What's new

The Matrix Revolutions (2003) (1 Viewer)

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!! I can't say I'm very surprised by all the negative reviews. This movie promises a lot and it sounds like it doesn't deliver at all. I'll still check it out just because I never let critics decide what movies I watch. But I have a feeling I'm going to agree with them. I thought the second one was ok just because it really can't be judged completely without seeing the conclusion. The sad thing is that if it's really bad, this will still make a ton of money and will just prove that sequels can be made with no regards to quality. I'm going in with low expectations so hopefully I'll enjoy it alot more than all these critics.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I know I will enjoy it. I usually enjoy all movies I go to in the theater. I pay to have a good time, and I will hold onto all the promising points of the movie, even if the bad totally outweigh the good.

Out of about 20 or so theater films this year, I only hated 1 (Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

While I didn't think Reloaded wasn't that good of a movie, it did have its moments of coolness and even if Revolutions is just a CGI slapfest, I know I can enjoy those scenes. Its just kinda bad with the question of "What could've been"

Raymond

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
"quality" in corporate Hollywood translates into production quality. Whatever someone might find lacking in the Matrix sequels, they do not lack production quality.
story quality is not something that is as easily quantifiable.
its more subjective. some will like a hit some will hate it based on the story and how it plays out. same goes for a miss.

I think hardcore fan will probably go ga-ga over this film, maybe not in the same way they loved reloaded, but they're each just 1/2 a film, remember?
Fans will bring a little something extra to the film with them that helps spackle over (what 'critics' perceive) are the actual films deficencies.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Thank you so much for the metacritic recommendation and link, Chris! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Rottentomatoes.com is great as a repository of large numbers of reviews, but the tomatometer can be apallingly misleading at times.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Just got back from the screening..

As much as I want to say I am absolutely impressed and feel that the concluding installment delivered because of the way the earlier films have grown on me and the entity it has become in my perspective, I just can't. It even bugs me to type negatively about this, because it isn't what I wanted in a justification sense. I enjoyed the movie very much, perhaps I am just uneasy because the movie is over, or maybe there could've been no legit ending for such complex material...

Aside, that new Oracle pissed me off. I hated her lisp and her lack of explanations for looking different due to "choices."

I hope to discuss Revolutions a lot more!

Edit : Can someone give me an interpretive rund-down of the sequence with the Oracle and the Architect regarding the lack of hope for this peace time survival and the Oracle saying they might see [that particular?] Neo.

RyanJM

Grip
I'm going to see it tomorrow, and going in with low expectations after reading many reviews.

I just realized how much better the first Matrix is than Reloaded after watching it on TBS tonight, and comparing it with my recent viewing of Reloaded yesterday...

One of the things you notice immediately is the feeling of suspense that you get in the original that is really lacking in the sequel.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
One of the things you notice immediately is the feeling of suspense that you get in the original that is really lacking in the sequel.
You hit it on the head, Ryan.

To be honest, the revelations in Reloaded were quite nearly as profound as the revelations in Matrix. The delivery of same, however, were drastically different.

I mean c'mon, that whole "Surprise! The Oracle is just part of the control structure of the matrix. By the way, so are you." should have had a lot more impact on us than it did. Unfortunately, Neo didn't have a comparable voyage of discovery to those two points because the Wachowskis were too busy impressing themselves with the Zion dance number and the burly brawl.

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
There is suspense in the original because you dont know if Neo is the one or not? Obviously in the sequels you know he is the One.

But how about the ending of reloaded? Finding out that Neo is the 6th one and that zion is about to be destroyed and the prophecy is a lie. You are left in despair as to how to save Zion now that everything you thought that was true is false. Now that's suspense.[

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Matrix Revolutions" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Matrix Revolutions" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I just can't believe it's finally over. ;)

As you all trickle back in from seeing it, let me know what one thing you liked most about Revolutions and the one thing you disliked most.

I'm seeing it on an IMAX screen this weekend, which will be my first time seeing a theatrical release-type movie on the big BIG screen. Should be fun!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just a reminder, spoilers are not necessary in the Official Discussion Thread since this film has opened and anyone reading this thread who hasn't seen the film, does so at their own risk, when it comes to their eventual viewing experience.

Crawdaddy

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
There is an utter truckload of reasons why the original was exponentially better than the sequel. As the backtracking has already begun, I can see that Revolutions will put the final nail in Reloaded's coffin. All that philosophical love-festing heaped on Reloaded as the reason for why "unintelligent people" hated it so much, will get trampled on as the W Bros throw it out the window in Revolutions.

Forget that smart stuff fellas - I know Kung Fu.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I don't understand why a lot of people thought that Revolutions would be of different quality than Reloaded, they were filmed at the same time, right? Of course, I haven't seen it yet, I'll wait until the weekend, so maybe I'll like the final installment. My expectations are definitely lower this time around.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
I'm going Kin-yobi, but I can't wait. Everyone has bashed the movie in the reviews, but they all expected the Holy Grail of movies. I loved Reloaded because of the action, I'm sure I'll love Revolutions just the same.

eric

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Dudes, This movie flat out ROCKS!
ignore the naysayers and the bashers-they smell blood in the air and like a pack of cowardly Jackels they're ready to pile on- but just like the last time, they will be exposed as the clueless philistines they are.
the joys of this film are plenty and rich
the spfx here are un-freaking-believable- beautiful, stupefying...like the coolest videogame you ever watched someone else play, there are images here that will loop in your head until your back in diapers

-remember the Kiss? the payoff to that is worth the price of admission alone
-remember the talk about the rouge programs? the ghosts were just the tip of the iceberg, folks-fasten your seatbelts.
-remember the spoon?

yeah you just bought the dvd a couple weeks ago and you've already watched it 2 or 3 times, but you know what- as soon as this movie is over how many of you are going to run home and pour over it again as the green hue from the display illuminates your face and you suddenly realize..."of course! why didn't i see that before" over and over...
as with the clarity of daylight, Reloaded becomes a whole new film...
AMAZING!

this will go down as the greatest sci-fi end-piece since Return Of The Jedi- absolutely no doubt about it.
in fact, i think the two films will be uttered in the same breath by many many fans...IT'S THAT GOOD!

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
this will go down as the greatest sci-fi end-piece since Return Of The Jedi...IT'S THAT GOOD!
Isn't another good Sci-Fi End-piece? I can't think of any. ROTJ is the best?

Bryant Trew: It's REHASHED. if it's your signature, make sure it's spelled correctly.

and the review at http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=5134 looks like it's 3 1/2 stars out of four, or Fantastic.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's killing me to not be at the theater right now. Especially since I skipped ahead to here, skipping the current discussion. I'll have to dump the internet message boards today at 11:30 AM (EST) just to avoid anything else. It's going to be a long day!

I had one last button to click on Fandango about 3 times this morning, keys in hand at work. But I don't want to see it alone (at least the first time). I also have work to do.

So here I'll sit, in my cube, until about 4:00 PM today, at which point I'll make a mad dash to the theater to await my turn.

I saw Reloaded, AOTC, FOTR and TTT as soon as humanly possible. Waiting on Revolutions is VERY tough.

This is my cool little bowout until I see the show. Then I'll come running in here to babble (although by then, many will be DONE ;) ).

I predict page 8 by my next post.

Still can't wait...and harder knowing it's there...waiting.

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks