What's new

***Official THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Although I've seen it mentioned now and again in various threads, to not have a unique thread for a film like this is a crime. :)

Luckily, I have an excuse, as filming starts today in Rome. :D

A quick synopsis: The Life Aquatic is being described as an adventure comedy. It follows the wacky adventures of “an oceanographer and his crew on a series of wild deep-sea adventures, including the search for a shark.

The Cast: (Taken from WesAnderson.org)
Bill MURRAY as Steve Zissou
Owen WILSON as Ned Plimpton
Anjelica HUSTON as Eleanor Zissou
Jeff GOLDBLUM as Bill Ubell
Willem DAFOE as Klaus Daimler
Cate BLANCHETT as Jane Winslett-Richardson
Peter STORMARE as Unknown Character
Bud CORT as Unknown Character

Edited, Shot, and Scored by Wes Anderson regulars David Moritz, Robert Yeoman, Mark Mothersbaugh respectively.

Is anyone else as excited about this as I am? Wes Anderson has done no wrong in my book, and this looks to continue in his tradition of incredible films. Great cast, bizarrely unique plot, I don't think there's any doubt in my mind that this is my most anticipated movie in production at the moment.

It doesn't hurt that Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are two of my favorite movies of all time either. :)

Here's a link to the website with more news and info if you're so inclined:http://www.wesanderson.org/lifeaquatic/index.html

Lowell

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As always, I cannot wait to see the next Wes Anderson flick.

He's 3 for 3 so far, and this one looks to be like another grand slam.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Yep, put me down as well. The cast is great, the director hasn't let me down yet - likely another winner.

Did Wilson co-write on this one as well?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I can't believe you left Kumar off your cast listing!

I'm excited. Peter Stormare, Willem Dafoe and Bud Cort should fit in very well in a Wes Anderson film. Jeff Goldblum, I'm less sure about.

No.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
I can't believe you left Kumar off your cast listing!
I know, I figured I'd just list the main cast. Believe me, I was tempted to start quoting lines, but I figured I'd stay to the subject on hand. :)

Aww, what the hell: (most copied blatently from the IMDB.) :)

Kumar: Man, I blew it. I blew it, man.
Anthony: Kumar, what were you doing in the freezer?
Kumar: I don't know, man, I lose my touch, man.
Dignan: Did you ever have a touch to lose, man?

"So what'd you think Mr. Littlejeans?"
"Best play ever, man."

Royal: Ah, shit man.
Pagoda: Oh shit man.

Pagoda: He's got the cancer.

K, that's enough for now. :)

The main disappointment with the cast for me is no Seymour Cassel. :frowning:

Even though Owen Wilson isn't co-writing, from the two very positive script reviews up on the link I posted earlier, I don't think it'll be a problem. I'm going to go in fresh, so I haven't read them yet.

Lowell

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Glad that Bill Murray will get a bigger role than his supporting turn in "Tenenbaums." For that reason (and for the fact that Wes is 3 for 3), I'm really looking forward to this one.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
See Bottle Rocket - it's good. Not quite up to Rushmore or Tenenbaums in my opinion, but it is definitely better than most films out there.

I think Scorcese had it as one of the 10 best films of the 1990's.

Looking forward to The Life Aquatic - should be interesting. According to AICN, there will be some use of stop-motion in the film (Henry Selick is supposedly doing the work) - wonder where that will fit in?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
According to AICN, there will be some use of stop-motion in the film (Henry Selick is supposedly doing the work) - wonder where that will fit in?
sounds very interesting. anderson hasnt let me down yet, i'd be surprised to see him put out a stinker. about bottle rocket, it may not be as flashy as rushmore or as deep as tenenbaums, but it is every bit as good, without a doubt. i'm not exactly sure, but i think CJ Reynolds had it as one of the top 10 films of the 90s, so you know it has to be good.

CJ

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Saw the trailer today before a screening of We Don't Live Here Anymore. Looks strange and funny and like nothing I've ever seen before. Typical Anderson. :)

M.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Jason thanks for the trailer grab. I was unaware of this film till today. Thrilled there is something to look forward to in new releases. Soon? In my book Angelica Houston on board is a plus. And I have always found Jeff Goldblum (for reasons I cannot fathom) fascinating in the sense of staring of King Cobra down till it moves down the path. The man is sensual in a raw bizarre manner with constant emotive sex appeal I cannot pinpoint the basis for. Bill Murray I always have mixed emotions about, but often like (against my will) films he is involved in.

The Royal Tennebaums is a favorite on my ‘black humor’ list a genre I am consistently drawn too, regardless my family finds me strange for these tastes.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it just incredible how Anderson has climbed the ranks of status directors who can draw in top acting talent.

First he got James Caan, then he got Bill Murray, after that he was getting a serious name in the biz and was able to put together the RT cast (plus by then both Wilsons had become pretty famous also), now he has perhaps expanded even upon that RT cast.

He earned every inch of that respect too.

A lot of people will put Murray with Coppola when they reflect on his career but Murray really belongs with Anderson when you discuss his development in Oscar respected roles. If anything it was the fact that he was overlooked in Rushmore that laid the groundwork for him to get a nod in LiT.

Murray didn't need to be "saved" like QT did with Travolta, but he did give him a similar boost to a lesser degree.

I think Goldblum's style and typical choices fit perfectly with Anderson's style and humor up to this point. This could really be a role that shows his best side, so to speak.

My only dread, a little whisper in the back of my head, is that Anderson might push farther and farther out, emboldened with his success, until he gets a bit too far out and into flat out weird.

But at this point he's not even close to that, so my fear is probably completely silly.

BTW, trailer is killer. This looks like another Anderson homerun. I assume this is an Oscar season hopeful as well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Side note: another Scott Rudin production effort as well.

He's been with some misfires, but I've been impressed with the quality of films he tends to be associated with lately, as well as the type of directors.

Truman Show
South Park:BLU (well, just executive it appears)
Bringing Out the Dead
Wonder Boys
Changing Lanes
School of Rock
Iris
The Hours
The Village (despite critical reception it was an artistic attempt)
Manchurian Candidate
Royal Tennenbaums
Life Aquatic

He's had some comedy and action duds, but he seems to generally be around good productions. These films tend to reflect the style of the director more than showing a consistent Rudin style, but he seems to be good at helping bring their style to the screen at least, as well as putting quality people into the production in general.

edit: I see from IMDb that Premiere had him as the #18th most powerful guy in Hollywood for 2003.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I need a downloadable version of that trailer. From what I could see of it, it looks good.

"What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?"
"Revenge."

That's funny.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a great trailer. Had me smiling bemusedly, which is something Wes Anderson's movies do to me quite often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks