What's new

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) (5 Viewers)

FredK

Second Unit

I feel there's something there about the connection between Padme & Anakin, though "midichlorian shock" would've played even worse than "will to live."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the look on Dooku's face, not once, but at least twice, when he realized Palpatine was not going to save him, and that Anakin was going to be the guy to go through him to be the new apprentice got a good chuckle from me.

R2D2's opening sequence antics had the crowd laughing pretty heartily. The Droid's got skillz.

C3P0 was so damn shiny.

Anyone see the digits "1138" anywhere during the film anywhere?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Sidious orders Vader to shut them down in this film.
Why would you presume he didn't?

Based on how easily they were all switched off in TPM,
why would you think this would be difficult? Turn the switch, kill the Trade Federation guys, and all their robots are now scrap metal...Maybe they are melted down and made into parts the first Death Star!
:D

The Trade Federation is a bunch of cowards and once Palpy declares the Empire they are never seen again. Makes sense. How many times do you get your ass kicked before you just go hide?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

For me, if they would have just removed his line 'What have I done?' or whatever it was the scene would have been much better.

The Frankenstein scene was by far the worst for me.

Although, overall, I loved the film. Certainly the best of the prequels and I even think better than Jedi (mainly because of the Ewoks).

If I got a chance to say one thing to George, though, it would be: "Could you at least have spent a few bucks and built ONE clonetrooper costume for Commander Cody? Pasting Morrison's head on the suit? Fine for the background troopers, but d@mn, spend a few bucks and build a suit for Morrison. Sheesh"

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

He was a good villan for a few reasons: He made a non-Sith character that could be a real threat to the Jedi without introducing yet another Sith apprentice. Also that whole four arms thing really sets up how powerful Obi-Wan has become. Frankly, we need to see Obi-Wan as one tough, VERY strong Jedi or the later scene with Anakin we might be thinking, "Anakin should be kicking Obi-Wan's ass easily." By showing Obi-Wan defeat this four-sabered Frankenstein, we believe he can hold his own with Anakin. He also serves to get Obi-Wan off of Coruscant during Anakin's final turn.

The coughing was a nod to the "Clone Wars" cartoon series. Mace crushes his chest. Really, you don't need to know. It is "backstory" for that character. It is a bit like seeing "A New Hope" and asking, "Why is Vader in the mask and breathing funny?" And then complaining that the movie is weak because you don't know an villian's full backstory. He's a bad guy, he wants to rule the universe, he is twisted and evil. That is a good enough for Grievous in the context of this series.

Why do you need to know more about Greivous than the obvious: he was clearly once all flesh, and through some kind of process was made mostly cybernetic. He was probably created precisely to be a perversion of the flesh mixed with technology that is a motif in all of these films: the clones being flesh made via technology, and Vader a hybrid Frankenstein's monster.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Only on page 3. I've been up since 6 AM, and went to sleep at 4 AM, so cut me some slack on my posts in here.

Fred,
I complained about Padme earlier in the week, and I see the same comments echoed here. I simply would not have addressed it either way. I would not have added in a "force connection". No need, the intercutting gives that interpretation. I simply would have removed the "will to live" and "perfectly healthy" lines. Then it's up to the viewer, which is much more effective with something as delicate. As written, I think it really hurts Padme as a character. She has two children, and has lost the will to live? WTF? Parenthood is a far greater responsibility than wife. They should be a reason to live. She even wanted children in the AOTC deleted scenes. Her dying SHOULD have been doubly tragic because she WANTS to live to raise her children, but can't. That's way more powerful than "giving up". You think Leia would have lost the will to live? Neither shoudl Padme.

Anakin's turn played better on the second viewing. Palpatine sets the whole thing up.

The Vader transformation works for me, because it's Anakins lines coming out of Vader's mouth...tieing the visage of Vader into the man that entered the suit. I think it's a great scene. I would have understated the NOOOOO!, but it worked in the conext of the serial. In short, I forgave that bit. It worked in the same context the WAR! to open the crawl did.

Off to read member reviews,
Chuck

David Galindo

Screenwriter
That would have been killer...

"Execute plan 1138."
"Yes, my master."

Hah, that would have been hilarious and meaningful at the same time!

Also, I have no clue if this was intentional or what, but I got a good laugh when, after Anakin cuts the hands off of Count Dooku and Palpatine tells him to finish the job, Anakin says "But he is an unarmed prisoner..."

Unarmed indeed. :D

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

I had a feeling this scene would bother some. I don't have a problem with this scene. Why wouldn't Anakin walk awkwardly after having robotic legs attached to him? Also, I like the homage to Frankenstein. Vader is a monster so-to-speak in the sense that he is no longer human but rather a being that resembles a human.

One thing I'm unclear on--did Darth Sidious manipulate the midichlorians to create Anakin, or was it Darth Plagueis that created Anakin prior to being offed by Sidious?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Re: Vader's voice.

I was worried about his first speaking line, particularly after the reinserted "Alert my Star Destroyer" line in ESB didn't really sound like Vader.

But to my great relief they really NAILED Vader's voice.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The "Frankenstein" scene didn't bother me at all. I think if I just had my legs cut off and then they hinged on some mechanical ones...I just might need a few takes to feel comfortable walking right.

The more I reflect on ROTS, the more I like it...

Although I kept getting images of Buckbeat from Azkaban when OBW rides the lizard.:D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Something that hasn't been discussed is the # of theaters that have occurred technical issues with last nights premiere. Even here in Dallas, one of the screens had a melt down . Perhaps they will rid the bugs for the weekend.

The other issue was for at least my showing, the DLP was less than impressive. Wide shots took on a jagged texture (stair stepping). Closeups looked great though. But I had to tell myself over and over to avoid noticing. :b I sat right in the middle about halfway up.

I hope this is not a product issue and just a reading error on the fault of the Cinemark Legacy.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Didn't have any technical issues at my theater but the sound sure was weak. The auditorium I saw it in is a THX certified one to boot, but the surround speakers were very inactive and barely audible. It sounded just like it would had I been watching it on a TV with no additional speakers to enhance the surround sound.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Well, okay, crap was too strong, but you have to admit, Tom, that the added line sounded tonally different than anything Vader says in the rest of ESB.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I thought it sounded like crap. As did quite a few folks. It didn't help that the line that replaced it was PERFECTLY delivered. When you replace Filet Mignon on the menu, you don't do it with a Whopper.

And a badly cooked one at that :)

My issues with the presentation have all been people related. The sound wasn't turned up until the end of the crawl last week at the Uptown. They left the lights on last night until over a minute into the tracking shot of the Jedi Starfighters (Chris beat me to it). Minor compared to Matt's issue. Still, preventable.

Take care,
Chuck

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Chris, I agree with you that it sounded a little different. It was just something I never really thought about until you mentioned it. I'll have to go pop in the Empire DVD to listen to it again.

Vince Antrim

Agent
Ok, I've had 2 weeks of reading to catch up on. My hard drive crashed about an hour into my last final before graduating Indiana State, and just got everything back up and working. Anyways, I thought the movie was great! Would have liked to see the lightsaber scenes shot from more of a distance, kind of like TPM, but that's just me. Vader's first steps after the transformation? Perfect. I agree with what's been said. If you get prosthetics, you're not just going to jump up and be able to walk perfectly. It worked for me. Padme and Anakin staring across the city was very powerful as well. There were a few spots where I think things could have been drawn out a little more, but overall the movie rates high on my list. R2D2 was awesome! Off to an interview, then I'll be heading back to the theater to watch it again.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks