What's new

*** Official THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You don't really see them socialize with people of the same sex either.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I've read were some people are saying that only fans of the show will like this. I was a fan of the show since the first ep and I thought it was awful. I can deal with the fact that this was a stand alone film that focused on the relationship between the Mulder and Scully.

My problem was that the story that they based it around just was not big enough to carry a movie. I don't know if it was the writing or their hearts just were not into it but both seemed to be mailing in their performances for the most part. Skinner's cameo seemed just like that. He really added nothing to the story. It felt like, "Well just throw Skinner in their to make them happy."

To me it seemed like this could have been cut down to a one hour ep. It would have made a not great but decent regular season ep of the X-files and might of even played better.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I agree that they still could've retained the Mulder and Scully Focus, but built it around a stronger storyline. The Crime that the FBI was researching, did not seem to warrant them bringing back Mulder and Scully, or for that matter, calling off their search for mulder and in effect "Pardoning" him.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also felt that this was an "episode". It did in one sense give closure to the series. I was shocked when I saw that Mulder & Scully were living together and not just keeping in touch. I also was hoping for something more of a monster or supernatural story. I kept asking my buddy where the hell is Skinner?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I'm kinda confused about the whole "living together" thing.

Because at the beginning it seems pretty clear that Mulder/Scully haven't seen each other for a number of years.

Then yes, there's that scene where they are shown in bed together later, but I dunno if that really constitutes "living together", lol.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I thought it was quite obvious that they had been living together the entire time since the end of the series. That's why Scully says they're people that come home after work now, as opposed to when they were in the FBI.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought they've been a couple since the series ended but they don't live together (Scully seemed surprised by Mulder's office) and they occasionally sneak away to meet each other since Mulder is in hiding.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, the office exchange plays like a scene where they haven't seen each other in a while for some reason, but I don't think that's the case. I think they had to find a way to bring non-fans up to speed as far as the end of the series is concerned, which makes it feel like this is their first meeting in a while.

The best evidence that they're living together comes when Scully threatens not to come home if Mulder doesn't back off his pursuit of the case.

Pete-D

Screenwriter

I know she said that, but the way its shown (show don't tell ... the first rule of filmmaking) makes it seem off.

It seems like there's a scene missing there, like

1.) Scully goes to contact Mulder after not having seen him for a while.

2.) They get back together, sleep together, decide to live together ... the latter wasn't explicitly stated on screen though.

I think the idea was they had been apart for a while, got back together at the beginning of the film, agreed from there on to live together, but the events of the mysterious case kept them from each other and that's why Scully threatened to not come back (because she doesn't want any part of that lifestyle anymore).

So they basically ommitted or cut out a scene there where Mulder/Scully agree to live together.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it feels like there's a scene missing to explain the M&S relationship. One minute it looks like Scully hasn't seen Mulder in years, and the next they're bed-buddies? I felt like I'd napped briefly and missed something.

Then again, I MAY have napped briefly - this was a messy, barely coherent, and damned dull film. The main story hardly existed and was shockingly pedestrian when the "twist" was revealed. I kept thinking "is this movie ever going anywhere?" but the answer was "no".

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan. I've barely seen any X-Files - I've watched the first movie, the recent "Revelations" DVD and a few other episodes over the years. I don't think my disenchantment over the flick stems from my lack of intimacy with the series, though. I think it would've seemed just as dull and pointless even if I adored the show...

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Well the other thing about the "bed scene" is Scully is put off by Mulder's beard, which also indicates that they were apart for some time.

The more I think about it, at least with what's shown in the movie is that there's no way Mulder/Scully had been just living together all those years. Very clearly they're seeing each other again for the first time in years at the beginning of the film.

They then agree at some point during this movie to live together or at least to be in a romantic relationship with each other, but I guess maybe the writer's thought they'd just throw the two in bed to explain that.

Maybe it was just me but was anyone else kinda thinking while watching the movie that this whole thing would be a hell of a lot more interesting if Duchovney busted into his Californication character and slept with both Scully and Amanda Peet's character? lol.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just thought that Scully was lying when she said she didn't know where he was. She would have been living with a fugitive, after all.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain the whole thing with the guy in getting the transplants. Ok...I understand he has the facial scar from the gardening tool. But, I didn't see her cut his arm off. Also, was there a reason they were putting his head on another person? And why were they putting his head on a woman?? I feel like I missed a scene or two.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but then why would she seem so put off by his beard when they're in the sack? She comments on it and he immediately shaves it - if they'd been cohabitating all that time, why would he only NOW care? :confused:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I felt that way through the whole movie! The whole transplant plot gets little explanation and makes little sense - like pretty much everything else in the flick. Face it: this film is a MESS! :frowning:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The guy was dying of cancer, so the other guy is keeping him alive by transplanting his head onto the body of the victims in order to keep him alive a few weeks at a time. The agent didn't cut his arm off; it was surgically removed, perhaps due to injuries sustained during the fight? I'll admit I can't remember the explanation behind the severed arm (it could have been the arm of a male victim used for the transplants, maybe?).

And Scully never lied; she simply said she didn't work with Mulder anymore, which was true. I still firmly believe they've been living together that whole time because it sure doesn't play out like they haven't seen each other in a really long time. Mulder casually says "what's up, Doc?" and doesn't seem surprised that Scully is there; in fact, I thought that was the whole point--he's become trusting because Scully comes home there everyday. As for the scratchy beard, who says that's the first time Scully's complained about it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw the novelization at Borders today and according to that, you're correct. There's dialogue that was deleted from that scene (but presumably in the script) where they say that they've been living there for about five years.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Loved this movie, my favourite film I've seen in a theatre this year in fact (not seen Dark Knight yet though ;) ).

Great interview with David Duchovny on Radio1 here:

Radio 1 Movies

Beware, there's a few spoilers in there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And he just happens to decide to shave it in the middle of the night?

There may be good explanations for a lot of the actions in the movie, but the film itself does a poor job of relating them. We shouldn't need novelizations and other explanatory elements to make sense of the thing... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks