What's new

*** Official "THE HULK" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
As far as 'realistic' jumps, I cannot say how long a being like that could jump based on being radioactive and based on his size and overall strength but for me, it looked hokey.
So you can accept that a normal man grows into a large green monster, but can not accept that he can jump high, because that's just not realistic?

ok...

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
As far as 'realistic' jumps, I cannot say how long a being like that could jump based on being radioactive and based on his size and overall strength but for me, it looked hokey.
Its a comic book its not real! Thats how he jumps in the Comic Book, it was Perfect .

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Lou Ferrigno has a speaking part on King of Queens. He is a character on the show and he plays himself as the next door neighbor.

They got all of the hulks actions including the jumping right.

For those who do not know anything about the Hulk. He has carried a mountain before. The Hulk can jump for miles. Once the Hulk jumped from North America to Asia via islands and air planes. He has strength, leaping ability and great reflexes as well as sight. His skin is akin to armor that bullets and missles cannot penetrate. Oh and yes he can catch a missle like a football for those doubters out there. If you do not know anything about the hulk then do not criticize the actions he performs in the movies as these are not even his full capabilities.

What sucked

The only problem I had was with the crap story that changed his origins and with his dad turning out to be The Absorbing Man. That was sooo hokey. I only enjoyed the CG action scenes minus the last fight scene with the Father.

I give the movie an overall of 1 1/2 stars out of 5.
I give the CG and action scenes minus the last one a 4 out of 5 stars.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What part about it was hokey? The fact that it was Bruce's dad...or the fact that it was the Absorbing Man. I had a problem with it being a bit of a cheeseball fight, but I don't see why people have a problem with the Bruce/Father dynamic. It gave the story added depth...even if they had to change the origin to accomplish it.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Well, I just came back from a showing of The Hulk, and I want my damned money back. Well first, like many of you, it was a terrible viewing experience from the audience members. I even overheard from a mother that, "The next time we go to the movies, we are not going to a theater with Puerto Ricans, because they talk too much." Take it as you will.

There was a lot of chatter for the first hour, which was annoying, and I wanted to smack someone, but I relented. :)
My thoughts on The Hulk, is that it felt pretentious to me. First, the length was just enough to make this movie unbearable to me. Second, characters. I feel that the relationship between Bruce and Betty was not played up enough to make me believe that she could calm the Hulk that fast. Third, the ending. Jesus, this thing wouldn't stop. From the tacky Absorbing Man to the spanish-language version of "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." Some pluses include the CGI, which was more detailed then I expected, and Elfman's score is one of his best in a while. The action was great.

I mean, I appreciate Ang's approach to the Hulk, but to me, it fell flat on its face. Truthfully, I would have preferred the action route, with a more Spider-man-ish outlook.

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
Well said Jason. This movie did fall flat on it's face. The movie was boring and the length filled with useless made up backstory made it seem even longer. It did not keep to the truth of the Hulk and if it doesn't keep to the truth then it takes away from the character of the Hulk. I sure hope that his dad/Absorbing man is dead because now I don't ever want to see the Absorbing man ever again. Which sucks because he is a good Marvel Character. But he is butchered now so let him die in a bloody pulp. I am glad that we are past the crappy twisted origin story so we can now get to some better movies with more focus on the action and hopefully they will stay away from the father crap now.

I think only non comic book readers could truly and totally enjoy this film.

Note to all film directors who want to make a Marvel or DC or any other comic book movie: Stick to the well laid out origings of the characters umkay.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Its a comic book its not real! Thats how he jumps in the Comic Book, it was Perfect .
Is this the same Norm from the other thread? :D

Hulk made 24.9M on Friday, with a predicted weekend gross of $68.5M which will be a new June opening weekend record.

Chris

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am a big Hulk fan, and *I* enjoyed the film. It was not a home run for me, but Ang sure swung like it. And managed a triple at least. I had my beefs, but the overall impression was positive.

I really enjoyed the Hulk scenes ;)

FWIW,
Chuck

Sherief

Auditioning
I've enjoyed the movie and I 'm not a much of a fan. I though it actully had a good story and I can understand why Ang had all the stuff in the first 30 min.It was all for chracter build up and why the hulk wanted to protect bettey. it's just people were probably thinking HULK SMASH but it's wasn't really about that was it:)?

I also wanted to say that I have felt sympathy for the hulk when the military was after the hulk.I was liek leave him alone! and that ladys and genetlmen is what hulk is trying to do all his life!

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
The movie was good in it's own made up way.

I can see why people would like it. But for fans of the Hulk I do not believe it was satisfactory. The way they tinkered with the origins and messed up one of his enemies is a disgrace.

The actions scenes were great.:emoji_thumbsup:

And yeah leave him alone already.:frowning:

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I also wanted to say that I have felt sympathy for the hulk when the military was after the hulk.I was liek leave him alone! and that ladys and genetlmen is what hulk is trying to do all his life!
That part when the Hulk finally got a chance to rest in peace, only to be disturbed by the choppers, I was so ready to hear him shout "Why puny men in machines never leave Hulk alone?!" I would have totally flipped if they'd done that. All would be forgiven :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Hulk is okay but there are some flaws. I didn't like the fact that they changed Bruce Banner's name in the beginning. Also, I have to agree that the Bruce/Betty relationship wasn't developed enough. And the final battle was confusing as heck and wasn't resolved that well in the end. The CGI Hulk however was impressive. ILM has outdone themselves.

I caught the Stan Lee cameo, but missed the Lou Ferrigno one. Can anyone point it out for me?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately and sadly, those pretentious film critics who bashed this film just did'nt get it. They are expecting & want this film to be a standard Hollywood B comics movie with hyper-kinetic pace. Now I understand why a lot of real great films (with slow pacing) lately are being trashed by these same group of pretentious freaks.
...this statement is just wrong on about 12 different levels. First off, wouldn't "pretentious" people ENJOY something slow-moving and artistic? Probably. Try not to lump large groups of people under one Umbrella of Stereotype simply because you disagree with their opinions. And I know several critics, nearly all of whom really enjoyed the somewhat deliberate pacing of the film's first Act and a half.

---Some people will love this movie for precisely what it is; others may be vastly disappointed. Neither opinion is wrong.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Some of you are responding to Hulk the same way I responded to Spiderman and Daredevil (I liked the Hulk). And I'm not a comic book fan at all. Never read a single one.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The jumping was PERFECT as said by many before. The Hulk action bits were right out of the comic, down to the earthquake(or tremor if you will) caused by hitting the ground. I only wish he did the hand clap/sonic boom trick in the movie, where he claps his hands together and the force from it creates a sonic boom and destroys things in front of him.

I just thought of a minor quibble...the guys in the tanks couldnt have lived, at least the ones thrown for about a mile. THere is no way they could have survived that landing. I understand though that they couldnt show hulk as a murderer.

KevinA

Agent
Hulk good. Spiderman bad. X2 excellent.

That pretty much sums it up for me! :) btw.. im a comic fan who actually likes the hulks new origin, makes sense to me. Spidey on the other hand?? why arent there a bunch of spidey men running around with that damn mutant spider running amok biting people? ;)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I also thought the jumping was perfect. When you have a guy who leaps three miles, there's only so realistic it can look and I think this was as good as is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks