What's new

*** Official WATCHMEN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Hardly the point the prior poster offered up, now is it? It wasn't someone that "wasn't into the movie" it was someone with kids who felt the film was inappropriate or offensive.

But let's probe this a bit more ... would you stick in your seat for a film you are praying for to end simply because you paid $10.50 for it? Or would you get up and leave?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just read an account by someone I know that at his screening, a pregnant woman left the film after Blake gunned down the Vietnamese pregnant woman. It happens.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
The couple sitting next to me Friday evening left 2/3 of the way through the film. I also saw a mother towing three young boys out shortly after that. The latter made me glad and angry; I attended the 10 PM screening of a very R rated film that goes for three hours. WTF are you doing, lady, bringing 10 year old children to the movie? In this day and age, there's no freaking way you can't learn what you need to know about a movie before showing up at the theater.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Which Alan Moore took from an old Outer Limits episode, "The Architects of Fear" (and later referenced the Control Voice just to underline that the borrowing was intentional.) He got some flack for its unoriginality at the time.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator

It seems like no one liked Goode's smugness but I thought it worked well for the character. But he is so consistently criticized for the performance I thought I was the only one that liked his performance.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree, but I've wondered why they don't put the MPAA's "This film is rated..."
message on the screen, with the rating and reasons for it, before theatrical films like they do on all the DVD's?

Seems like it would be one way to get the clueless to leave the theater before the film actually begins if they've arrived expecting something child-friendly then see the big "R" rating screen come up.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know Alan Moore was against this film (because he felt burned in the past)and had his name taken off and his cut given to the comics artist. I wonder if seeing how accepting the movie is amongst the fans. Will he see it (if he already hasn't). Or come out to maybe do a commentary on the eventually release.

On a side note. I never read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And i know the comic was much different from the movie. But, I really liked the movie. (ducks for cover ;) )

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

someone with kids doesn't get a pass for leaving early, they shouldn't have been there.

I have only left a movie early one time that was when me and a group went to see a movie called
"If you don't stop it or you'll go blind"
or
"can i do it till i need glasses"
Doesn't matter same basic movie.
when we realized what the movie was and that it wasn't funny, we left.
that was about 1981. I was about 18.

so yes I would stay for the entire film.
that's why I went.
If people need to leave before a movie is over becasue
they took children to a movie like this then that's their fault for
not reading up on the movie to see why it was rated R/

As for the pregnant woman, that's completely different.
easy to see why she left.

Rich I'm wondering why you need to make reason for anyone who left early.
Do you find yourself leaving movies before they are over?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think god could come down from the heavens and tell him that the movie rocked and he'd still never watch it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I know they say "Never say never" but I'm saying "Never".

EDIT: I wish he'd watch it just because I think it would be funny to hear him rant and rave about how much hated it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I never felt Ozymandias was smug in the comics, and even then, his smugness is not what bothers me most about Goode's performance. He doesn't have the presence required for the character. What is chilling about Ozy is that he is not a total jackass.

Romier (over at LCVG) illustrated to me something I really, really, really missed. Ozymandias did not get an "origin" bit, something explaining how he got to the point he got to. You got his speech to the captains of industry, but that wasn't sufficient. I think the film would have been more powerful had we felt Ozymandias was akin to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan a bit more. If we felt more attached to him.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Dave Gibbons is behind the project 110%, and Snyder was hoping that Dave's endorsement would at least get Moore to take a look at the movie. But as of last September, Moore remains unrepentant. I got the feeling that Zack Snyder's ultimate geek fantasy was to have Alan Moore rave about how great the movie adaptation was.

Marvelman/Miracleman is still unproduced, but that ending is kind of out there.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Presumably this is director's cut material? The entire Tales of the Black Freighter thing by itself is supposed to reflect and comment on his story but I don't know if it really works that way as a separate dvd release.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I hope a) it is director's cut material and b) said director's cut gets a theatrical release this summer. Even if so, I don't believe the connection such material would make is ancillary. I think it is key. Ozy is "us", not "them". Which is part of the horror. He's the ultimate "greater good" type of guy. Anyways, I do hope it is included in the LOOONG version. That might play a bit better for me.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
She is absolutely phenomenal in Sin City.. but I loved her in the spy kids film, but believing she had a pack of kids was tricky
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Glad to see so many in agreement that Veidt/Night Owl was horribly miscast. That was a really subtle role and the guy they chose just played boring all the way through. No chemistry between him and Laurie, who was too young, by the way, and should have been smoking her little bubble cigarettes. Little touches like that are what make characters interesting. The fact that they were both so lame went a long way toward bogging the story down, especially in the first half of the film.

The musical choices were hackneyed and unimaginative. Watchtower again? Hallelujah AGAIN!?!? I think there should be a rule that no one can ever use Hallelujah to score a film again. I think this was another missed opportunity - Didn't much of the action take place in the 80's? How about using some Bauhaus or Ultravox or Cure tunes? Maybe a little out there but it's creative risks that turn a good film into a great film.

And in the end, that's what we have - a decent film that didn't go far enough or take enough risks to become a truly great film, probably in an attempt to appeal to a broarder audience, but the irony is that I just don't see this story having mass appeal at all. By playing the middle ground and keeping things a little safe, they don't really satisfy anyone. With a movie like this, I think you really have to go for it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought Patrick Wilson did a great job. When we were "dream casting" Captain America months and months ago, I believe his name came up several times. I think he's an exceptional actor, and I thought he did well as Nite Owl. Especially towards the end.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
On a musical note, I agreed that the Leonard Cohen song need not grace a movie for a long time, thanks. That said, I did love that the muzak in the background when he met Lee Iacocca was "Everyone Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. That was the kind of fun musical usage I love. After BSG, who needs "watchtower" but the lyrics do kind of fit the mood and the situation.

Let's face it, though...it was set in 1985 but it wasn't THE 1985 we all remember (if we were there then, you whippersnappers). It was some quasi-futuristic one that had little to no resemblence to the 80's we were growing up in. It was a project of the 80's, not about it (directly, anyway). This was actually a bigger switch from the original book than the squid, really. In my opinion, anyway (never liked the squid that much).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but do we all remember her from this film???

Second from the right...

Troop Beverly Hills

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks