What's new

*** Official TOY STORY 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt, the holding hands sequence in the incinerator touched a lot of people...my wife especially. She was talking about that sequence as we left the theater and she references it every time we discuss the film.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Originally Posted by BrettB
The series has a legitimate claim to best trilogy.

Let me crunch my own numbers. I even searched the forums for old ratings of the big trilogies (though time has worn away some of the numbers, but just a little).

By the numbers...

Star Wars (27)

Star Wars: 10

ESB: 10

ROTJ: 7

Lord of the Rings (28)

FOTR: 10

TTT: 9 (was a 10)

ROTK: 9 (was a 9.5)

The Matrix Trilogy (hey, I love it) (26.5)

The Matrix: 9

Reloaded: 10

Revolutions: 7.5 (was a 9)

Toy Stories (29)

Toy Story: 9.5

Toy Story 2: 10

Toy Story 3: 9.5

Of course, that is just a number. Not all 10's (or 8's...) are equal, and films are more than just their viewing experience. They gestate, they grow, they fall off, whatever. Spin-offs, discussions, life events surrounding the films, etc, etc...these all play in a role. Overall impact also matters...how three films tie together into a cohesive story with strong themes and resonance.

Star Wars will always be the series that gave me a universe in which to imagine my own stories and ideas, especially as a young kid. I grew up with it, so Star Wars carries nostalgia the others cannot touch. Lord of the Rings totally swept me away, giving me what SW had given me, and quite a bit more. The second Matrix film is one of my favorite films of all time.

Anyways, I was 21 years old when I first saw Toy Story. I've only seen the films as an adult, and only this one as a parent. But you cannot argue with the series. It started as strong as any of the others, and ended stronger than all of them. It also maintained a consistency none of the other trilogies could touch. ESB might be the greatest thing ever (and it's close), but Toy Story 2 is just about as good. And TS3 is a damn sight better than ROTJ or Revolutions (and for my money ROTK).

Ranking any film series against one another is somewhat pointless. Absent that critical caveat, Pixar has arrived at the crowning achievement of "sequelled" filmmaking. Three incredible films that stand alone or extend each other naturally, with wisdom and passion. The themes are both self-contained, and related across the films. The ostensible third Nolan Batman would have to be the best of the three to allow that trilogy to come close, and that is a very, very tall order.

Man, I love Pixar.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Without a doubt, the holding hands sequence in the incinerator touched a lot of people...my wife especially. She was talking about that sequence as we left the theater and she references it every time we discuss the film.

It's the moment we talk about as well. It's as close as a film this year has come to what I would call "art" a moment that just reaches inside you and says: what do you think? It was beautiful, sad, happy, a gut check.. all at once.

In the series I tend to go: (1) TS2, (2) TS3, (3) TS.. but all of them are very good... just that TS2 may be one of the most brilliant films I've seen and that's a hard standard to hit. But that moment in TS3 was a jaw dropper. It's what sets Pixar apart from the competition. Most other animated film, and even traditional dramas, would have to make the characters engage in exposition to get their point across... but not here. Instead, they leave that moment to the audience to embrace.. to read the subtext and body language and evaluate it themselves. That is an insanely bold move that a lot of films won't take.. and no other animated film maker would ever attempt.

I've determined what makes Pixar movies good is that Pixar believes the audience is "smart enough" to get it, and they don't spoon feed you. No matter what Pixar film I watch, I always think about not only what is said.. but what goes unsaid. The things that you say to yourself: "This is what they meant.."

This is my favorite trilogy. I love the LOTR series. And Star Wars series. Both are favorites. But from 1-3, no series I can think of has been nearly as consistently fantastic

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Marcus Theaters (Midwest) are offering the 2D version on Wed/Thur nights for their Super Saver series ($5!). I have both evenings free and think I wanna see this again....something I have not done in YEARS.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
I finally saw Toy Story 3 and I have to agree - it rocked. Seeing a bunch of toys prepare for death - who else would have the cojones to put something like that in a kids movie and make it work so well? Between that and Buzz in 'Spanish' mode, it really ran the full gamut of emotions.

I think it ended on a perfect note and I hope they have the courage NOT to make any more of these. I could see some shorts maybe, but no more movies. Go out on a high note.

I do get concerned when all I see coming down the pipe from Pixar are more sequels. Do we really need a Cars sequel? And I ask that having fully enjoyed the first film.

I'd much prefer to see them continuing to break new ground and push the envelope. I have to say the short that came with TS3 is a huge step in the right direction.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
After Toy Story 3, I have faith in everything that Pixar makes. Cars was the worst of all the Pixar movies for me (however, that's still decent, compared to the output of certain other studios), so it can only be better than that, I think.

I too really do love the short. It seemed to be the only time that the 3D was actually implemented, and I'm curious to see how it's going to work in 2D.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

After Toy Story 3, I have faith in everything that Pixar makes. Cars was the worst of all the Pixar movies for me (however, that's still decent, compared to the output of certain other studios), so it can only be better than that, I think.

I too really do love the short. It seemed to be the only time that the 3D was actually implemented, and I'm curious to see how it's going to work in 2D.

We are in accord here. I found Cars to be their least successful effort. And it's still the envy of other studios. The opening short, I didn't care for. Just meh.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's interesting, to me, to finally start seeing comments about the opening short.

Without a doubt I would rate it dead last among all the Pixar short films. I sat there stupefied by what I was seeing. I wasn't engaged at all.

The animation seemed "flat." And the plot did nothing for me.

It's fine with me that it spoke to others. I plan on seeing TS3 again in 2D. I'm wondering if a second viewing of the short will give me a different perspective.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I didn't like the short much (seen it twice now). It was mediocre until the radio address...then it became blunt and sermonizing. I'm glad some folks enjoyed it, though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The short felt very, very old-school to me. In a good way, though.

And stop dissing Cars, damnit! (Interesting note: Lego just came out with a big line of Cars Duplo sets. Previously, Mega Bloks had that license.)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
It had a sort of Looney Tunes vibe didn't it? I thought it was fine, def. in your face at the end. Anyone know if that speech (or whatever) was real? Mostly I liked the tech. of it, mixing 2d & 3d, and thought it was really creative.

Speaking of shorts, did Bud Luckey (Jackalope from Boundin') as the clown take anyone else out of the film at that point. His voice is so unique.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BrettB

Anyone know if that speech (or whatever) was real?

I watched the credits (as they flew by) at the end and didn't see any reference to the speech. I plan to double-check when I'm back at the theater.

Talk about hitting you over the head. It's almost as if they thought they weren't really making the point in the first 95% of the effort. "We better make sure they get it."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

The short felt very, very old-school to me. In a good way, though.

And stop dissing Cars, damnit! (Interesting note: Lego just came out with a big line of Cars Duplo sets. Previously, Mega Bloks had that license.)

I enjoyed Cars more then most. Then again, I lived near Route66, in fact, in a town near where they went judging from DVD Extras. And while Frotenac, Kansas isn't quite the town as portrayed in the movie.. it's close. The moment of major highways absolutely gutted those small towns. I found the film better then others, but a weaker Pixar effort.. surprisingly, it's the one my two boys watch most frequently though, along with The Incredibles.. so as a children's movie it works well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also like "Cars" and would definitely rate it in the top half of the Pixar output.

Chalk me up as another who thought the Night & Day short was weak before TS3. There was no reaction from anyone in the theater, just stone silence thru the whole thing. Pixar shorts are usually amusing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Count me as another "Cars" fan, though I liked it less with additional viewings. I LOVED it theatrically but was less wild when I saw it on DVD.

I still think it's a lot of fun. Probably too long - 118 minutes (I think) is a lot for that story - but it's just a cute, charming little flick...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Count me as another "Cars" fan, though I liked it less with additional viewings. I LOVED it theatrically but was less wild when I saw it on DVD.

I had the opposite reaction. I liked Cars well enough when I saw it in the theater but when I watched it again on DVD, I found it to be a much better movie than I had first thought.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My wife and I thought the short was fantastic. Certainly not the best, but nowhere near worst. I found it to be quite engaging and fun.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I liked the short too and one of the few things I have seen where the 3D really helped it too. But it did kind of beat you over the head with its message which it didnt need to do. Take out the voiceover from the radio and its much better IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks