What's new

The Dark Knight (2008) (1 Viewer)

wolfman8796

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I have been unable to find the teaser trailer and the final trailer for batman begins on any dvds, especially dvds owned by Warner Bros., I own the batman begins dvd, but that only comes with the first trailer...So does anyone know which dvd has the teaser trailer and the final trailer for batman begins??

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I bought the 2 disc set (standard DVD) yesterday, and watched the film for the first time since this summer (it's been at the second run theaters for a couple of months, but I resisted the temptation because it's usually a crappy viewing experience there).

The movie holds up incredibly well. Definitely in my top five or so favorite films. Nolan (and all others involved) achieved something remarkable, moving, and immersive with TDK. It's definitely not without flaws (some of them fairly large, glaring flaws in logic) but the story - including the performances - just catapult past any hiccups or stutters. While some argue the movie is "about" Harvey or the Joker, I think it's firmly about Batman - about the cost to his crusade, the losses he experiences, and the pain and loneliness he's willing to shoulder to inspire Gotham to shrug off its fear and corruption to renew itself.

There are so many amazing moments and brilliant touches to the film. When the Joker crashes the mob's videoconference, watch him silently decide that Gamble will be the first to die (the Joker really, really doesn't like to be called crazy). I love how Batman's eyes are pinpricks of light in his cowl. The set up of "God help whoever he's after tonight" to Batman beating the shit out of Maroni's goons at the nightclub (and then Maroni) - acting out the rage of the loss of Gordon. The riveting interrogation scene where the power and strength suddenly and maddeningly tip and switch. Batman using the Joker's words against him at the end (the Joker earlier taunted Gordon about feeling "alone", and Batman flings the words back at him when the ferries do not explode). The sense of seeing the mythical pas-de-deux between the Batman and the Joker come to vivid, frightening life before your eyes.

I also think Christian Bale gave a very solid performance, in a role that called for a lot of silent communication and nuances of rage. While I agree with Bale's own assessment that it's not Oscar material, I think some have wrongly called Batman's character boring or uninteresting. Bale gives us a human, hurting hero who is just beginning to understand what his quest will require of him.

I know none of that is new to anyone, and I'm sure we all talked about these moments earlier this year. In a way, I'm saying thank you to Chris and Jonah Nolan, Christian Bale, the late Heath Ledger, and all of the people involved in bringing this staggering story to us. Thanks to WB and 42E for the fun, atmospheric and anticipation-building viral marketing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the old movie palaces in the area, Proctor's, had a one day screening of the film last weekend. They built out the stage and mainly feature tours of Broadway shows now, so when they do put up the screen it's a real treat. The picture quality was probably 80%, but the sound was top-notch. What an experience seeing the film on one of the largest screens around, with the entire downstairs packed (if the balcony had been open the theater could have seated 2,646 to give you an idea of the size). Whole mix of ages, and judging by the reactions a fair share of people who were seeing it for the first time. A true reminder of what we lost when the multiplexes moved in.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...8s-bestseller/

First Day 'Dark Knight' DVD Sales Break Record: Certain To Smash ALL Records

I just heard that Warner Bros' Batman Blu-ray discs alone sold 600,000 copies on Tuesday, the first day of release. By contrast, Marvel/Paramount's Iron Man sold 250,000 Blu-ray discs when it premiered on September 30th and ended up selling 400,000 Blu-ray units in its first week. But wait til you see what The Dark Knight sold in both formats, standard def and hi-def: 3 million copies bought by customers in the U.S., Canada and the UK on its first day in stores. That's 3x the norm. This isn't a superhero, it's a cash cow! The Dark Knight was not only 2008's best DVD sales day, but is also likely to be 2008's bestseller of the year by next week with a projected number of 7 million units. This is beyond huge! Christopher Nolan's pic is truly the gift that keeps on giving after already making $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Warner Bros should use this phenomenal performance to help push The Dark Knight and everyone associated with it for Oscar nominations as a box office phenomenon and critical darling. The studio said sales surged at grocery stores, indicating that the format is broadening beyond early adopters to more mainstream buyers, notably women. What makes this all the more remarkable is that I've been told Hollywood's overall DVD sales should end the year 30% down, although the Industry is only admitting to 6% off for the year so far. And Blu-ray has been pretty much written off as a new type of laserdisc just for film aficionados despite the Industry's deep discounting of players and ensuring inventories of blockbusters.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yep Heath Ledger gets a GG nom, which bodes well for an Oscar nom. The film was left out of other categories though. I mean was Slumdog Millionaire really a better film than The Dark Knight? Genre films get shafted every year. I'm not the biggest Batman fan but come on with all the buzz this film had it really was the biggest film of the year wasn't it? Will it get ignored come Oscar time, let's see.

http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/104

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed. Really good post.

I netflixed TDK and watched it yesterday. I liked it better the second time than I did the first. I think the difference was that I was more successful turning off my brain than I was the first time.

It seems that a key premise is that Gotham residence can't look out for themselves thus allowing the mobsters to flourish. That calls for Batman as a reaction to the mobsters. That calls for the Joker as a reaction to Batman and the failure of the mobsters. And I was fine with that. It also fits with the Joker's observation that if Gotham didn't need the cape crusader they would turn on him as well. This also fits in with the tragic story of Harvey. Batman yearns for Harvey to be successful, but the chaos that is the Joker shows this to be an unfulfilled hope.

But then they have this awful, poorly thought out ferry deal. With Batman getting to proclaim the human goodness shining past the mob mentality. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not to sidetrack the thread, but did you see Slumdog Millionaire? It too is a genre film. As for your question, since this is the TDK thread, I'll refrain from answering. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll answer that. TDK is my second favorite film of the year so far, just barely edging Speed Racer.

Slumdog Millionaire is my #1. So, at least, I think SM is better. And I've been pretty effusive with praise about TDK since release
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
After seeing The Dark Knight on Blu-ray over the weekend....& this is my 4th time overall; this film IMO, is far and away the best film of 2008. My 3rd viewing was my favorite until the Blu-ray experience. Dang I have a great HT system. :P

I know we've discussed this film from beginning to end but some things need repeating. Heath Ledger's performance just keeps getting better. My favorite sequence is the interrogation scenes; first with Gordon/Joker, then Batman. The chemistry and intensity are among the most captivating-maybe ever filmed. That scene alone should (probably won't)...earn Ledger an Oscar.

I also enjoyed the score this time much more. Perhaps it's the improved audio experience?

The Dark Knight is a Masterpiece.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

I don't think it's a matter of them being unable. From the Gotham presented in the films, the citizens might be compared to victims of domestic abuse; after a while, the fear and pain become the most important things in your life, and you adjust your priorities. It isn't that you're less good; it's that you've become so accustomed to living in fear that that becomes the norm.

Batman is trying to inspire the city to throw off its fear and take the city back. Dent represented an incredible hope for him because he was essentially Gotham's leading citizen, doing Batman's work, but in a wholly legal and legit fashion - exactly what Batman had been hoping for.

That's what makes Rachel's death - and Dent's turning and death - so moving and difficult for Bruce/Batman. Both represented hope for a "normal" life, for the retiring of Batman and trying to live life as Bruce Wayne, in a city no longer ruled by fear and corruption.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks