What's new

*** Official "STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree 100% with Dan. Attack of the Clones is my favorite Star Wars movie. I was completely taken back by how much I liked this film...as I wasn't even excited about it until a month ago.
First let me talk about the good. The first thing that pops up in my mind is the fact that they acting seemed genuine this time around. I marginally liked Episode I, but I always felt that Neeson, McGregor, and Portman seemed to be doing lines instead of acting. However, in Episode II, I got the feel that Lucas gave the actors more freedom do actually "act" ... because of this, McGregor shines as Obi-Wan. I was also blown away by Hayden's performance. I had been ragging on this guy for about 6 months, but he proved me wrong...and while he was shakey part of the time (fire-side chat), it didn't have an impact on his overall performance. In fact, when I compare he performance to Mark Hammil's in ESB...I'm gonna have to go with Hayden. I also must say that I loved Sam Jackson in E2. I had a problem with him in E1, because he didn't come off cool enough, but this one was an entirely different story.
Secondly, I loved the humor. How can you beat the Deathstick Scene :). I love the way the film parodied the OT. "You're going to be the death of me" ...etc.
Did anyone say Deathstar? I felt a tremendous smile come across my face when I saw the plans to that "Technological Terror." This plays into the films strenth of shortening the gap between the OT and the PT.
Yoda, Yoda, Yoda. When I heard about our little friend wielding a lightsaber, I was worried that it would look stupid. It was far from it...I must say that nothing got me jazzed more than Yoda busting out the proverbial "can of whoopass."
Another little thing that I liked was the cut when Anakin was slaugtering the Tuskens. I thought it was a damn fine editing job.
Okay...now let me talk about what I didn't like. First thing that jumps out are the death scenes. Wow, I almost laughed when Shmi died. Those three scenes (the beginning Dorme scene, the Zam scene, and the Shmi scene) too me out of the movie for a second.
Aside from that, it was just little things:
-A couple of C-3PO lines
-Boba Fett (damn kids :))
-Part of the Kamino scene bored me
This is just a rough review, as I haven't had the time to completely gather my thoughts yet, but I will soon enough young Padawans.
Overall: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
I still think ESB is the best Star Wars film...but AOTC is definitely my favorite!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
My review: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Even in the heavily spoiled state I was when the title crawl swept over the starry backdrop, there were still plenty enough Lucas & Co. held back to keep me intrigued.
The action set-pieces are top-notch. Lucas does an excellent job of spacing them out and moving them along.
The acting is, in my opinion, a bit up and down but overall quite solid. The romance plot-line was about what I expected. It's a bit over the top for me but it doesn't slow things down too much and it is necessary. While I prefer the understated, witty romance between Hand Leia, this romance didn't send me into convulsions from sap. I also have to remember that Han and Leia had two movies to build up to their climactic confession while Annakin and Padme have only one film.
While Clones certainly lives up to its billing in the breadth and expanse of its action pieces and plot movement, it doesn't quite have the energy and spirit of Empire Strikes Back. It is leagues ahead of the Phantom Menace.
One note: there were some shots that looked extremely fuzzy and indistinct, as if, for moments, I was watching the film through a rabbit ear UHF antenna. It was much more apparent in some of the backgrounds than the fore. It was so obvious to me that the first time I saw it, I literally recoiled. I could only think that this is perhaps what Ebert was referring to about the print he saw. I'm going to see the film again tonight at a different theater so, hopefully , it will be just an issue local to that theater.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just got back from seeing the 12:30 PM showing. My thoughts? Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!!!! After it was over my brother and I looked at each other and said "we've gotta see this a lot more times!" Everything felt right. Thanks George for wiping the taste of Episode 1 from my mouth.
:star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have to go against the norm here.
My problem with the first two prequels has been the fact that the human element is lost on these films. People complain about the love story between Anikan and Padme, and to tell you the truth, that's the best part of the movie!!! It's the only thing that really gets me to care about the two characters.
The thing missing from these last two movies is also the presence of the antagonist. The reason we all loved Episodes 4-6 wasn't as much for Luke, Han and Leia, but for the presence of Darth Vader. Yeah, sure, Harrison Ford had some scene stealing moments and his interaction with Luke was great (much like Anikan's with Kenobi in Episode II), but Darth Vader was a character that overshadowed everything. You hated him, but were fascinated by him at the same time. I like the way Episode II is starting to piece everything together, but I feel that the absence of the arch-super villain role in these two movies makes me care far less about the main characters. Who cares if there is a "separatist" movement? Who cares if there are two sets of clones preparing for war? They need to make the Darth Sinister character (or a henchman like Maul in Episode 1) the kind of character that becomes a thorn in the side of the main trio. They simply haven't done that with these two films.
I like the emergence of the kid Boba Fett. Always loved that character and it was nice to see the story behind how he became a bounty hunter.
I have to say that again I'm disappointed with Episode II. Yeah, it's eye candy for sure...never seen a more visually stimulating movie, there were parts of it I greatly enjoyed, and it's miles better than Episode I, but it's far from a great film.
:star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm a SW fan that loves the OT, and I also loved THE PHANTOM MENACE(flaws and all). I've been excited about this film ever since I saw TPM for the first time, yearning for the continuation of the saga. I've been on several highs-and lows-waiting for this film, either hearing how wonderful it was going to be or how badly Lucas has botched it. So did it deliver for me?

BIG TIME!

ATTACK OF THE CLONES not only captured the magic of STAR WARS, but delivered a finely crafted film with interesting characters and loads of dramatic action. I was expecting to hate the love story-and it's probably my favorite aspect of the film. I loved the anguish of Anakin, not able to control his feelings despite the ramifications of falling in love. Padme's conflict-torn between duty and love-was poignant to me. The love story is full of cliches, but then so is the whole SW Universe. This aspect of the film, to my amazement, gets a big thumbs up from me.

The action sequences and visuals are breathtaking, among the best not only in the SW series but in fantasy film history. I was very pleasantly surprised with all of the performances; I knew that Christopher Lee would be wonderful, and he was. Ewan McGregor is Obi Wan Kenobi. I felt like I was seeing and hearing the same character from the OT. He was perfect, and in full command. Hayden Christensen surprised me alot; he was likable and appealing most of the time, but there were moments when I felt hairs standing on the back of my neck as Christensen unleashed the rage that will ultimately be his downfall. A very textured performance. Natalie Portman also has her moments, and does well in her scenes with Hayden. The oily malevelonce of Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine is palpable; with every scene he becomes more and more the despised Emperor from ROTJ. But the best performance in the film is undoubtedly the voice of Frank Oz, and the special effects Wizards of ILM in their creation of Yoda. This film is Yoda's film, pure and simple. He is the sage who sees clearly that the end of the Republic is near and that the Darkside is going to eclipse the galaxy, and he's an action hero par excellence in what may be the single finest moment in any SW film. The audience cheered with delight at this pivotal moment, a landmark in special effects and fantasy film making.

I have tickets to see this again tommorow night, and I can't wait. Two friends I saw it with also loved it, and we can't wait for EPISODE III.

**** out of ****

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is AWESOME!! It's what Star Wars is all about. At least for me, I enjoyed the originals because of the great story line. AOTC does a fantastic job of tying things together. You can see how Anakin starts turning to the dark side, and how much he relates to Luke in ANH. There are many symbolic correlations in AOTC to the original trilogy. AOTC is very similar to ESB. There's a cliffhanger ending that sets up the next movie. I understand now what Lucas means when he said u have to watch all 6 movies to understand the whole series. People complain about how there isnt much character development. the only characters we cared about in the OT was Luke, Han, Leia and Vader. In the prequels, the only characters that need thorough development is Anakin, Obi wan and Amidala. Aotc did a fantastic job of developing all these characters.
What I really enjoyed:
Yoda's fight scene
Symbolic correlations to OT
Tension between Anakin and Obi wan
obi wan/anakin vs dooku
Development of Anakin is fantastic
What I didn't like:
Some of the dialogue in the love scenes were terrible
It was a little slow the first hour
This is a great movie. Much better than TPM. It's not perfect, but what Star wars movie was, let alone any movie.
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I give AOTC a big ol' :emoji_thumbsup: While I was a fan of Episode One, this one felt a lot more like the original trilogy.
I saw it at a midnite screening, and I really enjoyed the crowd I was with. A bunch of Star Wars fans at midnite. You could cut the electricity with a knife! (To use an old Gorilla Monsoon cliche.)
My own favorite scenes:
Yoda's lightsaber battle. He looked like Jackie Chan out there!
Also, seeing Mace Windu decapitate Jango Fett. I got all tingly when that happened.
I know I'll see it again this weekend, and probably again after that.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
While I thought the cgi and action scenes were brilliant at times, these still did not absolve the sins of this film - haphazard story, terribly slow pacing, and poor acting.

However, I am torn...the final, jedi battle and saber fight were worth the price of admission. I just wish there was a much coherent story with better pacing in the first hour. Is so, this movie would be the pinnacle.

Nevertheless, this is an exercise of scintillating, spectaclular special effects. Along with the fight sequences at the end, the speeder chase was gut-gripping...the filmmakers conveyed a real sense of harrowing, torqued speed. Fantastic stuff.

It's definitely worth a watch on the big screen...and I'll be getting this one on dvd. Watch it for what it is - spectacular fun, a quasi-roller coaster ride. If they could've extrapolated this fun throughout the entire film, or greatly improved the story and acting,...I guess I'll be looking for this in the final installment.

2.5 out of 4

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Before watching AOTC, I was leery about the negative reviews about the love story and Hayden Christensen's acting ability. I'm happy to say that both were not nearly as bad as people have said. The love story is a bit sappy, but is on par with the romance in Empire, though it is a greater presence. Christensen does a suprisingly good job of playing Anakin Skywalker, an individual at war with himself, between his obligations as a Jedi, and his personal desires. Natalie Portman was okay, better than TPM, but nothing out of the ordinary. Ewen Mc Gregor was the best actor in AOTC. Simply put, he IS Obi-Wan Kenobi.
AOTC is the longest SW film, but the pace is so crisp you hardly feel like any time past by. It does a good job bridging TPM with the OT (we see how the Trade Federation fits into how the Empire rises). And the final half hour is worth the price of admission. Attacking clones, Jedi, battle droids, lightsaber duels: whew! If there is one negative, there's just so much going on in the final battle, you might miss some of the action.
All in all an excellent summer blockbuster and a worthy addition to the SW saga, though not quite in same league as ANH and ESB.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:
I saw a DLP presentation, but I do plan to watch a film version to see the difference between the 2 formats.

What can I say but :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
This movie was simply great. I thought the story was interesting and the set for owens home was FANTASTIC. It's exactly like the one in a new hope. The yoda/dooku scene was a pure crowd pleaser man I cant wait to see it again.
:star: :star: :star: :star:/:star: :star: :star: :star:

Scott F

Auditioning
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I saw it on DLP. The movie was incredible! Actually I have a funny stry about the movie. Half way throught the movie the theaters fire alarm went off :angry: ! The movie went off and the houselights came on. NOT A SINGLE SOLITARY SOUL MOVED FROM THEIR SEAT! Not until "officials" came and said that the fire dept will not let anything resume until you are evacuated from the premises. Yes people were ticked, I thought some of the "dress ups" (people dressed like characters) were going to revolt! 25 minutes later and thanks to DLP we picked up right where we left off :D ! They also gave us free movie passes :D I will see it again in DLP on the house!
Can't wait for the third and final :frowning: episode.
Scott F

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:
I thought it was pretty good. I thought it would have been a bit better. :frowning: Still, it was much better than Episode I (and I am a HUGE Star Wars fan).
I thought the first 30-45 min. of the movie was a bit too slow. But, it does pick up after that. Overall, the movie has a good plot and I really like Hayden and Anakin, as well as Jackson, Portman, McGregor, and Lee - he was very good as Dooku. I think this movie as the best CGI I have ever seen.
However, something was missing from this film - as with Episode I - and I think it's the "character attachment" for lack of better words. I mean you were able to feel it with the originals, but not with these. Is it because I am 30 years old now, instead of 5, 8, or 11 yrs old when I first saw the originals?
Also, while the musical score was good, I felt it lacked the dramatic punch some of the action or more suspenseful scenes needed. Overall, I even thought Phantom Menace had a better score, as well as the originals.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My question is why, after 26 years can no one seem to spell Anakin correctly? :)
A-N-A-K-I-N :)
My question is out of those who hated AOTC, how many of you LIKE Kurosawa movies?
AOTC, more than any other SW movie, is a Kurosawa film set in space, with a Star Wars twist.
Japanese actors (heck, Japanese in general) tend to keep their emotions in check, and since Americans are quite boisterous by comparison people call them "wooden". True, Lucas is NOT a good director of actors, but if you keep in mind the look and style he was going for, you'll appriciate the performances on screen much more.

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back, and like many I'm suffering from mixed emotions. I think the biggest issue for me is that I feel there was such a tremendous story and movie "out there", but Lucas only managed to capture a fraction of it. For the first hour of the movie, I thought I was listening to a high school production based on the dialogue. I don't have a big problem with corny lines, but the delivery felt way too forced. The love scenes gradually improved, but the meadow scene was brutal to watch. Oh well, I'll see it again over the weekend and hope for a better outcome.

I definetly think Lucas is much better off starting with action (ANH, ESB) instead of dialogue.

One question...

Why was ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC all caps in the initial text? It just threw me out of the flow immediately.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm a high school teacher, I thought grades would be appropriate. For the record:
ANH - A
ESB - A+
ROTJ - B-
TPM - C
AOTC - B
Here's why: Mostly superior action sequences and CGI, amazing, panoramic vistas, great art direction and costumes, and the acting was far better than I had been led to believe.
Problems: Far too much exposition in the first hour, a lack of believable chemistry between the two lovebirds (especially when compared to Han and Leia), and the script was awkward in places. Still, I think the film will improve for me upon repeated viewings. By all means, check it out! :emoji_thumbsup:

Kip L

Auditioning
Just got back and I will say this: I don't think I've even felt/heard deep bass like this in a theater before.

Also, this is so good you will want to take Episode 1 to the back to the store because you think the story is defective:>)

World's better IMHO although certainly still short of "The Empire Strikes Back" which is virtually untouchable.

Must suck to be Anakin because:

He is the only person I know of that gets his arm cut off twice in a lifetime!!

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I'll keep this short and sweet, and say that the love story made the movie more human and enjoyable. When I saw Anakin & Padme together I wasnt thinking of it as a love story in a galaxy far far away, it felt like it was here on earth. The CGI, fights, and story points were fabulous. Yoda and the younglins, the kaminos, the zam chase, obi-wans detective work, count dooku, jango fett, the arena battle, and most importantly, the love story made this the best Star Wars movie ever.
Also I thought that it didnt seem like a PG movie. It had a much more mature tone. Thats one of the things that I didnt expect, and I am happy because of it.
This is a :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: movie. :)

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I indeed loved the movie for many of the already mentioned reasons. I am writing this reply because of what I consider a serious technical problem with the film. The problem of a
FUZZY looking middle and background!
I have now seen the film TWICE, and I experienced this out of focus problem at both screenings, at two DIFFERENT cinemas.
I found this to be a major distraction, as did many people in the audience. From the reviews coming in here, it looks like other people have had similiar problems. Some people, on the other hand, did not see this "problem" with the print. Although the majority of reviewers commenting on the picture quality are indeed seeing what I am.
Here are some comments from previous posters:
Jeffrey Forner
However, I may have to agree with Roger Ebert about the quality of the image. Often times, the picture looked fuzzy, without much detail. When I see the film again, I will want to see it at a different theater, just in case there was a problem with the one in Apple Valley.
Kevin Coleman
I was however dissapointed in the picture quality. The lack of resolution that resulted from videotaping this digitally was readily apparent. Especially on distance shots.
Matt Stryker
Film presentation looked like absolute crap. Huge scaling artifacts (blockiness in dark scenes, sound familiar?), poor blacks, and an overall murky look.
Richard Harvey
I saw this on a DLP screen, and although the picture itself was rock solid and free from scratches or blemishes, there were many times I could clearly see the pixelization on the screen. I'm curious how this translates in theaters with traditional print film.
Todd Terwillinger
One note: there were some shots that looked extremely fuzzy and indistinct, as if, for moments, I was watching the film through a rabbit ear UHF antenna. It was much more apparent in some of the backgrounds than the fore. It was so obvious to me that the first time I saw it, I literally recoiled. I could only think that this is perhaps what Ebert was referring to about the print he saw. I'm going to see the film again tonight at a different theater so, hopefully , it will be just an issue local to that theater.
I think Todd sums up my take on the problem. The very close shots looked normal (in focus), while MANY MANY of the middle ground shots were fuzzy, when you expect them to be in focus. The shots in Palpaltine's office with the Jedi seemed to be particually bad.
Like I've said, I loved the movie! 5 STARS! :D But this FUZZY issue needs to be addressed. Going to another theater did not solve the problem, nor did brining the issue to the attention of the cinema employees.
I am dying for an explanation. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks