What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Can someone explain to me what the whole cave on degabah is all about? I was really expecting EP III to explain it for me but apparently George had other plans. :frowning:

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I always interpreted the cave scene to mean that Luke's greatest fear is not actually Vader, but himself. Possibly that he is afraid of potentially going to the dark side and it scares him? Hmmmmm......

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, I think it was used to show that Luke was afraid he would follow in Vader's footsteps. This vision also pointed toward the later revelation that Vader was in fact Luke's father.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
But she is 'the princess', isn't she? How would anyone know that if she isn't Padme's daughter, officially?
I wanted to address this briefly just to touch on it a bit...

Towards the end of ROTS Senator Organa is referred to as "your majesty" thus it is presumed that he is from a royal bloodline and that is why Leia is a princess. Remember Padme had long since given up her throan as Queen on Naboo even before Leia was born so the Princess attached to her name could not have referred to Padme.

On the Leia thing, I see a lot of anger in her in ANH and not just in her interaction with Vader. She is not really using a lot of diplomacy when she is badmouthing the people trying to rescue her and when she refers to Chewy as "this walking carpet" I think that if you put her in Luke's shoes and the fact that she cares just as much for the rebellion its basically her life's purpose then when Palps gives her the news that its all a set up...that would've shoved her right over the edge and in to the darkside and she would've been a darthette.

All IMO of course as we would never really know but I sense a lot of anger in Leia during ANH.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Towards the end of ROTS Senator Organa is referred to as "your majesty" thus it is presumed that he is from a royal bloodline and that is why Leia is a princess.
And Bail Organa's wife is credited as Queen Organa, thus making Leia a Princess.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The cave scene to me was Luke attacking Vader out of fear and anger and that in allowing his emotions to get in the way of his judgment, he could become the very thing he was out to destroy.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There is a lot of comedy that can be done with Yoda. I love the scene somebody proposed of Yoda and Obi-Wan having to live as roommates for a while on Tatooine.

"Blast, not raw grub worms again! That's the fourth night in a row!"

"Do any better can you, hmm? Won Iron Jedi competition every time I entered, did I!"

"The tasters must have been from Polis Massa. They don't have mouths, you know."

"Does it, that does. Cook for you again, I shall not!"

"What cooking? I could go out and dig in the dirt and get the same meal!"

"Then perhaps you should!"

"I will!"

"Good!"

"Hey, Yoda. What are we fighting for? Grubs are fine."

"Just saying that, you are."

"No, I'm serious! I've never had such wonderful grubs before in my life! I can't wait to come back here and eat grubs after a hard day of scanning the horizon to make sure Imperial troops aren't coming after us and the boy!"

"Much sarcasm I sense in you."

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
MMM, overflowed the toilet you did Obi-Wan. Much anger you should sense in me.

From now on, take my shower before you I will. Use all the hot water you do.

MMM, do chors you must. Tired I am of watching you sit around and play video games. Learn the ways of the vacume you will.

Why do I have to do all the chors?

Outrank you I still do.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have a STAR WARS question for all the diehard fans. I've never been too keen on SW, but I have seen STAR WARS, EMPIRE, and PHANTOM MENACE. Now I'm hearing that the new film is pretty strong, so I'd like to go the whole route and really experience the entire saga for the first time.

Now the question -- what's the best order to view the 6 films in? The way they were first released, or in chronological order? That is, which makes the most sense and which is the most rewarding experience? Thanks.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Now the question -- what's the best order to view the 6 films in? The way they were first released, or in chronological order? That is, which makes the most sense and which is the most rewarding experience? Thanks.
Both ways have their pros and cons. I dont think it would make much difference since you have seen 4 and 5. You might as well go the chronological route.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I always thought the cave on degabah was some dark place where yoda perhaps killed a sith (that sith would now be known as dooku, or possibly maul for all I knew) and the reason Yoda was hiding on degabah was becasue all the darkside force from that dead sith would kinda mask his presence. That way vader or palpy couldn't find him.
But now I don't know what to think. Was it just a regular cave? and yoda was just trying to test/scare luke?
as for your question joe, it is kinda of hard to answer cause I've seen them all countless times so I really have no perception of what order is best anymore. You'll miss out on some of the little tie-ins if you watch the pt first. but you probably wouldn't catch them anyways considering you haven't watched the OT countless times or read counless forums on starwars. If it were me for the first time, I would watch PT the OT. But that's just me.
;)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I would go for watching the movies in chronological order. I did that myself this week, and it enhanced all of the films IMHO.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I just got through watching Episodes I & II and I must say that Ep II held up remarkably well for me. Much better than Ep I. I thought the tone and flow of AOTC was more consistent than TPM. The love story dialogue didn't bother me as much as I previously thought it did (including the infamous fireplace scene). I guess because I know what they were trying to accomplish with it. As clunky and cheesy as some of the dialogue/scenes were between Hayden and Natalie it never took me out of the story. Could it have been more polished? Absolutely, but for me it never took away from the story.

On the other hand, Jar-Jar buffoonery seemed to bother me more this time around in Episode I, especially in the climatic battle scene. His antics kept you from maintaining that intensity the ending battles usually have. I mean GL would cut from the lightsaber fight to Jar-Jar screaming and yelling like a 2 year old. Whatever intensity was built up in the previous scene was taken right away.

It's just interesting to see how my impressions have changed over time. I still enjoy both movies immensely but it seems AOTC has grown more on me than TPM.

Has anyone else had different impressions on the previous 2 episodes during subsequent viewings? Especially in light of seeing Ep III (which I have not seen yet).

Chris

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in the ROTS thread. But, felt it was better put here.

After seeing ROTS on Friday. I decided to watch the original trilogy again. It is amazing how much different I looked at the whole Darth/Luke/Emporer dynamic. I felt more of an emotional impact from their scenes than I ever noticed.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just finished ANH with my wife. Oddly enough, a few details stuck out, but it's still Star Wars. Frankly, watching these in order will be rather interesting, with SW as this light, fresh space adventure between the mythic ROTS and ESB.

It's almost quaint and out of place. SW is still such a great movie.

I'll check out ESB and ANH later.

Take care,

Chuck

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'll check out ESB and ANH later.
Interesting strategy you have there Chuck to watch them in the order of 1 2, 3, 4, 5, 4.

I knew you meant ROTJ but I just couldn't resist...I mean I know some don't like the movie, but I've got to question how replacing it with ANH in the viewing order makes sense.

Just having a little SW fun right now, yeah I know fun and Star Wars who would've thought they mix so well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks