What's new

*** Official VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

billjames

Auditioning
Real Name
bill james
It may have unseated The Dark Knight as my favorite film of the y
maybe I'll have to go see it

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It's better than The Dark Knight? That must mean Vicky Cristina Barcelona is the best movie of all-time...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've been really looking forward to this since it's Cannes debut. There have been some mediocre reviews out there, but the really positive ones, including the one here, have go me excited.

I've been able to appreciate a lot of Allen's work in the past 2 decades, so I think I'll enjoy this one.

~T

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Maybe I should take the praise down a notch in case people get disappointed. I loved the movie, but that's just me. Don't know if it'll work for everyone. The movie's a bit pessimistic and embodies Allen's views on life and relationships. I happen to share similar views so I was right on that train.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let's not start that. The Dark Night and Vicky Christina Barcelona are two different films in two different genres that operate on two different sets of rules. One is an action extravaganza fantasy and the other is a small, intimate relationship drama with a sense of humor about human frailty. Comparing one film to the other is just dumb.

Woody Allen's latest film is a wise, poignant, insightful character study from one of the great dramatists of cinema and easily one of the best films of the year.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Richard, for you to call this movie one of the best of the year, means you are comparing it to other movies. Regardless of genres, movies get compared to each other all the time. You should be used to it by now. And by the way, I was only joking with my previous post.

~T

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sure.
No harm done.

I urge everyone to give Woody Allen's latest film a look. He is essentially an art film director. His work has always reflected a European sensibility in accord with the European films that influenced him. Now he is working in Europe. The shoe fits, though he is still an American film maker with a unique and special voice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Aside from the good to great movies, I feel Woody has only made several average movies. I was really pleased with his latest effort. It's one of his best movies ever.

After the disapointing Cassandra's Dream that felt like his was giving a half-hearted effort, this is really one of his best direction, especially with regards to the visuals. He does a great job with the cast, the choice of music, the pacing and editing, the unique narration; everything fits together really well.

The cinematography is just gorgeous. Great shots of Spain and some really nice composition.

The entire cast was just great. The standout for me was the newcomer Rebecca Hall. There's talks of Penelope Cruz getting an Oscar nod, but I'd love to see one for Hall, too. In fact, I'd like to see nominations for screenplay, directing, and cinematography.

~T

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I definitely agree. I think she gives the best performance in the film and her character is the heart of the movie. Unfortunately, she probably won't get much recognition from it. If anything, it's the big flag that marks her as an actress to look out for.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Definitely a Rohmeric tale, as Ebert suggests. Looooooooooooooved it, will see it again.

--
H -- Eric Rohmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks