What's new

*** Official TROY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Also saw this at a sneak last night. My assessment runs about the same as Travers - a diverting action epic, though certainly not a great movie. But you have to expect a certain amount of cheesiness in an all-star sword 'n sandal epic. I will say that the film becomes progressively more involving as it unspools. It's long (2.5 hours, I think), but it didn't feel too long.

One thing I liked about the film was how it demonstrated that the "theft" of Helen was really only a pretext for the war. The film also divides the loyalties of the viewer in an interesting way - you're not necessarily sure which side to root for, as the film explores the motivations of the characters on both sides. There's really only one pretty clear-cut villain in the movie, but I won't spoil that for you.

Props to the lovely Rose Byrne (as Briseis), whom you may remember as Padme's right-hand girl in Attack of the Clones (the one who cries, not the one who dies). I, for one, thought she was cuter than Helen.

Sean Bean does indeed make a good impression as the crafty Odysseus, as does Eric Bana as Hector. Orlando Bloom's Paris is something of a wimp, but not entirely unsympathetic - I'd probably choose life/hot sex with Helen over death and glory as well. And Brad is ... well, Brad.

The film it reminded me of was, of course, Gladiator, and I'd say it compares favorably (then again, I think Gladiator is overrated). But Troy gets additional props in my book for its Pelennor Fields-sized battle scenes. Plus you get to see Orlando pick up a bow and arrow again.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. James Horner appears to have cribbed his music for...the sacking of Troy
...directly from his Perfect Storm score. There's this repeated four-note motif that appears to have been copied verbatim. Let the Horner-bashing commence.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

Oh don't tell me James "I phone the score in" Horner did Troy.:angry: Anytime I turn to XM channel 27:Cinemagic and there's a Horner movie score being played I can tell it within 10 seconds without looking at the display window. He has to be the worse offender of reusing his own material over and over and over and over...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Troy" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Troy" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Having just seen Troy, I must say that I do feel a whole lot better now this week after last week’s major belly-flop of a disappointment with Van Helsing to start the summer-festival of movies. I'm now, once again, primed for more blockbuster action in the coming weeks at my local cinemaplex with The Day After Tomorrow next at bat on 27th May.

I enjoyed Troy more than I did with Gladiator. It's a better movie, IMO. In a one on one battle against Achilles and Maximus, my money would definitely be on Pitt.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I am now interested to hear Gabriel Yared's score which was deemed too old fashioned, Horner has to be one of the most annoying composers working today. Not only does he reuse a lot of his material he overscores the whole film, the music is almost as loud as the battle scenes. When Pitt fights off those soldiers with the branding stake the music hits a loud and way too over dramatic tone that made me laugh. I read that Horner scored Troy in 2 weeks - it shows. I probably would have bumped this up half a star if it wasn't for this score. Reading through a few reviews I haven't seen them bring up the score as a negative so maybe i'm alone on this one. :)

I know you brought this up in your review Steven, Bana seemed off. I definitely preffered his performance in Hulk. He did have some good moments but he didn't have a lot of meaty dialogue. Pitt is the star of this film and while it took a bit for me to get into his acting style he was easily the most interesting character.

Regarding James Horner's score, I thought the most effective use of music was during the Hector/Achilles fight; the sparse texture and simple repeated drum rhythm kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. Brilliant!

Jefferson, I don't remember the "Perfect Storm" soundtrack, but the main theme that kicks in near the end of "Troy" I immediately recognized as one of the main themes of Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" of 1910. Not the first time a film composer has ripped off an existing work by a classical composer.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Kinda surprised that there are midnight showings of this. Guess the recent snow makes it hard to feel like summer movie season. That said I'm off to see it right now. Who needs to be lively at work the next day? :D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
For those that have seen the movie: is Brad Pitt's acting as stiff and rigid as it looks in some of these clips? I'm watching Charlie Rose and Pitt looks like a CG model! Blink, Brad, blink. Show some expression on that face.

Maybe when I see the movie I'll have a different impression, but right now Pitt seems really out of place amongst some of these much better actors.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Just got back. I thought it was great, hardly a slow moment in it. Of course the film broke just before the Trojan Horse.

I read the Iliad long long time ago but still wasn't that familiar with the story.

I don't know how many more movies I can watch that show huge lines of armies clashing together. It was cool, and pretty well done but is now such a cliche of any movie of this type and it all seems like deja vu.

Was it me or is there not a single unattractive woman in all of Troy? :D

I didn't find the score that bad, but it wasn't as good as say Gladiator's.

Also, how many of those burning alter things did they make in this thing? Seeing it done for every single character started to get old. They didn't move me in the way that I suppose they should have.

Overall I thought the cast did an outstanding job but Pitt was pretty stiff throughout but not terrible. Pitt's power move seemed kinda silly everytime he did it. The whole opening scene got a pretty good laugh from my audience, especially when the big guy stepped forward.

Coolest trick in the whole thing was the rolling balls. Wasn't expecting that. :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's my review for those who enjoy reading such garbage. ;)

4.5 out of 5 stars - AND I movie I'll see again theatrically, which is a rather rare thing. Hope everyone digs it!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Saw it midnight last night. Still exhausted. No big review. Not bad, not great, but better summer fare then what I think is coming. Some great cinematography (IMHO) and good sound.

Too tired. Will write more later ;)

Haroon Mir

Auditioning

First time chiming in - no I still think its Horner. Recycling King exemplified in Sneakers/Beautiful Mind, Titanic/Sneakers, Enemy at the Gates/Star Trek II/Mask of Zorro, Aliens/Die Hard, Aliens/Clear and Present Danger. Many many more I'm sure.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
The review in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution mentions the score as a big negative.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Mark wrote:Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

The bit of music that I'm referring to is not really a theme, per se, but more of a repeated motif (if there's a difference - my thin knowledge of music is showing). Anyway, it's four quick notes on the brass that recur periodically. And I swear Horner did the exact same thing during some of the final storm scenes in Perfect Storm.

--Jefferson Morris

David Judah

Screenwriter
I liked it better than Gladiator, but not by a huge margin. Peterson did a good job of condensing it down, and it kept a good pace overall, although it did drag down a few times.

I really enjoyed the spectacle, the weapons & armor, and the way the fights unfolded--there were some unique moves we haven't seen before, especially from Pitt(Achilles)and the fight between Hektor and Achilles exceeded my expectations.

I'm glad they slipped in Aeneas at the end as an ode to Virgil's The Aeneid(which mentions the story of the Trojan Horse which I don't think appears in The Iliad).

It's been awhile since I read the book, but I think Ajax, Menelaus, and Agamemnon, get the short end of the stick in this version.:)

It's a very entertaining spectacle overall.

DJ

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
this movie kick serious ass. I really hope that it is remembered at oscar time, because Mr. Peterson and crew deserve best picture so far. I think Brad Pitt should be nominated for an oscar as best actor. He was in top form. heck, even johnny depp was nominate for pirates, and this is a more dramatic movie.

This is movie magic the reason you watch movies in the first place. I think everyone should see this movie, not just as a movie, about war in general. I thought it was very cool that the movi was more fair about both sides of the war, and not taking sides.
this is a much superior movie over gladiator and even braveheart (a classic I know).

It was my friend that pointed out the polical stuff (which I promise not to get into) however If people do watch it, I think they will understand the theme.. its weird and funny that history can repeat itself at times.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks