What's new

*** Official THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK Review Thread (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to read so much appreciation of this film here guys. I saw it on opening night with a bunch of friends and we all loved it. With that said, I've been a little dismayed to read so many negative slams for this movie.

I thought it was awesome. I would've liked to have seen Twohy spend a little more time on the Necromonger mythology (I have a feeling there may be more put into the director's cut DVD) and such. This film introduced a very interesting world, but there were somethings which were missing. I suppose my biggest gripe was that the Necromongers were waging this "holy crusade" and were met with very little opposition in the galaxy. There had to be some sort of resistance beyond each planet fending off the invasion-shouldn't there?

But everything else was awesome. I'm not sure why people are carping on Colm Feore for being too over the top. His Lord Marshall was a little outrageous, but nothing worth criticizing in my opinion. As the hero, Vin Diesel was awesome, though I would've enjoyed a little more insight into his character.

Still, the action was top notch, the escape from Crematoria was one of the most amazing sequences I've seen in the movies in a very, very long time, and the ending, well, it was delicious.

I'm really sad to see this movie take such a hit at the box office, I would say it was my favorite film of the summer by a long shot and I'll continue to hope and pray for the miracle that David Twohy still be able to finish up his planned trilogy with the two subsequent installments.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to read so much appreciation of this film here guys. I saw it on opening night with a bunch of friends and we all loved it. With that said, I've been a little dismayed to read so many negative slams for this movie.

I thought it was awesome. I would've liked to have seen Twohy spend a little more time on the Necromonger mythology (I have a feeling there may be more put into the director's cut DVD) and such. This film introduced a very interesting world, but there were somethings which were missing. I suppose my biggest gripe was that the Necromongers were waging this "holy crusade" and were met with very little opposition in the galaxy. There had to be some sort of resistance beyond each planet fending off the invasion-shouldn't there?

But everything else was awesome. I'm not sure why people are carping on Colm Feore for being too over the top. His Lord Marshall was a little outrageous, but nothing worth criticizing in my opinion. As the hero, Vin Diesel was awesome, though I would've enjoyed a little more insight into his character.

Still, the action was top notch, the escape from Crematoria was one of the most amazing sequences I've seen in the movies in a very, very long time, and the ending, well, it was delicious.

I'm really sad to see this movie take such a hit at the box office, I would say it was my favorite film of the summer by a long shot and I'll continue to hope and pray for the miracle that David Twohy still be able to finish up his planned trilogy with the two subsequent installments.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Matt, I agree completely. I think this movie was awesome, and I don't understand the criticism. It has characters I care about, cool action, great effects, an interesting story, and great potential for future installments. Do I want more backstory on Riddick's character? Sure! Do I want more explanation of the Necromongers and the Underverse? Yes please! More planets involved in the fight against the Necromongers? I'll take it! All of which are reasons to come back for more. There are two movies after this--I'm sure we'll get more back story as we move along. A little bit of mystery is a good thing in the first movie of a trilogy.

I thought the Furian thing was a fine rationalization for Riddick being able to defeat virtually anyone. Maybe some thought it was corny or ad hoc, but I think it makes him more believable as a badass (as if Vin Diesel's performance isn't enough to convince you of that!).

I like Riddick. I like how he sees possibilities where everyone else only sees the impossible. His strength comes not merely from being a strong, skilled fighter, but from not letting fear stop him. Sure, some may claim that it's easy to be fearless when you're such a badass, but since when do muscles and knives help you against a 700 degree sunrise? No, his physical assets are not the source of his courage, but merely a vehical for his courage and personality to manifest themselves. When he is confronted with a situation where his muscles and speed are not enough, he uses his mind and PAYS ATTENTION. He could not have physically won the last fight from brute force alone. So does Twohy cheat and give him an Ultimate Weapon or super-human powers? No. He simply lets Riddick be Riddick, a fighter who watches and waits for the perfect moment, a fighter who anticipates what is going to happen. And it is precisely because he sees the possibilities--doesn't accept that success is impossible--that he catches hold of such fortuitous advantages. And this ability to see what others don't pay attention to is perhaps more important than his gimmicky ability to see in the dark.

In this way, Riddick succeeds in doing the "impossible" without it seeming goofy or absurd. Twohy doesn't let us forget that death was just a heartbeat away, with little details like the steam rising off Riddick's skin after the cliff rescue on Crematorium, for instance.

I'm trying to be objective here, but I really can't find anything to complain about. Oh, for objectivity's sake, I'll complain that there's not enough nudity. You can never have too many ladies gettin' naked.

Just kidding. This movie rocked. Go see it.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Matt, I agree completely. I think this movie was awesome, and I don't understand the criticism. It has characters I care about, cool action, great effects, an interesting story, and great potential for future installments. Do I want more backstory on Riddick's character? Sure! Do I want more explanation of the Necromongers and the Underverse? Yes please! More planets involved in the fight against the Necromongers? I'll take it! All of which are reasons to come back for more. There are two movies after this--I'm sure we'll get more back story as we move along. A little bit of mystery is a good thing in the first movie of a trilogy.

I thought the Furian thing was a fine rationalization for Riddick being able to defeat virtually anyone. Maybe some thought it was corny or ad hoc, but I think it makes him more believable as a badass (as if Vin Diesel's performance isn't enough to convince you of that!).

I like Riddick. I like how he sees possibilities where everyone else only sees the impossible. His strength comes not merely from being a strong, skilled fighter, but from not letting fear stop him. Sure, some may claim that it's easy to be fearless when you're such a badass, but since when do muscles and knives help you against a 700 degree sunrise? No, his physical assets are not the source of his courage, but merely a vehical for his courage and personality to manifest themselves. When he is confronted with a situation where his muscles and speed are not enough, he uses his mind and PAYS ATTENTION. He could not have physically won the last fight from brute force alone. So does Twohy cheat and give him an Ultimate Weapon or super-human powers? No. He simply lets Riddick be Riddick, a fighter who watches and waits for the perfect moment, a fighter who anticipates what is going to happen. And it is precisely because he sees the possibilities--doesn't accept that success is impossible--that he catches hold of such fortuitous advantages. And this ability to see what others don't pay attention to is perhaps more important than his gimmicky ability to see in the dark.

In this way, Riddick succeeds in doing the "impossible" without it seeming goofy or absurd. Twohy doesn't let us forget that death was just a heartbeat away, with little details like the steam rising off Riddick's skin after the cliff rescue on Crematorium, for instance.

I'm trying to be objective here, but I really can't find anything to complain about. Oh, for objectivity's sake, I'll complain that there's not enough nudity. You can never have too many ladies gettin' naked.

Just kidding. This movie rocked. Go see it.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Wow Nathan, that's a whole mess of welcome insight into Riddick's character that you offer and I agree 100%.

I wanted to see this movie again tonight but my girlfriend came along and as a result, we saw The Stepford Wives, which was filth by the way (I'm a big fan of the original). So, I'll try and make my way to the theatre this week for an encore.

Judging from the box office take, an immediate sequel seems unlikely which really saddens me, particularly when Riddick has easily been my favorite film of the summer. Still, with overseas markets and DVD sales, I'm REALLY hoping that this won't be the last we hear of Richard B.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Wow Nathan, that's a whole mess of welcome insight into Riddick's character that you offer and I agree 100%.

I wanted to see this movie again tonight but my girlfriend came along and as a result, we saw The Stepford Wives, which was filth by the way (I'm a big fan of the original). So, I'll try and make my way to the theatre this week for an encore.

Judging from the box office take, an immediate sequel seems unlikely which really saddens me, particularly when Riddick has easily been my favorite film of the summer. Still, with overseas markets and DVD sales, I'm REALLY hoping that this won't be the last we hear of Richard B.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Looks like the end of Riddick. Only 44 Million after 2 weeks - 70% drop. Ouch. I can't help but blame the critics to some extent. They bashed this firm mercelessly and it was unwarranted.

On the other hand, I don't know what the producers were thinking greenlighting a $105 million budget. There is no way this film was going to do better than $75M theatrically, critics or otherwise. The project just doesnt make sense on that scale. Pitch Black is 4 years old and only grossed $39M. Why would they think this thing would make money at a $100M level?

I would have kept this thing at $40M budget, kept it rated R, dropped the Necromongers and the huge CGI bill. They could have easily made a movie on the ice planet and fire planet alone.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Looks like the end of Riddick. Only 44 Million after 2 weeks - 70% drop. Ouch. I can't help but blame the critics to some extent. They bashed this firm mercelessly and it was unwarranted.

On the other hand, I don't know what the producers were thinking greenlighting a $105 million budget. There is no way this film was going to do better than $75M theatrically, critics or otherwise. The project just doesnt make sense on that scale. Pitch Black is 4 years old and only grossed $39M. Why would they think this thing would make money at a $100M level?

I would have kept this thing at $40M budget, kept it rated R, dropped the Necromongers and the huge CGI bill. They could have easily made a movie on the ice planet and fire planet alone.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Saw it this weekend and I enjoyed it, but as much because it was unintentionally funny as anything else.

There's a lot of stuff that looks cool. The spaceships look cool. Riddick looks cool. The chicks look cool. And everybody flies around and looks cool. It's a cool convention.

And a lot of it was corny.
Spoilers:
The bad guy literally rips people's souls out and you SEE the soul (which is, of course, a nearly transparent version of the person, clothes and all)

The plot is sloppy- first there's this whole war thing, then they spend half the movie away from it only to return to it real quick in the end to finish that plot line off.

Too much of that music video editing stuff. I know, I know, that's just the way things are done now, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. It hurts my eyes. I want to see the stunts and shooting and death, but it's just flashes of light and sunglasses. Which reminds me of a great drinking game I made up- rent the DVD and drink everytime Riddick takes off or puts on his shades. You will be plastered, which should only enhance your enjoyment of the film.

The ending was just ridiculous, as it followed when the corniest movie cliches of all time to the letter.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Saw it this weekend and I enjoyed it, but as much because it was unintentionally funny as anything else.

There's a lot of stuff that looks cool. The spaceships look cool. Riddick looks cool. The chicks look cool. And everybody flies around and looks cool. It's a cool convention.

And a lot of it was corny.
Spoilers:
The bad guy literally rips people's souls out and you SEE the soul (which is, of course, a nearly transparent version of the person, clothes and all)

The plot is sloppy- first there's this whole war thing, then they spend half the movie away from it only to return to it real quick in the end to finish that plot line off.

Too much of that music video editing stuff. I know, I know, that's just the way things are done now, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. It hurts my eyes. I want to see the stunts and shooting and death, but it's just flashes of light and sunglasses. Which reminds me of a great drinking game I made up- rent the DVD and drink everytime Riddick takes off or puts on his shades. You will be plastered, which should only enhance your enjoyment of the film.

The ending was just ridiculous, as it followed when the corniest movie cliches of all time to the letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks