What's new

***Official Survivor: Amazon Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It always amazes me that the ones that deserve to get kicked off never do.

Why don't they ever boot the one who costs them the challenge?

Dan must be one of those gym guys who can lift weights but has little to no true athletic ability.
Either Ryan or Dan were the weak links. Dan might've been slightly weaker on the beam (I've got a theory*), but Ryan's just as weak, all-round.

*Brilliant move to include balancing at the end! As we all know from the chair/wall exercise, women have a lower center of gravity and hence much better balance than men. As for Dan - we've all seen the top-heavy type in the gyms. His center of gravity is probably along his shoulders!

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The women are gonna have such a hard time fending off for themselves. I was laughing so hard watching them use the machetes and trying to fish, lol.

And yes, the men are really cocky! Very arrogant. Dan is my survivor in our pool here at work (picked out of a bag, not on purpose) and I must say, I don't think I'm gonna be in the run for too long. Dan has got to be one of the dumbest survivors ever. The way he talks reminds me of junior high.

I also felt very sorry for the deaf girl. She's looking like an outsider. I'm pulling for her.

Good start! Let the games begin.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When Heidi got the last key and was running back towards her tribe (showing only her backside), I was mentally screaming "go to camera that's facing Heidi!!!!"

But I was rewarded with my patience as they kept the same camera angle as Heidi ran back towards the original camera towards the finish line.

My new mantra: Run Heidi Run!

If Dan and Ryan would have used their brains on the balance log, they would have went side-to-side (sideways, not straight on) on the log after falling off of it to get a better foothold. Don't any of these people watch Fear Factor? :)

The voting breakdown:

Roger - Ryan, Matthew, Daniel
Daniel - Dave
Ryan - Roger, Rob, Alex, and Butch

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, there are way too many J-names on the women tribe:

Jeanne
Janet
Jenna
Joanna

Sheesh!

Where did they find Janet? How naive can you be to think that life in the Amazon was going to be a cakewalk? "It was brutal". Duh! It makes you wonder how CBS finds people with very little knowledge of living outdoors in less-than-pleasant conditions.

While the editing made Christy seems somewhat pathetic in showing life as a deaf person, she still has her eyes, and when she sees a group of women going somewhere, she needs to get moving and join the group! Just standing around watching the fire and feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to get it done.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Anyone else catch Jeff say when talking about the Amazon, "it stretches two and a half million miles"?

I fear the Women will be in real trouble soon if they do not start work on the camp and getting food.

The swimsuit model, Jenna seems as dumb as a box of rocks (maybe Evan from JM can look her up later) and I don;t see how she can make it. On day 2 she looked like what most Survivors look like on day 30. :eek: Of course she must have super low metabolism already.

Chris_HD

Agent
I thought the term of the night was when Rob referred to the girl's team as "The Vagina Monologues". Had me in stitches.

The girls choked on the number puzzle but blew through the final puzzle at the end. My guess is that raw strength isn't going to be a major feature of any of the challenges.

Regarding Kristy, this is close to home as both of my kids are deaf. Oral deaf, like her, who speak and speechread. As someone else mentioned, the editing is the key, and it sure made her out to be a whiner. My kids have to deal with these things every day, and each of them deals with them differently. My son tends to stand back, pick up what he can, and drive the conversation to one-on-one to fill in the gaps. My daughter is just the opposite. She takes over and drives the conversation *her* way. Both are successful approaches. I'm watching to see what Kristi does. She will have to do something, and I'm sure that she knows it.

It is perfectly natural for hearing people that have never dealt with a deaf person to treat them differently. It is up to the deaf person to advocate for themselves in whatever way fits their personality and the situation.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how Kristi's speechreading ability could be her ace in the hole. My kids can speechread across a crowded room. If Kristi puts herself out of earshot but within speechreading range of the right conversations, she may be able to use that to her strategic advantage.

We'll see, and until then, I'm pulling for her

Chris

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Darwin Award for This Week's Episode:

The women trying to light a fire without using kerosene.

Quote of the Week:

Ryan at the voting table - "Don't hunt what you can't kill."

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
The speech-reading reminded me of a Seinfeld episode with that topic.

Why does everything always remind me of a Seinfeld episode?! Maybe there's something wrong with me :eek:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also feel bad for Christy. Being deaf is going to be their reason to make her an easy boot because it could be considered a sympathy boot (she'd have the toughest time out there).

The tribes are certainly more interesting. Without the opposite sex around, everyone seems to be themselves more openly.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
The speech-reading reminded me of a Seinfeld episode with that topic.
It's a skill, like juggling. :D

----

Another great start for Survivor in my book!

Once again, the editing will play a huge part, taking us down one path while the answer is down another. Men vs. Women is a great concept and is certainly a welcome change to keep things fresh. It'll be really interesting to see how things unfold in the second episode (the women don't have a shelter yet).

It was hiliarious listening to the guys at tribal council talk about who's 'hot'! :D Indeed, people do behave differently without the opposite sex around.

I'm not sure if showing all that footage of Christy was necessary or not - I guess we'll have to wait and see. It really is anyone's guess as to whether she'll be voted out earlier or later.

Looking forward to what lies ahead! ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Episode 2 - 2/20/03

Good grief!

The winner of the reward challenge were

the women again because, well, they are better at the verbal communication department and seem to multi-task better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here's who got the boot:

Janet was shown the door by a vote of 5-1-1-1

The vote breakdown:

Janet - Heidi, Jenna, Shawna, Deena, Jeane
Jenna - Christie
Jeane - Janet
Christie - Joanna

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Looks like some ooo-la-la coming up next week!! :D Heh...sorry.

Another good episode. Showing the guys bumbling around with the reward challenge was funny. I was glad to see them win immunity though. It will be interesting to see how many physical vs. mental challenges there are, since physical (except for balance beams!) will strongly favour the guys.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Christy. I can't imagine what it would be like not being able to hear. I do think she'll be gone soon enough because of her attitude towards the others. Not that I think she was out of line or anything...every tribe needs a leader and the women have proved that point.

JoAnne needs to go next though. Ugh, those mile-a-minute, finger pointing talkers don't get any points from me. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Joanna is not a shining example of her ... affiliation. Talk about being closed minded and politically unsavvy.

Roger also got lit up by Alex. :D Rob was enjoying it.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Yes, Roger lost that one big time....boy did he sound stupid!

Roger: Sex is for procreation. A man and woman are needed to procreate.
Alex: So you're saying you only had sex with your wife twice for procreation?
Roger: Well, no.
Alex: There, it's for something else other than procreation, isn't it?

:laugh:

Go get 'em Alex!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Tonight's episode was quality Survivor. Even though the challenges were rehashes from previous editions, they were still fun to watch, and the stuff going on at both camps was what really elevated tonight's show. I wonder if we'll ever find out who's granola bar that was. I also got a kick out of Rob laughing at Roger and Alex.

Does anyone else think Dave sometimes looks a little like Phil Keoghan?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Re: the preview for next weeks episode...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:D

Brian

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, is there a mini-alliance in the female camp already:

Jeanne
Heidi
Deena
Shawna
Jenna

Or did they just not like Janet and suspected that she smuggled in the granola bar regardless of her denials?

Joanna is cutting her own throat with all of her protestation of the idol's presence (and the "hand" crap). That's just carrying her baggage too far into the game. Where do the producers find these politically inept, but prideful contestants?

Christy, amazingly enough, is capable of being a whiny person whose attention span is shorter than a gnat's.

Those 2 are next on the chopping block, but Christy will go before Joanna due to Joanna being a physically stronger person.

Heidi's fake boobs are going to look really ridiculous the longer she stays in the game because she's got like 2% body fat.

Roger is also cutting his own throat with his bigotry.

Why do the guys also show up in the game cut and ripped? You need to pack on some pounds so that you won't be really emaciated the longer you stay in the game.

Butch looked really flustered acting as the traffic controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks