What's new

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) (1 Viewer)

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Well Moriarty over at AICN loved it but Harry hated it...figures...it also got 2 thumbs up. I think the general audience will love it, but the fans are going to have many problems with it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
While Moriarty's review made me slightly more optimistic, my impression of his review is that he liked X2 significantly less than I did so saying that X3 is of comparable quality doesn't necessarilly mean a whole lot to me.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A couple more reviews are up on AICN from Quint and Massawyrm. Massawyrm's is actually more of a rant than anything. I pretty much stopped reading after a few paragraphs.

I have a feeling that Quint's is probably the closest to reality: some cool moments, but for the most part a mixed bag that probably needed more work.

Really, I don't understand the way Fox has handled the franchise. It doesn't seem to matter how well the films do, that Fox will always treat it like it deserves to be with the B team. They underfunded the first one, and it looks like they rushed this one out to "beat" Superman. Really, what is the deal?

Jason

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Two separate issues, I think. The first movie was rushed because it was an unknown then- would it do huge numbers, Blade-like, numbers, bomb completely, etc? Now it's seen as one of Fox's most valued franchises and, as such, is used strategically- therefore it was going to be released May 2006 come hell or highwater, director or no director. And futher, based on the interview that the screenwriters gave to CHUD, the studio went so far as to mandate which characters would be included, how much screentime each would get, etc.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
What's interesting to read in all of these reviews is that they think it will do amazing with general audiences but not the core fanbase. Probably exactly what Fox wanted in the first place.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

I would think any studio would prefer this scenario with any film.....if given the choice. ;)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I think the series has followed like the "Star Trek" films. X-Men III: The Search for Jean Grey.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Search For Spock is my second favorite Trek film,Khan being #1 of course..

Im seeing it at midnight tonight.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I could be wrong but didnt the same guy(s) who wrote the second one write this one? Singer didnt write the 2nd one, he just directed it so we really cant blame it on the Ratner for the lack of emotional pathos (especially since he came to the project late).
From the many reviews I have read they state the same thing that there are many thngs that could have been explored but were not.
I think they went more for the action element the the story but I havent seen it yet so I will weigh in later.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Nope. Singer took his writing crew with him to Superman. The two guys who wrote X3 are new to the franchise. CHUD has a pretty good interview with them re: the project and some of the difficulties.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I think I know which shot in the movie is going to be every guy's favorite. :D

I enjoyed it. Since it was Brett Ratnet and not Bryan Singer behind the camera, my expectations weren't as high as they could have been. It's obvious that Ratner would rather shoot action than actually follow up some of the questions posed in the movie, such as ethical cleansing, genetic altering, etc.

Did Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde) remind anyone else of Linda Cardinelli (Freaks and Geeks)?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
So, essentially, because of Fox's mishandling of the franchise, we just get an OK film...not the true X3 that X2 promised. Is that what I'm hearing?

Still looking forward to it but the expectations are on ice, now.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Seems like many are blaming Fox for X3 not living up to its potential...but I'm wondering how Avi Arad and Marvel are getting off the hook? Aren't they responsible in some sense for shepherding the filmmaking of their comic book franchises?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Chris,

You raise an interesting point. Why didn't Arad and Marvel step in to try and persuade Singer to stay on eventhough Fox was dragging their feet with signing? Did they want Singer to go?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks