What's new

War of the Worlds (2005) (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully one of these days Spielberg will have a change of heart regarding deleted scenes and such. The Camelot scenes (after the ferry section) mentioned above are a Spielberg holy grail.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finally sat down and watched the digital 4K today.
It’s still one of my favorite Spielberg movies.
Other then the Robbins part being a couple of minutes too long, and it didn’t bother me at all this time, the movie is just about the right length.

I can even forgive the son miraculously getting through the battle on the hill now.

Stuff I loved.
The battle horns. Super unsettling.
The fire train. A complete surprise and unexpected. And terrifying.
Dakota Fanning stole the movie and Cruise was pretty terrific too especially when he sang the lullaby to her. Might be the best non Tom Cruisey movies.
The camera following in and around the van when they were driving up the highway.
There was a shot that had no dialog for about 20 seconds. Tom and the kids were arguing, the camera pans around and goes out of the van then whooshing back in and the talking continues. That 20 seconds or so of no dialog was great to just give us a moment to breath and them too.

The “action” starts almost immediately and practically never lets up.
Watching the lightning form the street then the back yard in the beginning was a great viewpoint. The Bridge in the background provided a great scale as to what we were all looking at.

The street unscrewing was clearly a nod to the ‘53 movie when the top of that ship unscrewed.
Cruise running the the neighborhood while nearly everyone around him was vaporized and then he gets home and Fanning keeps asking him what’s all over him.
Crushing.

The sound. The Atmos really put you into it.
Especially those horns.
The sounds of the people getting vaporized.
This movie is DARK and scary and great.

The last 5 or so pages of this thread really went off the rails.
Lots of missing posts and comments to posts that aren’t there anymore.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
From my dedicated HT days when I had bass kickers in the recliners and, ultimately, a D-Box chair, the lightning scene is one of the greatest pieces of bass content I’ve ever experienced. It’s almost like I was on a rollercoaster!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks