What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I normally do not endorse thread necromancy, but today is the five year anniversary of the release of Return of the King. Since we love our anniversaries, I thought this thread would enjoy a brief shining day on the front page again!

ROTK is not my favorite of the film trilogy, and it might not even be my second favorite
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

But it certainly is a momentous release for this decade, as I don't believe there is any doubt as to the importance of this trilogy on current moviemaking. Some winter movies have been successful since 2003, but none with anything approaching the anticipation level both TTT and ROTK commanded.

I was only semi-excited for the film on December 17th 2003 (I was moving that weekend, and my wife was 9 months pregnant at home that night). But I did see the film with friends, and it was a special moment. The theater had a full audience with as much goodwill and genial consideration as I've ever seen from a crowd. It was a special experience. Many of you nerds enjoyed (endured?) Trilogy Tuesday the day before, correct?

Share a thought or two, if you'd like.

Happy Anniversary, ROTK.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I remember my viewing of ROTK in the theatres quite fondly too as being a significant event. There was a lot of excitement in the theatre as people were looking forward to seeing how this great story would end. I remember the feeling that I was about to be part of something very special. I also remember knowing that we would be sittting there for a long time (3.5 hours) so it was important to get comfortable and get set for a full evening of entertainment.

I had the same feeling at the showing of Revenge of the Sith - the excitement to see how the two stories would be finally tied together and that this would be a significant movie in the movie world.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I saw the film at a midnight showing with friends from work. I had a terrible sinus infection so I loaded up on cold medicine and found a great seat. I don't think I have ever spent a better night at the movies, before or since. The crowd was totally into the experience but never once did I see or hear anyone goofing around or talking. Fans filled the cinema and we enjoyed the end of the trilogy. It was awesome -- an overused word to be sure, but it was. When it was over, I was numb. I didn't know if I liked it or not. I needed to think about it. When I got home, it was after 4 a.m. I slept for 2 hours, got up and went to work. (I did not want to miss my attendance bonus). I saw it again after work with my wife. I LOVED it this time. But it was bittersweet -- no more LOTR movies to look forward to.

Looking back on ROTK now, I have some reservations. I wasn't happy that the confrontation of Saruman at Orthanc was truncated and used at the beginning. I was unhappy with the omission of the Mouth of Sauron. But most of all, I was let down by the fact that Sauron himself did not appear at the Morannon and fight with Aragorn. Whether it followed the book or not, Sauron as the Eye atop Barad-dur was not a compelling villain. In the DVD SE, they showed how Aragorn was supposed to fight Sauron and replaced him with a troll. When Saruman tells Gandalf that Sauron couldn't take physical form in FOTR, they made a serious mistake, in my opinion. I realize that they were trying to make a statement about the proliferation of evil and how Sauron was driving others to destroy the world of men and all that. That doesn't make it right. But, I can accept it.

I still love the trilogy and I consider the SE DVDs THE version. For its faults, it still stirs something in me. The three films are among my most favorite. I think I'll give them a spin over the holiday break.

And I simply cannot wait until The Hobbit films come out.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor

I agree, I disliked the Eye concept (Star Wars power coupling, anyone?) and thought having Sauron appear in his Annatar form would have been a pivotal moment. It was set up back in FELLOWSHIP when Arwen tells Aragorn he is stronger than Isildur and will face the same enemy and defeat him (with the painting of Sauron fighting Isildur on the wall behind them!). I think PJ's handing of Sauron was one of the larger misfires of the trilogy, but they are still probably my favorite movies of all time because of how much they got right.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Trilogy Tuesday. What a glorious day that was. Being able to see the extended editions of FOTR and TTT on the big screen was the icing on the cake that was ROTK. I remember thinking how was ROTK going to surpass FOTR and TTT and being blown away by the results.

I knew about halfway through the Battle of Pelenoir Fields when the scope and size of the battle kept increasing that I was watching the best movie of the year and by the end, as I was wiping tears away from my eyes after the credits, that I had seen the best movie of the decade, which is still true today.

How the hell Sean Astin didn't get nominated and win for Supporting Actor is still beyond me. Frodo may be the main character, but Sam is the heart and soul of the series.

What PJ accomplished with the Rings trilogy is something that only a handful of directors could have pulled off.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Only at Regal and Cinemark chains, though. None of those anywhere near here.

These limited chain exclusives are ridiculous. If the studio wants to re-release a film, let any theater that wants to show it, show it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks