What's new

*** Official TWILIGHT Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Well, I purchased my tickets already for Friday. I have been rereading the series to sort of refresh my memory.

The buzz on this film is so HUGE here that theaters are selling out so fast. I bought my tickets a week ago and as of yesterday, most theaters are sold out for opening day.

I'm still not feeling the way they cast this film. Robert Patterson as Edward was an odd choice for me. He looks nothing like Edward or atleast how I invisioned him to be. The guy they have playing Jacob Black is not even close to the character in the book. The only one I feel they cast correctly was Bella Swan.

Here is hoping the movie kicks ass.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I must admit that i'm puzzled by this films hype.

I haven't read the books (I like vampires so perhaps I should) but as far as I can see the movie looks like your typical young emo vampire story.

I'll see it because like I said I like vampires but I don't see what's so great about it that everyone is making such a big fuss.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Having read the books, I must say that I don't actually care for some of the characters. Edward (the one most young girls are drooling over) comes across as too controlling and tad bit on the stalkerish side. The behavior between Bella and Edward makes me sick at times, because in this day and age of "girl power", Bella comes off as a needy, whiny, helpless doofus that can't seem to think straight or make any sort of decision without looking to Edward. I understand that this may seem romantic to the young girls who read these books, but MY GOD couldn't Stephanie Meyer have written a better character than Bell Swan?

Jacob Black is one of the few characters I enjoy. He seems sane for the most part and truly in love with Bella, giving her space to make mistakes, do what she wants, be with who she wants and not be so controlling over her life the way that Edward is.

I also enjoy Alice, Jasper, Angela and Charlie.

I know the Edward character is suppose to be this beautiful godlike boy who is all those things that girls want in a guy, but if my daughter ever started thinking it was okay for a guy to have that much power over her, I would be so upset.

As for the movie, I would be okay with them changing things up a bit in these characters so they aren't these obsessive, needy fools Meyer wrote. And YES, I understand it is her book and her story to tell, but young girls today need better role models from literature and film. I hope other mothers and fathers too, have read this series so they can have an open discussion with their kids about it and why this sort of behavior is not healthy and relationships shouldn't consume you to the point of no return.

I'm excited about the movie, because I have been enoying vampires lately and while it seems as if I hate this series (I really don't), I am excited to see how it translates to film.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Not only that but wouldn't Edward be arrested in some states? A 100 year old guy trying to pick up a 16 year old girl isn't the right message to send out.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Whoa. Jeff Wells liked it...

Turnaround :: Hollywood Elsewhere

Summit Entertainment is insisting on a no-review embargo on Catherine Hardwicke's Twilight for another 36 hours or so (12:01 am on Friday, 11.21), although the Chicago Tribune's Michael Phillips has said his review will be up tomorrow (i.e., presumably sometime late tonight online). It can be deduced that Summit is expecting a torrent of press negativity. Well, they're wrong. At least as far as this horse is concerned.
Before last night's all-media screening at Manhattan's AMC 25 a publicist got a mid-sized laugh when she told everyone to "keep your reactions to yourself until Friday." You could hear the murmuring responses..."right!," "in a pig's eye!," etc. You have to give Summit's top publicist Vivian Mayer props for laying down the law with such whip-cracking vigor, but not long after Twilight started I began saying to myself, "What are Mayer and her Summit bosses thinking? We all know that Titanic-level business among teenage girls this weekend is a foregone conclusion, but do Summit execs really understand what they have here?"

Due apologies to those middle--aged male journalists making smart-ass cracks outside the theatre after it ended, but they're wrong. They're living in their own world -- blinded, blocking, reactionary. Because within its own emotional teenage-girl, imagining-and-longing-for-the-ideal-boyfriend realm, Twilight... should I say this? I don't want to anger Vivian Mayer. But what publicist would be upset if a guy like myself, an unregenerate adult-movie, classic-movie, indie-movie, Pasolini-admiring, Kubrick-worshipping fan who hates sitting next to giggling groups of women in cocktail bars -- what if a guy like me said that this sucker works?

Because it does. On its own attitudinal terms and given what it's addressing and saying. And you can take that to the bank and put it in your IRA account. I've been in this racket for nearly 30 years and I know when a film is working so don't tell me.

Does saying "it works" constitute a review? I don't think so. It's a two-word declaration. Don't reviews have to be at least two or three paragraphs long?
I can at least describe the vibe in the room as it played. The crowd , which admittedly was at least half-packed with under-25 women, was with it -- engaged, attuned, emotional pores open. Some of them screamed when Robert Pattinson came on screen. Okay, the crowd chuckled here and there at this or that line of on-the-nose dialogue. Big deal. Forgive and forget. The movie had the crowd in the palm of its hand.

And I can at least describe a conversation I had with a sharp Manhattan female columnist in the outer foyer. "Whadja think?" I asked. "I liked it!," she said, nodding and wearing a serene little smile that spoke of resolution. Then she quickly added, perhaps thinking I was a hater and not wanting to argue, "I'm a girl." And I said, "And I'm a guy and I don't think it was half bad! In its own realm it works. And Pattinson is great! And Kristin Stewart is such a good actress that she knows how to finagle her dialogue and it all goes down pretty smoothly."

That's what I said to a colleague, okay? Street reportage, not a review. I think it's fair to say, eminently fair, that Twilight is a lot better than you might have been led to believe. Within the swoony romantic teen-girl ethos it's an absolute bulls-eye. I suspect it'll be the biggest power-hitting, repeat-viewing grand-slammer since Titanic. Possibly $200 million, I'm thinking. Young women were palpitating with pleasure as they spoke to a BBC video crew getting reactions outside the theatre.

Here are some talking points from the Tribune's Phillips:
1. Twilight "is low-keyed supernaturalism. Director Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen, Lords of Dogtown) doesn't go in for heavy blockbuster or franchise machinery. Likewise, Tuesday's preview audience at the AMC River East 21 seemed relatively subdued on the way out."

2. Kristen Stewart's Bella Swan "is far less the Victorian teen simp than she is in Stephenie Meyer's novel."

3. "The leads look pretty together.Stewart, who played the desert wild child in "Into the Wild," enters Deep Smolder Mode (Celibate Division) earnestly and well with Robert Pattinson, who's best known -- prior to Twilight -- as Cedric Diggory in two of the Harry Potter pictures and here plays Edward Cullen of the mysterious traveling Cullen clan."

4. "The musical score by Carter Burwell, a frequent Coen brothers colleague, is effective, subtly creepy. No bombast or big orchestral wows."

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well my 13yr old went to see it with a couple of her friends (She did read the book). They loved it and want to see it again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Twilight". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Twilight" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
On the heels of "Twilight" earning nearly $36 million during its opening day, Summit Entertainment released this announcement...

SUMMIT ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES TWILIGHT SEQUEL – NEW MOON

Los Angeles, CA November 22, 2008 – Summit Entertainment announced today that the studio is officially moving forward with the production of NEW MOON, the second installment of its filmed franchise TWILIGHT, the action-packed, modern day vampire love story. The movie will be based on the second novel in author Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series titled, New Moon. The first movie in the TWILIGHT franchise, the self-titled TWILIGHT, arrived in theaters this weekend to sold-out showings.

Stephenie Meyer stated, "I don't think any other author has had a more positive experience with the makers of her movie adaptation than I have had with Summit Entertainment. I'm thrilled to have the chance to work with them again on NEW MOON."

Starring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, TWILIGHT tells the story of 17-year-old Bella Swan who moves to the small town of Forks, Washington to live with her father, and becomes drawn to Edward Cullen, a pale, mysterious classmate who seems determined to push her away. But neither can deny the attraction that pulls them together…even when Edward confides that he and his family are vampires. Their unorthodox romance puts her in physical danger when Edward’s nemesis comes to town and sets his sights on Bella.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The best thing I can say about this film is that it introduced me to Ashley Greene (who plays Alice Cullen).

This is how she looks in the film:

This post has a few more photos of her with longer hair.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
My wife couldn't wait to see this Friday night. It was actually a very pretty movie. It made us wanna live in WA.

She will be glad to hear about the status of New Moon.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I've read it's mostly shot in Oregon.

I wouldn't say this is a better movie than Quantum of Solace, which I saw last week, but I enjoyed this more. Probably because I had low expectations. And it does work better with an audience full of giggling teenage girls. There are at least a half-dozen things that are patently silly, and they help punctuate them.

Overall, the cast is good. The women are quite attractive. Kristen Stewart does a good job anchoring the film. The weakest link is Pattinson; he makes some strange choices, but mostly he's OK.

The special effects were bad. Part of green-lighting the next film is spending more on effects. They could hardly do worse.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I'm hoping that with New Moon, they follow the book more closely and remember that it is about Bella and Jacob and NOT about Edward. I realize Pattison is a HUGE draw right now, but purists will be furious if they add scenes that are not in the book, like they did with Twilight.

I actually watched Twilight for a second time (didn't have to pay for it) and I caught even more little screw ups in it. I will give this one positive to the film, the scenery was beautiful and made me actually want to visit the places it was filmed. I actually liked the gritty, dark feel of the film, but sadly it was not enough to save it from being bad.

Tonnie

Auditioning
Real Name
Tonya Fields-Burks
Everyone seems so ultra confused and too cool about the movie and they "wonder" whats all the hype about? I'll tell you!

This is the mind of a 30 something year old woman. She is obviously a romantic with a bit of a bad girl side to her! When you are older and bored with life you will be able to appreciate this story. Don't any of you ever sit back for just a moment and ask yourself "Isn't there more than this? There must be more than this?" Or for one moment has a thought ever crossed your abondoned minds that it would be SO cool if these beings truly existed, be it vampires, fairies, etc.
It is a sad day in your life when you become a critic of the imagination, and not open yourself up to beauty or wonder! She got lucky! She is an obscure author with a tired story, and someone liked it enough to open their soul to it. This is life people! If someone likes you your in if they don't...well then your just one of the regular people.
Please don't loose the imagination and youth of romance...nomatter what form it may come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks