What's new

***Official TPM Audio thread (Lasderdisc comparison, Volume probs, charts, etc) (1 Viewer)

mark_d

Second Unit
I don't know David600, but he seems to have a bee in his bonnet about HTF. I find that odd.
Anyway, back to the issue at hand, he claims that people defending the DVD are claiming the LD is overcooked. I don't see this. People were claiming that the LD was OTT before any DVD was available.
I'm still looking forward to making up my own mind and comparing the DVD with my memory of the fantastic cinema experience I had. If it lives up to that, then I'll be a happy camper.
I s'pose I should get out of this thread now because I've just remembered it's DVD vs LD and I don't have either, so I'm just being Mr Speculation.
CYA
Mark

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Well ... I'm very happy with the bass on this disk. I do, however, listen at -10dB from ref. and run my sub 10dB hot. I like my bass loud, and this disk definately delivers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When it was shown at the Mann Village in Westwood, the bass was not overpowering at all. It was a very well balanced mix. Are you guys sure the LD mix isn't altered in any way from the theatrical release?
That's what shocked me about seeing TPM in such a well maintained and well equipped theater. I was expecting to be blown back into my seat and plastered there, but that was not the case. It was dynamic, but without being overpowering. When I first read of the enormous LD bass, I thought that it might be amped from the versions I saw in 2 very good theaters (twice at the Mann Village, once at Mann Chinese, once at each digital screening in The Valley).
When I get the DVD next week I'll know if it accurately represents what I remember to be the sound of this movie in the theaters.
--- edit ---
I meant to say Mann Chinese, not National, and have corrected it.
[Edited last by Carlo Medina on October 10, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Who cares.... When is "The Fast and the Furious" coming out?? Best sounding movie I have ever heard in the theater.
When I saw TPM in that same theater, I thought the sound was a bit weak as well. While it was still pleasing to the ear, I thought it could have been better. I guess like others have said, it's only a matter of opinion. I am more disappointed to hear the video transfer has halo's. If you ask me, that is very poor.
------------------
PJ

Gruson

Second Unit
On seeing Ep. 1 in the theater, let me tell you how my experiences were.
I saw it 3 times at this one THX DD EX theater and it was perfection. They had it CRANKED and the bass hit you HARD. I loved it and could not believe my ears. You could actually feel the bass rip through the seats.
I then went to 2 other different THX DD EX theaters and ended up walking out of both. They were not turned up at all and there was no bass during the explosions or lightsaber battles. It was actually very pathetic. I like to feel the movie, not just heart it :)
The LD brings back the good theater experience where the DVD is more like the bad theater experience.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Rob,
None of your comments have steered me wrong yet, and between yours and Obi's analysis, I believe this will be one of the best, if not the best, soundtracks ever. I'll let you know on Tuesday, unless I can snag a copy early somewhere.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I have the import LD but never got to hear the 5.1 track. My LD player doesn't have output for 5.1
The DVD is coming very soon...I will enjoy it and retire my LD with pleasure.
------------------
LuvLBX

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
the audio on SW: The Phantom Menace is VERY low and VERY lacking
Well, turn the bloody thing up then!
icon14.gif

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I've voiced some of my concerns about the DVDs audio in enough threads now. All I will say here is this, the LD and the DVD indeed sound different, but to my ears they're still just as impressive as one another.
Dan (UK)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
So let me get this straight. A third party company comes up with a sound mix. And the creators of the actual content come up with a sound mix. And you complain when they don't sound the same. Further than that, you side with the third party company? I'm sorry, but I have to believe Skywalker has the best idea of how this should sound.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I should say the DVD's sound is not as dynamic as the LD and the DVD sounds flatter.
I find the use of the word "dynamic" used in this particular context to be a bit funny. Everyone is saying the LD is louder than the DVD, so by that very definition of Digital audio the Laserdisc would actually have less headroom for dynamics.
Now I'm not saying either is using the full range of the format-- but by being 4-5db louder, the LD eliminated 4-5db of possible headroom extension.
I have heard the LD a few times and was pretty impressed-- but The LFE did seem a bit excessive- to the point where dialog seemed to get the sub jumping a bit. It just sounded to me like everyone's first HT system which has the LFE cracked 20db over ref due to the novelty of the first experience with subwoofer. Bassy, but not in a pleasing way- rather like being behind a bassmobile at a traffic light.
However, that said- I am beginning to wonder what the hell the deal is with lacking DVD releases. I saw TPM at Fox and there were certainly picture issues which even a 4 year old would have noticed-- why would lucasfilm and THX put this disc out with simple color saturation problems that would be simple to fix?
I don't buy ALL the people who claim LD superiority, but certainly some issues are valid. I have heard certain soundtracks myself that the LD killed the DVD, with identical format (DD 5.1). Heck, if anything DVD should have the advantage- but it hasn't.
I'd love to hear someone (anyone) put forth a theory as to why this is happening.
On a side note, I toured Fox's DVD production facility in LA and saw for myself that they were DIRECTLY DUMPING theatrical mags and encoding them for DVD. No remix, no tweaking beyond rear channel adjust required for the difference btwn HT and Theatrical calibration. These were raw theatrical stems dumped, locked to picture and encoded (although Lucasfilm did all the work on TPM DVD...).
So why?
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Anyone wanna sell me their palm pilot?? Click here

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's time someone runs comparative charts of the two tracks but I'm utterly convinced a different mix has been used. No wonder, different companies did the mixes (Pioneer vs FOX/Skywalker ranch ).
If this is the case, then can't we just trust that the DVD is the correct version since Lucas did the DVD version?
From what I've heard the DVD is a much more even mix. Bass shouldn't be the only thing you hear in the movie, there are plenty of other sounds in the higher frequency range you are supposed ot be hearing too.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Not to compare...I don't have the DVD and won't until next Tuesday when it comes out (it's not worth hunting for, IMO). I do have the LD b/c I couldn't bear the idea of VHS. So I just wanted to explain the value of my $80 LD (that is not valueless) to those who think others are just playing the "nyah-nyah" game (and I am sure some are). I bought the LD b/c I wanted to see it again on my big screen in DD5.1. So for the last year, I have been able to watch the podrace in 5.1 and I have easily gotten my $80 out of that. I am hoping the DVD will surpass (I am certain it's picture will) the LD, and I am certain it will be fine. That being said, I used the podrace to show off my system. If it sounds "overcooked," well it fits, because GL SW movies aren't exactly subtle masterpieces. The PODRACE should be crazy bass. It's an OVERCOOKED movie! That being said, I am sure the DVD will rock. As for the third party/first party argument...Lucasfilm and ILM and THX can't ever be wrong, and how would it look if they were shown up by Pioneer...in a word, FUNNY! I don't think everything Lucasfilm is gold. GL (and cohorts) have been wrong before. I didn't mean to write this much. Sorry
biggrin.gif

Chuck

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
can't we just trust that the DVD is the correct version since Lucas did the DVD version?
Probably, but if one's preference is subjectively based, it doesn't matter.
In other words, people can (and some apparently do) have the attitude that "I don't care what the 'correct' version is supposed to be. I like a lot of bass (along with some other subjectively determined qualities), and I think the version with the most bass is the best one".
In that case, what one likes trumps what the filmmakers intended.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have watched the DVD twice so far. I have never heard the LD and right now dont care too, as the sound mix on this DVD is so dizzying and amazing. The bass was just right. It flowed naturally from everywhere. It was kind of invisible instead of overbearing like most soundtracks. I rolled in gently, hits you in the chest, and rolls out before you know what happens. The channel blending on this is perfect. I have never heard anyhting better. The final duel of the jedis is a dizzying mix of sound as it sounds like the sabers are coming from everywhere at once, yet jives with the action on screen. I love the subtle bass that enhances the hum of the sabers, and how there is a quick punch of bass as the sabers clash. This is simply the most exciting sound mix I have yet heard. I have finally found my U-571 beater for demo purposes. And as for anyone who says it sucks there is no DTS on this disc...I could care less. Just crank this baby up and marvel at a genius sound mix.
How in the hell did Matrix win the oscar over this for sound?
------------------
card11.jpg

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I guess if it weren’t for the extended “Pod Race” scene on the DVD I could somehow attempt to sync the Audio from my Laserdisc and the Video from my DVD for the perfect Episode One nirvana.
Shawn S

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
From the small bit from the LD I heard at Widescreen Review, I thought the DVD sound was better overall. The LD just sounded too loud - kinda like when making tapes and the recording level is too high. If it's more bass you want, then just raise the subwoofer volume a little.
Now there was one thing that was way better on the DVD - the video. I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference.
However, from the screening I saw of the DVD at the FOX theatre, I can't say I really care if the DVD is "lacking". It sounded awesome, no matter how you look at it.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks