What's new

*** Official THE CORE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I hope this doesn't make much money. This just promotes more horrible films in the future.

The whole premise is so stupid. Earthquakes and volcanoes pose a potentially huge threat to the entire planet. Who are these idiots that right up this stuff?

Sometimes I wonder why I'm not in the film industry. It seems that a lot of us here are twice as smart as half the idiots in hollywood that actually think they produce good stuff.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
This type of movie makes me wish that Mystery Science Theater 3000 was still on. It would be perfect fodder for the geniuses behind one of the all-time great wiseass shows.
BTW, does anybody else see Hilary Swank as becoming the next oscar punchline, a la Mira Sorvino and Marisa Tomei(up until last year)? Some really bad choices in the wake of the fantastic Boys Dont Cry, with maybe the exception being Insomnia(swedish version much better). Maybe she can do a sequal to The Next Karate Kid?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for the scene where one of the crew members get's trapped on a part of the ship, then screams at his lovable crew members under the door that shuts and they can't stop it. Screams "save the planet!!! forget about me!!". Then they jettison that part of the ship, while our hero saves the day.

All this movie needs now is some aliens living at the core, and we have a great movie.

what a load of crap. I still am dumbfounded at these people that write these ideas up, and someone at the studios says "wow great idea!"

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
BTW, does anybody else see Hilary Swank as becoming the next oscar punchline, a la Mira Sorvino and Marisa Tomei(up until last year)? Some really bad choices in the wake of the fantastic Boys Dont Cry, with maybe the exception being Insomnia(swedish version much better).
Bad Choices? She hasn't done much since "Boys Don't Cry". She was in "The Gift" (decent Sam Raimi film), "Affair Of The Necklace" (The only "bad" film of the bunch.), and "Insomnia" (Didn't see the original, but she did a good job in this version) and now "The Core" which is definitly the "pay the bills" type of movie, and maybe to get a little more noticed. It is a little early to write her off.

That being said, even with the crummy science, this film probably will do good business anyways, since people generally don't care. They want to see something that is entertaining, and this will probably deliver on that at least.

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I can picture dialogue right now..

Crow: "So, let me get this straight, a guy goes into the earth to jump start it.."
Tom Servo: "Correct"
Crow: "Is it George Clooney?"
Tom Servo: "No."
Crow: "Is it the other George Clooney from the sitcom ER, not the drama ER?"
Tom Servo: "No."
Crow: "So, do they find Satan down there?"

;)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Excerpt from Total Film's review 'Especially embarrassing are exterior shots of the Virgil penetrating Mother Earth like a giant dildo, giving worrying credence to one characters proclamation that "we're fucking our planet!"' :)
Rating 3 out of 5 stars.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

No. In order to "stop spinning" relative to the rest of the planet the core would have to, somehow, establish a counterspin.

Physics. Good for you, good for me, good for everybody!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This is going to rock. I'm hoping for more unintentional laughs than I've had in a long time.

Of course, its faring much better on RottenTomatoes than I would have normally expected (And much better than Basic, which is even more surprising).

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The problem with a movie like Armageddon is that it expected to be take seriously (as much as an Action flick can) and therefore (IMO) made its self fair game for scientific nit-picking... of course with that movie the "nits" were huge Ostrich sized eggs of implausibility.

If this movie doesn't take itself too seriously it could be fun in a "hey we're morons and we like it" kind of way.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Does it really matter?

This movie looks like pure fun. I'm gonna see it this weekend I think. Second film of the year I'll see in theaters, "Daredevil" was the first. Yeah, I'm a real film snob! :)

/Mike

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
This movie was a LOT of silly fun. :)

LOTS of scientific hiccups, but what do you expect? I particularly enjoyed the new metal they invent to withstand the pressure. Total fantasy with minimal explanation. Perfect. How can you be sure it works? Because they say it will!

Better than Armageddon. Too bad they didn't have more money for the apocalyptic sfx.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Ebert's review is up, and it's a hoot. Sounds like this one might be worth renting for a few good laughs and a subwoofer workout, but I don't see myself paying $7 to see it in theaters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
earth's core has stopped spinning, and for mankind to continue to live on the planet, the core needs to be re-started.
....taken from Patrick Sun's review.

The ship wasn't named "Team Blader" was it?

"Okay team....all together now....grab that handle and.......LET 'ER RIIIPPP!"

This isn't a lost episode of "FUTURAMA" is it? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Core" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Core" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I just posted my review in the proper thread. Hope you dig it.

Feel free to mock me for somehow enjoying large chunks of this silly silly movie. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks