What's new

***Official The Incredibles DVD Glitch Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

My copy of "The Incredibles" did the same thing. It happened just as the end credit was about to play and it also happened at the beginning of the movie, just as the car chase was about to begin. The movie would pause for about 3 seconds and then play. I own a Mintek DVD player (I forget what model #). The weird thing is, when I put the same DVD in my Computer's DVD-ROM player, there's no pause at all. The movie plays flawlessly.

Oh, one other thing! Throughout the movie (on my Mintek player), a "Camera Icon" would appear on the upper right hand side of the screen. Supposedly this means that I can view the scene from another angle. But as far as I can tell, there are no other angles! Is this a glitch? It happens about 5 or 6 times throughout the movie and there's no way for me to turn the damn "angle" thing off. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I noticed while poking around on the computer looking at how the disc was structured the movie itself consists of four separate VOB files. My guess here is that some players take a moment or so to hop on to the next file due to firmware issues or smaller video memories.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

Yeah, that was the first thing I did when the "Camera Icon" first appeared onscreen. Unfortunately, while there is a camera button on my remote, it doesn't seem to work on "The Incredibles" so I guess I'm stuck with the glitch. It's not really surprising when I think about it. The Mintek player only cost me $30 so I guess I got what I paid for. lol. :D

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The entire movie played fine. The main menu froze again, though. Also, on Disc 2, the NSA files, Blazestone's soundbyte sounds rushed and horribly garbled. I can't imagine they would intend it to sound like that. Will probably take back for an exchange.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I just played this film on my DVD player and from start to finish it didn't glitch once. End credits were fine. Main menu was fine. Perhaps it was just a bad batch that got spread out over a certain area?

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I just bought the widescreen version yesterday. I played
the movie DVD through my Panasonic DVD-CP67 5 disc carousel
player with no problems. I'll have to check the extras DVD.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Widescreen purchase from Circuit City... $14.99

Panasonic CP72 5-disc changer... $149.99

The Incredibles played fine with NO ISSUES... Priceless!

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone noticed a difference between disc being played in STB vs. HTPC?

When I 1st watched it in my Pioneer Elite DV-C36 the bass was good, but not what I'd reading from many posts. Tried the disc in my 'puter and the LFE was about 4-6db louder. It's probably not the disc, but the player. Why would it be louder from the HTPC? Haven't noticed any of the problems noted above.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure that was an intentional joke. Notice how her voice slows down again at the end.

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Glad to see I'm not the only person who listened to all of those.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I get the camera angle symbol on my JVC-xvn510 also. The movie plays flawlessly, I purchased it at CC (widescreen version).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, I've got a JVC system, and while the MOVIE plays without problems, I can't view Jack-Jack Attack. When I load disk 2, it works, but I select the short, and I get a nice pixelatted mess.

Thinking I had a bum disk, I asked a neighbour to bring his copy over so we could watch it, and we got the exact same problem. Heck, the pixellation looked the same.

So, we loaded disk 2 into my wife's laptop, and the short played without a problem.

I've never had trouble playing a disk in our JVC system before... grrr...

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD player is also a JVC, the XV-N312. It runs both discs with no issues. Very odd how your player doesn't like these discs.

David Holm

Grip
I actually had the same problem - both my Playstation 2 and Sony S330 had problems playing the movie in Chapter 16. Pixelation problems, slow downs, and finally downright stopping of the player. I exchanged at a different local Best Buy and the second time around the movie played just fine...

Guy*S

Auditioning
Hi, everyone: my first post (I'm new to the Home Theater Forum).

I have both the widescreen and the fullscreen editions of The Incredibles and noticed some distortion in the fullscreen edition: the image seems to be elongated vertically by about 10% (or, to put it another way, squashed horizontally by about 10%). I see this when playing it on my Panasonic 53" screen set to 4:3 with a Panasonic DVD-S25 player, and I also see it when using Apple DVD Player on a Macintosh with a 15" 1024x768 flat-panel screen. A good place to check this is 49 seconds into Scene 21, where the Omnidroid is about to be inserted into the rocket; both the Omnidroid and the hole ought to be almost perfectly circular---they do look circular in the widescreen version (and, according to my memory, on the big screen as well---I've seen it seven times on big screens, in six different theaters). But with the fullscreen edition, the vertical dimension of the hole is about 10% larger than the horizontal dimension (I measured it on both the TV and the computer by putting a ruler up next to the screen).

I think it's not just this scene, but the whole movie. I actually first noticed it because the characters seemed oddly thin to me, even gaunt---as if out of a painting by Heironymous Bosch: Syndrome's face looks oddly asymmetrical when he cocks his head, Helen's chin looks just a little too pointy, and so on.

I called the Disney tech support number today, and both the "cast member" who initially took the call and the technician to whom she transferred me were very patient and helpful. The tech fetched copies of both DVDs and checked it out on his own computer screen; he didn't take a ruler to the image, but he allowed that the image looked a bit stretched to him, too. He promised to pass my inquiry on to marketing. (What I wanted to know was whether it was a problem with my disc or were they all that way, and if they were all that way, what is the exact amount or ratio of distortion.)

I'm sure Disney will get back to me on this, but I thought I'd post to this forum (I've been lurking for a few months, reading the great posts) and ask whether anyone else has observed this phenomenon---either on The Incredibles or on any other fullscreen DVD. Or am I doing something wrong with my equipment? (It seems unlikely that both my TV setup and my computer setup would fail the same way, but I have to consider all possibilities.)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If I had to guess, I'd guess that the folks doing the pan-and-scan transfer "squished" it that way to squeeze just a little bit more picture into the frame. I certainly can't imagine what kind of glitch would cause just this one disc to exhibit this kind of problem while you others all look fine.

I wonder if the director Mr. Brad Bird himself had anything to do with that decision. I ask because when his last film, The Iron Giant, was released on DVD, the disc included both the widescreen and fullscreen versions. I had taked screen captures from both to use in a "widescreen vs. fullscreen" web site I was putting together, and when I tried to lay the fullscreen captures over the widescreen ones, I noticed that they exhibited the exact same distortion you describe.

Is this a common practice, do you suppose? I generally avoid fullscreen DVDs, as do most here, I'm sure.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Bird screwing up the MAR versions intentionally? :) Actually I noticed this effect on the TV commercials and wondered why they were fubar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks