What's new

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) (1 Viewer)

Shane Dodson

Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't disagree more. Practical FX/CGI was tremendous, and never overpowered the story. I even enjoyed the complete and total absurdity of Magneto's "relocation" of the Golden Gate Bridge. At last...a comic book villain doing something you would only find in a comic book!

Regards,

- S.D.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"With its 44 million opening day... there's no way Fox isn't going ahead with X4!"

Yea Halle has already given a statement that she would clear her schedule to play Storm again becuase she "loves the characters so much"

Give me a fuckin break man

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is why I said "for some of us" which doesn't mean everybody that didn't read the comics. There are always exceptions to everything.

Crawdaddy

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'll echo the "frustration" sentiment of someone else here. I actually liked the movie, but as I said earlier (the post may have been moved to this thread, not sure) I felt there was more than enough material for two films here.

Cure/Good Phoenix and dealing with her return in X3, some personal catastrophy happens (Xavier/Scott's death) that pushes her over the edge into Dark Phoenix.

Dark Phoenix and the aftermath in X4.

Just the fact that such an epic arc was given short thrift due to studio politics is the most frustrating thing ever, but given what the film makers had to work with and the self-sabotage by the studio I think the movie we got ended up about as good as it could have.

MatS

Screenwriter
I don't know about the graininess but I will say I almost asked for my money back due to the quality of the print at my showing

burn marks, artifacts, anti piracy dots, jumpiness
you would think you could get a good/unworn print on opening night

no wonder people prefer their home theater to going to the cinema

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, I (and a small group of people at work) took yesterday off to see the first show. All of us-including the rest of the people in the theater - were having a blast. Laughing, cheering, etc. broke out at all the right times. We were expecting a good time and we got it. :)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I was so-so on the movie. Here's the brief up/down:

BEST PART:
- The only part of X3 that had the same human touch/feel was Magneto in the church, when asked about why he didn't have tattoos. "I was once tattooed, and I swore a needle would never again touch my skin." (Or something to that effect.) That was a chilly moment for me, and something that was really, for a lack of a better word, touching, about the first two that excluding this scene, X3 didn't have.

WORST PART (OK, 2 worst parts):
- Dialogue was pretty rough. Count me as thinking the "bitch" lines were out of place. Sometimes the small things, like Wolvie "flipping off" Cyke with his claw, or the "OK, you're a dick" when Cyke wanted to make sure Wolvie was Wolvie, were funny. The "bitch" lines just seeeed off.
- Why add a bunch of characters you're never going to use? Angel was in for 2 minutes, and saved his dad, that was it. I guess Angel helped set in motion the search for a "cure", but gimmee a break, the government could have done that and saved us another wasted plot point.

Doug

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Never read the comics. I and those with me really enjoyed it as a good start to the summer. Far better then MI:3 IMHO.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The facial CGI of the 20-years ago scenes with Xavier and Magneto made them look waxy to me.

Anyone think Scott's eye-blast into the lake were what was needed for the Phoenix to re-surface in corporeal form?

I really would have liked to have seen the Phoenix emerge from the water, instead of the less-than-optimal sequence (of pointing the camera at Scott and showing us his reaction to the white glow). It's a classic comic book cover (Uncanny X-Men #101).

Anyone notice Wolvie's facial hair was of differing degrees of fullness throughout the film?

Didn't Storm have an accent in the first X-Men film? Now, it's totally gone.

I still don't understand how it got so dark once the bridge is dropped on Alcatraz island.

The scenes of Wolvie slashing through the mutants in the forest (where the guy was throwing bone-ish daggars at him) was pretty clumsily staged, it looked like a first-time second unit director directed those scenes.

I still don't know how Juggernaught survived being phased through the floor after Kitty lets him go and he's stuck half-way (in the comics, that was instant death, more or less, for such an occurence).

Who casted Sandra Bernhardt as Arclight? :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The only part of X3 that had the same human touch/feel was Magneto in the church"

What about Beast reaction to his hand turning human when he appraoched Leech? I thought that was a great scene.The look on his face and his show of affection towards the child as well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A missed opportunity: I think the audience would have howled had the Beast walked even closer to Leech, only to reveal that Hank McCoy looks like Frasier!

Jim Ogilvie

Stunt Coordinator
I feel badly for those who are die-hard comic fans that feel this movie left them cold. I've never read an X-Men comic and am not into comics.

Having said that, I think this left me with little in the way of baggage/expectations. They definitely tried to cover too many storylines at once (shame to dismiss Rogue so out of hand, and Mystique would have been fun to see in human form a bit more, seeing her rage at being discarded).

Enjoyed the movie though. I'll buy the DVD to round out my collection, and look forward to perhaps an extended cut that fills in a few character gaps.

Leech, it seems to me, was a rather open ended prospect. While he appears to be apologetic to the mutants for his ability to disable their abilities, a future film could very well put him back centre stage as a not so pleasant fellow. I hope not though, the storyline of robbing mutants of their powers has run its course with this movie for better or worse.

Loved beast. Grammer was, as someone else said in a distant thread - inspired casting.

The tacked on scene after the credits. Interesting. I can just imagine that the scene after a hue and cry by focus groups, it does seem so very tacked on. They couldn't find a place in the film for that?

The magneto scene was a fitting finish. Gotta leave the sequel doors at least open a crack. :)

Thumbs up.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Saw this today, was a bit sad at the whole thing, took my youngest daughter,
14, with me to see it, even she was a bit depressed with the movie.

We didnt' stick around for after the credits, would someone post in a Spoiler
thread what was shown?
Thanks,
G2

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
As long as Patrick is engaging in fun nitpicking, I'll add one of my own:

When Scott had his hand in front of his face to shield himself from Phoenix's brightness, why didn't he raise it to the level of his eyes?

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Im glad the theater where I went actually warned the audience to stick around after the credits. I would have left if they hadn't because the film left me cold. Don't get me wrong. I give it 3/5 stars. It was entertaining and had its comic book moments. Storm and a lot of the characters actually performed superhero stunts like they do in the comics. I liked seeing Storm fly and using her powers. It was cool to see the "Fastball" special. However, other than Storm, Wolverine, and Magneto, no else had much to do. It was lacking in characterization. Even Jean Grey didn't have much to do but stand around (and she looked old too). Still, I liked it but not better than the first two movies.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Yeah, that was another thing that really bothered me. I think it would have been great to just see Juggernaut completely stopped, with most of the audience not knowing what just happened. Then there could have been a pan down that revealed that Juggs had been completely severed. It would have really shown what Kitty is really capable of, that's for sure.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Gary
Remember the mutant shown in Xaviers ethics class on the monitor with Moira. He was said to have no higher brain functions and no consciousness. Remember Xavier was talking about the ethics of placing someone elses consciousness in that body in order to save a life.The scene after the credits shows Moira checking on the mutant and the mutant turns to her slowly and says "Hello Moira" in Xaviers voice

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
I have now seen the movie twice. Once with my girlfriend, and once with my buddy. I really liked this movie. I don't think that it is as good as X-2, but I think that it might be a little better than the first.

What I really want to know is who gets to direct the fourth film. Do they go back to Singer who made better quality films? Or stay with Ratner, who made what will probably be the box office king of the three?

I am probably in the minority when I say that I like Ratner. I don't think that he is a director who adds a lot of atmosphere, and nuance to his movies, but he knows how to make a flick that audiences will like. I would think that Fox would like to greenlight X-4 soon, but will they wait to see how superman does, in order to see if Singer will do a sequel to that.

As for Ratner, I believe he is to start Rush Hour 3 this summer, so either guy could probably start working on X-4 buy Summer of next year. Singer, might be able to start by this Winter.

Either way I'm glad that we will most likely get another X-Flick.

tyler payne

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I never made the connection that the mutant with the purple hair was Psylocke (plus her camoflage power didn't scream "Psylocke" to me, either)

At the beginning of the film, when they showed Moira MacTaggert, I thought they had casted Elizabeth Hurley in the role, but then I looked closer, and figured out it was the lovely Olivia Williams playing Moira.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks