What's new

*** Official THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If one were to compare "New Moon" to "Twilight", I'd have to say "Twilight" is an emotional masterpiece if only for the interpersonal directorial touched imbued upon by Catherine Hardwicke. On the other hand, with Chris Weitz helming "New Moon", Weitz lacks subtlety in most of the scenes where characters actually talk to one another, and is hampered badly by the lack of acting chops by Taylor Lautner (Jacob) because any conversation Jacob has with Bella (Kristin Stewart) is agonizingly amatuerish and unconvincing, while practically any scene between Bella and Edward is haltingly stagnant in the way an unmovable mountain meets an irresistible force, it makes for uncompelling cinema.

If you've seen any of the marketing of the film, or seen the trailer, then what I'm about to reveal isn't all that new to you, so I'll go on that premise, so be forewarned if you've totally in the dark about the film. In a nutshell, Edward decides to leave Bella in order to protect her from his clan, although it's the last thing Bella wants. Bella gets depressed for months on end. Eventually she has an evening out with sarcastic Jessica, finds that the only thing that is helping her get out of her funk is adrenaline-inducing activities. From there, she seeks out Jacob for a project they can work on, and their relationship develops slowly until Jacob breaks off contact, and later on, it's revealed that Jacob is a werewolf, being one of the few in his family to bear the werewolf gene, along with others of his heritage.

Having 2 suitors turn their backs on Bella is almost too much for her to take, but Bella does find out about Jacob's secret, and then there's the rest of the movie that is long on drawn out chase scenes through the woods with Victoria in the mix, Bella's insecurities, Alice's visions, Edward's hole in his romantic heart through the forced separation he imposed. The last part of the film is just badly written and staged with a groan-inducing last line uttered by Edward.

With a running time of 130 minutes, director Weitz has turned it into a film that feels like it's 240 minutes long, I thought it was the equivalent of sitting down and watching molasses try to roll itself uphill. I think if you sped up the movie just a tad, run it at 1.5x speed, it might have helped the pacing, but the camerawork was odd, the progression of scenes edited was abrupt and full of bad choices, the cinematography was too clean compared to the grittier, grainier, colder tone in "Twilight".

I give it 1 star, or a grade of D.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm not familiar with either of these directors, (Twilight/New Moon) and I have not read the books. Having watched "Twilight" recently, I took time to watch "New Moon" this morning (less crowded, cheaper tickets).

Patrick pretty much nails this. The direction of this film is such a significant drop in quality from Twilight that while this may be a monster hit based on the books, you have to feel as though the book received a much lesser effort in production. Taylor is bad (think High School Musical type acting bad), but his efforts are made worse because the scenes in which he is in are cut and arranged in such a way that not only is he the focal point, but the angles tend to make him look oddly staged. I've almost never said this about a film, it's only relevant to stage productions, but his blocking is bad, really bad. When talking to others, there are moments where the actors are angled in a way that would NEVER occur in real life, like their eyes are focused out into space and they are just reciting lines... incredibly distracting.

The content of the story was pretty well executed and the storytelling itself isn't bad, the effects are good, and this advances the plot.

But the direction and staging of the film are so poor it's hard to really overlook. You almost feel as though whoever directed Twilight simply "got" the content, meanwhile, this is a "paint by the numbers" effort.

The film will do boffo business because of the books and audience, butit's kind of sad, this film could have been MUCH better in different hands.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Twilight Saga: New Moon". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

newmoonreviews

Auditioning
Real Name
twilight
http://www.twilightnewmoonreviews.com/ Welcome to twilightnewmoonreviews.com! A Twilight New Saga: New Moon Movie Reviews Site! This site is a compilation of reviews for the Twilight : New Moon movie from our guests and other New Moon reviews around the internet to provide you with insight and information on this highly anticipated movie! Whether the opening night is midnight or not, dedicated fans like us will continue to take time off our busy schedules to catch the newest and hottest movie ‘Twilight The Saga: New Moon’. We had fun building the site and hopefully, these reviews will be fun to read as well! Enjoy your stay! We'll keep updating!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks