1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official THE CORE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ross Williams, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Well-Known Member

Saw this last night, and it's a tech geek's wet dream. The type of people that love to rip ID4, Armageddon, etc. to scientific pieces, are gonna die and go to heaven when they see The Core. I'm not that scientifically inclined, but once they got into the meat of this film, it had me saying, "Yeah right!" about every 30 seconds. I won't go into those right now, I'll save them as nuggets of laughter for you to enjoy. There's about 1000 of them, pay close attention.

I would never pay to see this in the theater, but I got a free ticket, so I went into it knowing that it would be a huge pile of junk. I managed to enjoy it on that level.

For those of you that don't know. The Core is basically a rip-off of Armageddon and Deep Impact, except they've got to go in, instead of out. The Earth's core has stopped spinning and only a couple of scientists and astronauts, with a huge nuke can "jump-start" it, before the world is destroyed.

The story is obvious. The dialouge is cliche'. The actors are simply in it for the money. The special effects range from ok to terrible. But if you enjoy 100 million dollar train wrecks, the way I do, you just might have some fun with this.

2. Holadem

Holadem Well-Known Member

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Well-Known Member

Dang, I was hoping for Lawrence of Arabia quality cinema here. [​IMG]

Is it too much of a spoiler to tell us how the space shuttle fits into the story?

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Well-Known Member

Surprised to see the shuttle shots back in on TV commercials after they were pulled after the recent disaster. But with the war going on, I suppose that is considered ancient history now.

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Well-Known Member

I'm really confused now. Where does the whole "weapon that creates earthquakes" angle fit in?

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

silly season.

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Well-Known Member

This looked like the first best picture canidate so far. I'm highly dissapointed now!

8. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Well-Known Member

9. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised The Core ia ripoff of Armegeddon, when even their trailer (not to mention the logo!) is a ripoff of the original's trailer?

8^B

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Well-Known Member

I expected it to be bad (and it was) but it's that sort of Fun Bad that I expect to be mocked for unmercifully.

Golden Rule of Silly Adventure flicks: do not bore the audience!

This movie has several glaring flaws, but it didn't bore me - so I have no problem giving it a minor recommendation.

(I'd call it a Marijuana Matinee Movie.) [​IMG]

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

12. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Well-Known Member

The earthquake weapon: Basically, the US develops it in retaliation of another, unspecified country building one. The testing of the weapon is what causes the core to stop spinning in the first place.

The shuttle: Near the begining of the film, the shuttle is caused to go off course by atmospheric interference. They have to crash-land in downtown LA. The pilots are commended for their bravery and chosen to be the one's to "fly" the ship into the core.

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Can't wait, I see 'guilty pleasure' written all over this.
    Here's what Variety has to say about it...

"In the saving-the-world-from-imminent-destruction genre, "The Core" takes its place as the anti-"Armageddon": The daring rescue team must travel into the earth instead of away from it, and, more notably, the picture projects a sardonically irreverent rather than pretentiously self-inflated view of its own importance.

As disposable as the popcorn that will be widely consumed during its theatrical runs, this lavishly produced drama about a molten threat to global survival is nonetheless more palatable than most pictures of its ilk due to its keen awareness of its own preposterousness, a self-knowledge exuberantly expressed by a mostly live-wire cast."

Heres the link to the rest of the review...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...w_film_core_dc

14. Dewitte

Dewitte Well-Known Member

And who says Irwin Allen is dead?

Bring on The Core! I think I'll follow it with a Land of the Giants chaser [​IMG]

De

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Well-Known Member

I loved ripping apart Armageddon ad I can see this is next. Excellent.

16. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Well-Known Member

For those interested in ripping this movie to scientific pieces, the latest Popular Science magazine has a small article with a physics professor, I think, about this movie. Pretty funny what he says too.

17. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention that Ryan. I recall not too long ago that the director wrote a whiney letter to AICN bitching that it wasn't fair for them to make fun of the science behind the movie, because the director assured us he'd done a lot of research and it was valid, realistic science. [​IMG]

18. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, the article Ryan refers to is available online

19. derek

derek Well-Known Member

What is scary is WHY someone would want to rip-off drek like Armageddon?!?!? *shrug* Wash Times gives 'Core' a star + half.

20. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff, I didn't realize that article could be found online, as my dad has a subscription.

If that director says that is valid science, then I don't want him designing anything I own![​IMG]