What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
I had posted this back on Dec. 8 in the old ROTK discussion thread but I'll re-post it here:
--

The Return of the King is ridiculous. My buddy and I had a discussion on the hour long car ride home about how can we possibly explain how good this movie was to everyone? Ridiculous is the word we came up with. Frankly because it shattered everything I thought was possible from not only this movie but movies in general. Ridiculously good. Movies almost don't have a right to be so well done.

I gasped in awe, I cheered, I laughed, and I cried like a baby. The final act of ROTK is emotionally exhuasting and exhilerating at the same time. The pace was almost perfect, the editing was so so so much smoother than TTT's editing.

Before I go on, many of you probably consider me to be a "fanboy" who would love anything that he saw, and you're right about one thing....I am a fanboy but I still have a critical eye towards it, no matter how much I gush on here I have huge problems with TTT and to a lesser extent FOTR.

With that said, Return of the King lives up to every bit of hype it had. To put it simply (and its been said before), take the emotional and character power of FOTR and the action and adventure of TTT and mold them together, and you have ROTK. That is indeed ROTK in a nutshell, but it goes so much further. On the emotional side, ROTK is genuinely moving. Moreso than FOTR. 10 fold. I was never brought to the point of real tears with either FOTR or TTT, but ROTK gets so intimate with the characters that you can't help yourself. The action side is mind boggling. That's all I will say. Helm's Deep is a walk in the park now by comparison. The Nazgul are TERRIFYING. You'll understand once you see it.

This movie is filled with epic wide shots. Remember those precious few shots in FOTR such as Gandalf riding up to Minas Tirith with Mordor in the background? Or Saruman on top of Isengard calling down the storm on Caradhras? There is so many in this movie and all of them are on a scale that dwarf anything we've previously seen. There is a very long, but beautiful sequence of the beacons of Gondor being lit that was truly amazing to watch.
Speaking of visual orgasms, they really seemed to have perfected their colour grading skills this time around. The movie just flat out looked amazing. Every shot was gorgeous...the colors, the composition, the look of it all was just amazing. This is gonna be one good looking DVD.

As for all the multiple endings people are talking about, they are NOT poorly done. In fact they are totally necessary. I think its only flaw was that they faded to black way too much.

Return of the King surpassed my expectations in ways I never thought possible. The 200 minutes flew by faster than any previous LOTR film. The sheer COOLNESS of it aside, the most important thing is that it made me completely satisfied. The wait was well worth it. I was watching movie history.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wasn't in the mood for this film. I simply wasn't. Having a very hard week in REAL LIFE terms, the midnight showing was my only chance to see the film for some time, so I trundled off with some friends. Ready for the final chapter.

In short, it's a beautiful film, and the reviewers above me that I skimmed covered it's strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly, it FELT like the end of the long journey, it FELT like Tolkien's Middle-Earth. I had minor quibbles here and there (some of which will be fixed, and some which won't be), but the overall effect of the film and the trilogy is that of wonder.

The strength of the film is Frodo and Sam. I felt the duality of Gollum from TTT was completely lost...he seemed merely a villain in the film. I had hoped for a little more. His performance was excellent.

The battle was staggering, but I didn't feel right with the pacing. That was probably me being tired more than any perceived fault of the film. It was visually unbelievable, as was the entire film, frankly. The cinematography, the editing, the direction was marvelous. I thoroughly enjoyed TTT, but FOTR and ROTK are clearly the favored children in flourishes and glamour. They feel more like brother films with TTT a little like an homage to them.

The music was excellent, and I finally started listening to the soundtrack last night :) The acting was superb, as were all filmmaking craft/technical aspects of the movie.

The endings...were fitting for a 10 hour movie. I enjoyed each one as they came, and they felt earned. I missed some major character info, but either the EE will have it, or I'll simply reread the books. The core of the ending was kept, and it mattered most.

9.5/10

Achingly beautiful,
Chuck

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
This is the greatest film(ROTK) and trilogy ever made. This movie was so good, I'm not even mad at the Matrix Revolutions anymore...I just pretend that didn't happen.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest guys, the Movie sucked. I was really really let down.

I got the feeling throughout the whole film they were rushing it and trying to get a bunch of last minute stuff in. The main battle was simply too short after watching the featurete in the TT dvd where they claim it would be the biggest battle of movie history or some crap like that. I was like "uhhhh no".

Other things that annoyed me were the CGI. Probably the worst CGI I've seen in a while. At the end when the ring is destroyed and the orks or whoever are running away you can see them run really wierd and all in sync, it looks funny. Same with Legolas on that elephant jumping around like a circus act. Some parts were really bad CGI.

Lots of parts were too corny as well. "No man can destroy me".... takes off her mask "I'm no man".
Please!!

And whats with GANDOLF never using his powers. In FOTR he uses his walking stick to throw saroman around and stuff. Why doesnt he use that power in the rest of the films.

I dont even want to say HOW MUCH the ENDING SUCKED. The whole theater was just waiting and waiting for that crap to end. When they all come to visit frodo in bed. That had to be the gayest thing I've seen on FILM. It got to the point where everyone in the theater were getting pissed and yelling comments out like "goddamn when is this gonna finish" etc.

I give this movie :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed the film. Is it flawless? No. The reviews above do as good a job listing them so I won't bother repeating them. However, I thought the film was an almost perfect payoff to the series.

Frankly, I am les amazed by the CGI work than I am with the miniatures. Minas Tirith looked absolutely amazing.

One thing that cannot be overlooked is the quality of the acting. You can throw all the CGI and FX in the world into the picture but if the actors can't sell it or carry the story, then it is meaningless. Everyone gives excellent performances that truly make the film.

I'm sure the inevitable Extended Edition to come will fix some of the flaws (and also ignore some others) but it doesn't matter. If this was the end, then it was a glorious one.

:star::star::star::star:1/2 / :star::star::star::star::star:

Gruson

Second Unit
Loved it.

Not as much as FOTR but it was better than TTT.

My biggest complaint was Eowyn's line as she fought the Witch-King....give me a break.
That moment took me out of the Rings universe.

Other than that my only other complaint was the ending seemed to drag on and on. I would have cut it at the Shire.

5 out 5 stars.

The spider's lair
had a LOT of suspense.

David Echo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review Ruben amd welcome to AICN!

Lol, best review I've heard yet. Way to go Troy.

Hmmmm, as for myself I'm really torn between saying which I liked more - ROTK or FOTR. I think for myself ROTK was the best CINEMA EXPERIENCE of the 3 but that FOTR is a better movie. If that makes any kind of sense. I guess it's because FOTR can stand on it's own to a certain degree in that if you don't watch any further you still get a self contained (albeit incomplete) narrative but both TTT and ROTK only build on what has come before.

I did do Tilogy Tuesday and I must say that it really did hit home that LOTR really is one big 11 hour film released in 3 parts. So in a way Mirimax did get their way - PJ only really did make one movie in the end!

So to be offically part of the review thread - on my scale of excellent, good, fair, poor:

FOTR: Excellent
TTT: Good
ROTK: Excellent

LOTR Trilogy as a whole: Outstanding! Never to be equalled for a very long time.

Dave

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I don't like all this negativity about the ending. I think that it is perfect. I spent 11 hours with these characters and I'm glad that they didn't have a quick good bye and then roll credits. It was like saying goodbye to a long time friend and most people take there time doing that. I'm glad they took there time with the ending b/c frankly I wish it was still ending. I had to say goodbye to these characters too and I wish the film had never ended. The book takes over 100 pages to end and you are the ones that would complain if it had a quick ending b/c it would not be like the book. I guess this is where all of us that were lucky enough to go to Trilogy Tuesday can appreciate the ending more. We spent 11 hours with the characters so a 20 minute ending was still too short compared to the length of the rest of the journey. Bravo PJ!!!!! Bring on the EE!!!!!

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, the endings were perfect to me. Only a couple things kept the film as a whole from being perfect. 1, the editting, like they were trying to compress everything..I think the extended edition for me will be as perfect as a movie can be. 2 Gollum when he falls into the lava, falling into lava wouldn't look like that, you'd see intense pain and them..burning up dissolving whatever before they disappear below. It looked more like he just fell underwater. Although the scene itself, with him falling down there was awesome.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of 4

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the movie, absolutely loved it. I was not sure anything could match the Helm' Deep Battle, that was unbelievable, especially the Extended Editions Helm's Deep. I think Pellanor has met the mark. Great Film...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I will side with those who felt the first half was more of the "same old, same old" and I never found myself caring about what developed before we get into the second half of the film, which, I think, you could have just used that for a film all by itself.

The first half just seems to be marking time, getting us to the point where the film needed to be to wrap things up, but it's not too compelling to watch (for me, anyhow). I actually think more could have been cut out of the first half without hurting the resolution of the film in the second half.

I give the first half 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

The second half has a few stumbles towards the end, but overall, the second half features amazing film-making and acting performances out of all of the actors, and the special effects crew outdid themselves. Kudoes to Peter Jackson for having the tenacity to see this unwieldy project through to the very end.

I give the second half 3.75 stars, or a grade of A- (taking off a little for the ending).

Overall, I give it 3.25 stars, or a grade of B+.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Please folks, if you must bring up specific story points in your review, please spoilerize them. Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
Please, stop posting comments in this thread which are not reviews of this film. One member has already lost his posting privileges over this matter because we're not going to keep deleting posts all day long from this thread that are not a review. If you want to discuss this film, then please do so in the appropriate thread which is the Official Discussion Thread. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
My viewing experience was marred by two things: one, the group of (as my friend called them) 'college virgins' sitting in the balcony behind us, making comments throughout the movie. They just wouldn't shut up, and the second the movie ended they darted out of their seats and ran laughing out of the auditorium. That thoroughly tainted the movie for me.

Secondly, it was the midnight show. It was late, I was tired, and the coffee started to wear off about an hour into the film. :frowning:

Ok, so I liked it, but I felt a lot was missing, and the same directorial choices that made me cringe in the first two films (especially the first) were in full effect here.

I felt that the last half hour of the film was essentially 'hobbits crying in slow motion' continually. I wish that some of the tender reunion and goodbye sequences had been filmed in real-time, with real dialogue, instead of four hobbits having a pillow fight in slow motion. It really took me out of the moment, and most of the theater was laughing uncomfortably here.

The sequence with Pippin and the palantir was directed atrociously. That strange 'jerky' handheld, slow motion style just makes no sense at all. I wish it could have been directed with less slow motion and perhaps odd angles to convey the sense of disorientation.

Also, some of the battle scenes, although trying to convey the confusion of war, were a frantic menagerie of flailing arms and swords that, while appropriate, made me dizzy after a while. Maybe I should sit further back from the screen next time.

Much of what was missing in the theatrical version will definitely be in the EE, so I'm not going to take ROTK to task for not including these sequences. There was enough 'hinting' at some of these elements so that I did not feel they were excised completely. Aragorn's story definitely got the shaft, especially toward the end, but again, this will be fixed by the EE.

Okay, on to what worked.

Sean Astin deserves at least an Oscar Nomination. Jeez, he thoroughly nailed his performance here, especially the 'breadcrumb' sequence. In fact, the entire Sam/Frodo/Gollum thread was marvelous, in fact - closer to the book than I ever thought possible (down to the description of the trap door in the tower where a post-Shelob Frodo is held captive
. The ring climax was handled so, so well... wow.

The siege of Minas Tirith was also incredible. I was impressed by how the film made us feel for the citizens of the city - giving us a generous number of intimate extras shots without seeming overindulgent.

The 'mountain people' sequence was pure Jackson, down to the 'Brain Dead' Rat Monkey Rock Quarry (I felt like yelling out 'This monkey is going to Newtown!!') I like the ghosts, although they were totally deux ex machina at the end. I realize the writers did this in order to give Aragorn a more pivotal role in the turning of the tide.

It's an overwhelming movie, and draining, especially at the end. I didn't ever get a lump in my throat or really get emotional at all, mostly because slow motion - Jackson's primary device for conveying deep emotional moments - doesn't make me sad... it just makes me tired.

Overall, a great movie that will get even greater in a year's time. I predict the DVD will break sales records.

:star::star::star: 1/2 (out of 4)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I can't add much to Scott Weinberg's excellent review (which I agree with!), but since I just came home from viewing the film, wanted to add my two cents...

It's definitely the best of the three. It's also the one most in need of the EE DVD. If you know the books - heck, if you've been following the production at all - there are sequences that show the effect of some rushed or harsh editing. The sequence at Isengard, Sam and Frodo's journey in Mordor, and the final battle in the film all showed signs of some arbitrary/ruthless decisions in regards to editing.

Having said that....

Simply an amazing film. Acting, writing, and visual elements stronger than either of the previous films, and PJ really cranks up the emotional impact and investment.

Andy Serkis deserves to be nominated and win the best supporting actor award. The opening sequence, in which we get to see exactly how much of Gollum's facial expressions are based on Serkis, reveals that without Serkis, Gollum would be nothing but a neat-looking effect.

Like the other two films, I'll need to see this at least twice in the theater before being able really digest it - it's just too big.

I heartily recommend it, minor flaws and all.

WilliamP

Grip
Amazing movie. Best of the trilogy and of the year.

I had a few minor complaints but less than the ones I had with FOTR and TTT. It also has the best visual fx I've ever seen in a film.

:star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
In short, loved it & went to see it again today. Billy Boyd made a huge impression on me and demonstrated he's a major talent.

todd stone

Screenwriter
enjoyed the film overall, however one annoyance:

the beacons. completely ridiculous. so they get lit one at a time but who the heck would see the one beacon way up above the clouds? Just makes no sense and to drawn out

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Directed by Peter Jackson

Overall Score: A+

Well, it's over. Whenever ymdb.com gets up and running again, I know exactly what placing ROTK will have on my top 20.

Anywho, Peter Jackson, the writing team of Walsh and Boyens and Jackson, the cast and crew proved once again they could handle the monumental task of bringing J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy to the screen.

It's simply amazing that they not only got the job done, but did it magnificently. If any praise can be given to the direction and editing of ROTK, is in its efficiency. The movie was well over three hours, yet it all went by very quickly. Not only was the story made interesting to me, but the timeshare amongst storylines and elements was kept to its maximum potential. You didn't dwell too long on one place, but you were there long enough to appreciate the point.

I've seen lots, and I can rank this up there with the epic pieces of filmmaking like Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather Part, and The Godfather Part II.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
This is a review thread guy....
Post such comments in the other thread!!!

Steve Simon
HTF Administration

I'm having a hard time seeing how my comments did not warrant placement in this tread, for they closely mirror post made by other memebers in this tread. I spoke on what I liked in the film and disliked, the same as others did, but for some reason I've been singled out for placing my post in the wrong tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks