What's new

*** Official VAN HELSING Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that it was okay...a mixed bag, like most other summer movies. Even with the terrible screenplay, I thought that Richard Roxburgh did a good job with Dracula, and even Frankenstein was decent. Of course the effects were the stars in this one, and they were fantastic. There was only one that really bothered me, and that was when the first vampiress was killed. Horribly done. Other than that it was all really good, especially the Helsing wolf.

I'd grab the DVD if there were an extensive making-of featuring the digital and make-up effects. I love that stuff.

Yousaf

Second Unit
Pardon my french, but goddamn did this movie blow big hairy goat balls. I mean, I realized it's a big budget summer action film and so I turned my brain off before entering the theater but it still got to me. I'm amazed that this movie could be released with that script and acting...Q and Frankenstein were likeable, Dracula's acting seemed pretty good (especially in comparison to everyone else), and the redhead vampire bride's boobs were entertaining the first few times I saw them, but that's really the best I can say about this movie. It really was painful trying to watch this.

This will probably be one of the few movies that I saw in a theater that I won't see again when it's released on DVD.

Can a movie have a negative star rating? :)

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I went with such low expectations since everybody was lambasting this movie. And frankly after seeing it, the reviews were right.

I found the beginning very good (which raised my expectations just a little bit) but then when they get to Transylvania, things deteriotes rapidly especially
the scene with Dracula and his two remaining brides, moaning and wailing about not having feelings

The roles of the Brides and Anna needed to be cast with better actresses (or better acting models in the case of the brides).
Can somebody explain to me what happened to Kate Beckingsale acting skills ever since the movie "Last Days of Disco"? You got to do more than just look good on a movie, you need to "act".

People have already expressed their sentiments in regards to the actor portraying Dracula which is pretty similar to mine.

However, I have to say that I liked the performances of Hugh Jackman and David Wentham but that's not saying much.

Universal is doing a massive marketing campaign promoting this movie by releasing the older classics again to the public. However, the irony is that fans of the "classics" will be the ones hating the new movie since it make a mockery out of the Black and White movies.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, Underworld didn't make as much as this movie probably will and it has 2 sequels in the pipe! YIKES!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, some of this was really silly and over the top, but it was fun. It was just an old fashioned fun movie, and for that, I liked it. I said to my friends when we came out of the theater that the movie was like what you would have made at age 10 if you had the ability. (This was before I read Harry Knowles' review, although I agree with him.) When I was about 7 or so (circa 1974), Marvel Comics had a big monster thing going, and monsters were very popular. This movie reminded me of that, and the characters in the movie interacted cleverly.

The movie wasn't great, but it was enjoyable. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to see a fun monster movie and not take it too seriously.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Vicki,

Why do you keep repeating you are going to see it again. You seem to want to go see it again to prove everybody wrong! Sorry but most of us hated it, are we allowed to?

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Underworld cost only 1/7 of what Van Helsing cost so it will likely be more profitable, at least as far as sequels go.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

And she enjoyed it- is she allowed to? Saying she will see it again is just putting across how much she enjoyed it. It is a discussion thread after all, so both positives and negatives are allowed.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to see it again. I love Universal Monster movies and this was right up there in the fun department. Everyone that I know has liked it. Can't wait for the dvd!

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Was that a buffed-up Wile E. Coyote playing the Wolfman?
I've never seen anyone else go off that many cliffs...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also laughed (mockingly) every time a werewolf fell over a cliff and into the water.

And what exactly did Van Wolfling do to kill Anna after she was shown to be almost indestructible otherwise earlier in the film when the Brides of Dracula were flying around the town? Perhaps Van Wolfling needed a Mentos.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I desperately wanted to like this movie, despite all forementioned reviews. I loved the first 7 minutes... of trailers. No seriously, I was digging it until they got into Transylvania, and it started to lose steam and eventually just began making fun of itself. I'm too young to remember any of those sorts of classic monster movie fares I'm sure many of you grew up loving, and all I can say is, "sorry" if you've seen Van Helsing. Did any of you also cringe at certain parts like when the Wolfman is howling with Kate Beckinsale's character in his arms, or everytime a werewolf fell in the water, or when Dracula's brides had any speaking parts?

At one point it seemed like this movie might make an excellent demo disc (not visually), but later it seemed many of you are right, and it was just really LOUD. I loved the Mummy, didn't care for Mummy Returns, and I'm afraid this movie marks as big a summer blockbuster disappointment as Men in Black 2. On another note, has anyone seen the Animated Van Helsing DVD, and if so, is it much better or just more of the same crap from this movie?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, I'll make it quick.

Good:
Beginning of the movie
Hugh Jackman

Bad:
Dracula
Dracula
Dracula (oh wait, I already said that... twice)
The score
Who am I kidding, everything else!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Yes, I also made a Wile E. Coyote comparison when I saw this.

Anyone else amazed that a big clue in this film was a MAD fold in?

Neil

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

My prediction from last night came true it seems...

$54.5 million++ so far.
Hate it all you want folks...the mainstream general public seems to like this stuff..me included. :)

:)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Box office does not indicate quality. McDonald's probably sells more hamburgers than anyone else. Are they the best?

Besides, this opening is $13.6 million lower than The Mummy Returns from 3 years ago. Perhaps word of mouth had something to do with that.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks