What's new

*** Official THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I doubt i'll see this 'til it comes out on video. But I just loved Ebert's review. Zero stars by the way.

"There were times when I intensely wanted to walk out of the theater and into the fresh air and look at the sky and buy an apple and sigh for our civilization..."

-R.Ebert

That is probably the worst comment I have ever read about a movie.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This horror buff hated it so much he is snatching up the DVD as soon as it streets. I cannot believe the ill will from some horror fans towards this movie.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I cannot believe the ill will from some horror fans towards this movie.
Neither can I. I can understand completely if people didn't like it, but man, what's with the hyperbole. There have been many worse horror films in this year alone. Is everyone forgetting House of 1000 Corpses?

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
No i remember House of 1000 Corpses and how horrible it was and what a rip off of the orignial TCM it was. I started to get mad at this new version of TCM when Mr. Face took his mask off. I never wanted to see that and I don't think many other fans wanted to see that either. Let's just let movies that were already made alone.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
No i remember House of 1000 Corpses and how horrible it was and what a rip off of the orignial TCM it was. I started to get mad at this new version of TCM when Mr. Face took his mask off. I never wanted to see that and I don't think many other fans wanted to see that either. Let's just let movies that were already made alone.
Why on Earth did you go see it then? It was obviously a remake, so if you think they should "let movies that were already made alone" then what's the point of seeing it?
I can't believe the hyperbole either. Anyone is perfectly valid in disliking this movie, but I find it hard to imagine that people think this thing is so bad when there are movies like "Wrong Turn", "They", "Dog Soldiers" and "Ghost Ship" being released. If you want a slick over-Hollywood-ized movie with TV teen hearthrobs of the week, watch "They" or "Darkness Falls". Now those are bad movies.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry but Dog Soldiers is far from being a bad movie. But this is not a Dog Soldiers thread so I'm not going to talk about it. Granted i knew this was a remake (but if you think of it could have been called TCM 5 because it really wasn't a remake.) but I along with friends of mine were very interested to see how this movie played out. With all the mixed reviews we figured we throw up our $6 and check it out.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Wow, I loved it. Good gore, scare, and fun!

One of my friends was being such a wang : hiding behind his coat, shielding his eyes, and flinching at everything...

I am intrigued by the real case and I would like to know a lot more in depth details about it.

Question : I see this as an inspired [by a true story] film moreso than it is strictly a true story because why/how did Jessica Beil escape when we all know there were no survivors?

Also, at one point I found myself swapping from "This is a remake" and "This is some sort of a sequel" mentality because of the references to the original (like a skinned face from one of the original people) or when it just seemed like a remake.

Question : Was there any authentic footage anywhere in this film? (The picture of Leatherface at the end, the only known picture?)

Question : The narrator, that the Law and Order narrator?

-Bert

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The narrator was John Laroquette, who also did the narration in the original. I don't believe he does the L&O narration.

The story is not true (at least as it's told in the movie). Look up "Ed Gein" for the real-life inspiration, so there is no authentic footage in the movie.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
If you want a slick over-Hollywood-ized movie with TV teen hearthrobs of the week, watch "They" or "Darkness Falls".
Michael Bay producing with the star of 7th Heaven in the lead? TCM '03 matches that description perfectly.

It just felt completely useless. I don't necessarily mind remakes, but if you're going to bank on the name of a classic at least make your picture different enough to warrant a viewing. What could I possibly get from this that I didn't get from the original? I could understand if the setting was moved to the middle-ages, an urban area, or if the story took a wild turn from the original...then it'd have enough of a twist to stand on it's own, much like Cronenberg's The Fly or Carpenter's The Thing. I left the theater thinking about how much of a wasted opportunity it was.

The worst part about this whole thing is how successful it is. It's nice that R horror is taking in some big bucks again, but if the movies that are pumped out because of this resurgence are of the caliber of TCM '03...ugh.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I want my $$$ back! And how many more movies must R. Lee Armey call someone a maggot?

I have a question about the ending.

When Jessica Biel takes off in the sheriffs car with the baby, she gets about a mile or so down the road, Leatherface is in the road and hits the car with his chainsaw (which by the way, I'm glad to see that he was able to start after losing his hand). Why did he do this? Why would he try to harm the sheriff (his family)? There is no way he can see who's driving the car because it's dark, rainy, and he has the headlights in his eyes. He would have to assume it was the sheriff. Plus, he couldn't have seen her run over the sheriff because he's too far away. Also, she takes off in a direction that would have put her further from the meatpacking place (where Leatherface was left bleeding on the floor). Yet he was able to regroup after losing his hand (forget that he has to be bleeding profusely), and manage to get ahead of Biel's character all without the aid of an automobile.

Oh well, I didn't care for it much. It crapped on the original IMHO.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I for one really dug this movie...... House of 1000 corpes sorry, that was terrible.

To me this movie was good at what it need to do, scare you, make you cover your eyes etc. Judging by the reaction of crowd it was doing just that. Oh well to each there own...........

Wrong Turn -Terrible
They - Haven't Seen
Ghost Ship - Come on now
Dog Soldiers -Great film......especially for a "b" film :D

I will be picking up TCM on DVD, would love to see the gag reels, if they are any.

R~

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
You know, I had the original Texas Chainsaw DVD and thought it was a good effort in making a horror flick with its suspenseful turns. I never thought about the "real" events that this was loosely based on until I bought the remake.

After watching the documentary extra on the new 2003 version about Ed Gein set in the 1950s, involved only older women, took place in Wisconsin, worked alone, and didn't even use a chainsaw, this remake of the 1974 version was a total disappointment. It was like watching a movie totally unrelated to the real events! At the same time, the 2003 2-disc movie DVD is way overpriced. Where does this set warrant the high price over other featured packed DVDs with even more features?

Given the opportunity to show the true story, it rather rehash the old 1974 version and didn't have much gore only more blood. The true events would have made a great movie by itself. A total bummer in my book. Though both movies are basically the same, I prefer the original DVD as long as I look at it not being a true story.

Eric

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Eric:

The 1974 movie DERANGED (available on MGM dvd on a double-bill with MOTEL HELL) is the closest film made that was based on the Gein murders. In fact, really only the names were changed (Ed Gein becomes Ezra Cobb), but beyond that, it follows the true events pretty darn closely. It was also the first film Tom Savini ever did special make-up effects for.

Vincent

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Ahhh...
The difference between "Inspired by" and "Based on"
TCM (both of them) clearly on Inspired by side of the coin. Psycho and ANOES were also inspired by these events, IIRC....

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
ChrisBea,
I dont know about Elm St being inspired by Gein but Silence of Lambs and Psycho was.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Also, Steve Railsback starred in the 2000 film ED GEIN aka IN THE LIGHT OF THE MOON. I haven't seen it and can't vouch for it, but I understand it is somewhat authentic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks