What's new

*** Official THE WRESTLER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I thought I'd start a separate thread for spoilers, and also I'm sure there will be lots of discussion when this movie gets a wider release and it seen by more people.

I saw the movie a second time, and I love it even more.

I gotta say that Rourke delivers a tremendous performance. It feels so real and natural, and despite his flaws, he makes you really care for him and want to see him succeed with his daughter and with Pam. There is that final shot of him on the top ropes getting ready to execute his finishing move, and it's amazing how many emotions are running through him based on his facial expression.

I think the script is a lot better than it may appear to many people. It's great how they use the "fakeness" of pro wrestling and contrast that with the "reality" of the outside world, and in Randy's life the two worlds are the opposite of what they should be. And I really liked the parallels of the stripper and the wrestler.

Evan Rachel Wood continues to be the best actress of her generation. I heard how some have complained she didn't have much significance in the movie, but I thought her character was very important as it's the only thing from Randy's real life from his past. We are only shown as much as Randy knows her about.

The ending couldn't be more perfect. Did he die or not seems to be the question. But he just knew that the outside world only brought him hurt, and he decides to continue what he loves doing and where he is treated well by the fans and where he has friends and a family in a way with the wrestlers, even if it means he will die doing so. And you see that great shot of his face, showing emotional and physical pain and at the same time a sense of happiness, and he takes the final leap into the air as if he's going to heaven, and then ... In wrestling, the finishing move is performed and the match is over, so it couldn't have been better to end the movie with that.

~T

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Wrestler". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Wrestler" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It picked up a nomination for best original screenplay from the Writers Guild which I'm happy about since the screenplay seems to have largely been ignored thus far.

~T

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I saw this the other night and liked it a lot. Rourke is fantastic in this movie and will get a nod for sure.
Loved seeing Todd Barry in it too, awesome!

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Very, very good film. As a long time pro-wrestling fan, I thought the matches, what you see of them were excellent. That hardcore dude Ram fights, damn man, that was some extreme stuff! Very good performances by Mickey Rourke, and the continually lovely Marisa Tomei. Scrumptious! :D

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I saw it and loved it and everyone I talk to seems to love it as well. It's getting really good word-of-mouth, like "Juno" good.
However, I'm disappointed it's not getting a wider release - at least none has been scheduled yet. As of Jan 23 there are still only a bunch of major cities listed.
Since it's earning a great per-screen average so far, does anybody think there could be a chance that it could go even wider after the Oscar nominations on Jan 22?
Do the studios ever plan for that? Like say if it gets a lot of nominations could they go nationwide on Jan 30? Is there precedence for that?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
It should be playing in the arthouse theaters near the major cities listed.

Congrats to Rourke for getting the best actor award at the Golden Globes, and judging by the response of the crowd there, his peers seem to really be rooting for him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the favorite to win the Oscar and not Penn.

The movie has been named the best drama of the year at Rotten Tomatoes, based upon how many positive reviews it has received. I think only Wall-E and Man on a Wire were ranked higher.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw this google video posted elsewhere (a good 30 minute interview with Mickey Rourke on his work on "The Wrestler" and his own personal setbacks):

Richard M S

Screenwriter
It is funny that the second line at the top of this thread mentioned seeing it twice; I have to see it again.

I saw this film today and I was mesmerized by it; if anything, I feel it is actually under-rated. Mickey Rourke's performance was brilliant, and whomever is awarded the Best Actor Oscar this year will not matter to me, (but I hope it is Mickey) because his was a performance I will long remember after other performances fade from memory.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I noticed the Dodge Ram, too. It was a little funny at first sight, but then kinda sad when you think about it.

~T

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Saw this film last night...awesome movie. Dirty, gritty and real. Mickey Rourke is amazing...he totally is Randy the Ram.

I was moved.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
In some surprising news, it looks like Mickey Rourke might be heading to Wrestlemania, with possibly wrestling in a match. Vince McMahon hated the movie, but now seems to be cashing in on the movie's popularity with the awards. Also, hasn't Rourke learned his lesson in not accepting jobs just for the money? Unless he starts appearing on WWE TV soon to help build his appearance in the end of March or beginning of April for the event, I don't see how this will help the movie much.

~T

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mickey's gonna have to bulk up again because he doesn't have the 30+ pounds of muscle he put on for the role. Plus his legs aren't all that great either, I think he's got bad knees.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
There's only 2 more months to bulk up. I also heard that Ernest Miller was saying Rourke couldn't run the ropes all that well. So if anything, he could be involved in Wrestlemania in a non-wrestling role as a referee, enforcer, or manager. There will probably be more developments on tonight's WWE Raw.

~T

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Can anyone say if this was written based on any one wrestler, or just an amalgamation of the typical wrester? Because to me, it seems to reflect Jake "The Snake" Roberts life to an eerie degree.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Not that I really care what McMahon thinks, but why he "hated the movie"? It wasn´t "glamorous enough" for him?
Edit: I found this...
http://justpressplay.net/movies/movi...wrestlerq.html

Let me just repeat what my girlfriend said after the movie (when I told her that originally Nic Cage was planned for the role): "Thank god it didn´t happen". ;)

(I don´t hate Nic Cage, though..)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

Get the f**k out of here, Nic cage was considered for this?
Wow, I love Cage but I am so glad he didn't do this movie.

EDIT:
Nice article, McMahon is an idiot. Seems like he's a bit defensive about his business, rather than watching it for what it is.
I don't think it's a surprise that this movie does not follow the "WWE star", but rather the big 80's wrestler who didn't catch the wave when slammed into the big time. It's a guy who missed the boat and is trying to recapture that glory. McMahon of all people should have seen that in the movie. What a jack ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks