What's new

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) (1 Viewer)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I don't know if I'd say Luke whines thorughout Dagobah. He's definately impatient and complains a lot, but that fits his character.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
On a separate note, I will see my first digitally projected film tomorrow. Northern Virginia finally got one DLP screen right outside the beltway, so I bought one lonely ticket (the wife can only handle the midnight show, and she'll be at work). I look forward to the film in both formats. Good to see that we are catching up here in DC :D
Take care,
Chuck

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I'd blame Yoda for Anakin's training more than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan 'graduates' from Jedi apprenticeship and then in the same 5 minutes takes on an apprentice? No way Yoda should have allowed that. 'Agree with you the counsil does, your apprentice Skywalker will be' was a bad call.
True enough, but in the OT, Obi-Wan does blame himself...
"I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda...I was wrong..."
Maybe it's an issue of Obi-Wan having pride and not being able to admit to the Council that he's not ready / can't control Anakin.
Hopefully this will be explained in Ep. III.... hopefully, it's not one of those "certain point of view" things... :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There's evidence of Obi Wan's bad teachings in EpII. Again it's one of many elements of the 6 movies you won't really see til one can stand back and watch all six together.

Dan

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'd blame Yoda for Anakin's training more than Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan 'graduates' from Jedi apprenticeship and then in the same 5 minutes takes on an apprentice? No way Yoda should have allowed that. 'Agree with you the counsil does, your apprentice Skywalker will be' was a bad call.
Actually, I'd put the blame on Qui-Gon. If he hadn't made Obi-Wan honor his dying wish to "train the boy" none of this would have happened. If Qui-Gon survived, who knows what would have happened.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I guess the C. Lee Light Saber fight scenes worked ok, I haven't heard any complaints. I remember the complaints that some felt Lee was to old for the part.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
From the Washington Post's review:
And then it's over. And not an eon too early. And now, for at least three blessed years, peace.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002May14.html
What the F*** do these reviewers have against SW? At times some of these reviews seem like personal attacks. I don't think that this guy truly liked anything about AOTC. Give me a break! That last comment, at least to me, seems to indicate that this guy can't wait for the SW movies to be over so they won't annoy him any further.

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
I couldn't help but chuckle a little at this overly critical Washington Post review. Stephen Hunter mixes criticism with such good humor that I can't really hate him. Calling Hayden Christensen the "N'Sync Kid" almost made me laugh out loud here at work. As harsh as this review was he echoed my sentiments about the difference between the characters in this movie and the OT.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, it does seem that many critics are critiquing Star Wars in general and not so much AOTC. It would be nice to see them review the film and not the saga, the prior episode, or the presentation.

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I'd say Luke whines thorughout Dagobah. He's definately impatient and complains a lot, but that fits his character.
You'll notice this is true with his father in EP2 :D I just saw the employee sneek last night and I must say I absolutly loved every single minute of it. Its very funny, IMO and Hayden did a great job (which I was kinda curious about). Some of the conversations between obi-wan and Anakin are great (as with ones between 3po and R2!)
Again, I just loved the movie. I can safely say Lucas 'redeemed' himself ;) EP1 was not a "bad" movie, but there were many things I didn't like about it. Though, it do like it more now that I can make more connections.
I have even more questions now though.... I really want to see it again :)

todd stone

Screenwriter
George, hire a real director and good writers for the next installment, please."

-- Robin Clifford, REELING REVIEWS

OUCH!

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the PT characters are lackluster compared to the OT lot, but I wouldn't completely discount the "filler" between action sequences. In Episode II, at least, there is an interesting story going on.

But again regarding the characters, I thought the biggest shame in TPM was the lack of interaction between them. Qui-Gon was really the only one who interacted with all the main characters, though he has only a few brief exchnages with Padme. The others are all way too disconnected from one another. They appear in many scenes together, but most are "meeting" scenes where everyone seems to be standing around in formal conference.

The most glaring example was Anakin and Obi-Wan, who literally only had one brief exchange. Obi-Wan and Padme had none. Padme and Anakin's few brief scenes were perfunctory and did nothing to establish a relationship simply because so little time and words passed between them. The one scene where she claims that her "caring for him would remain unchanged," was laughable because we had seen no evidence of this "caring". In fact, the only character who really interacts on a personal level with Padme is Palpatine. She places her trust in him, and by Episode II he is like a father figure to her. It'll be very interesting in Episode III to see how Padme reacts to his betrayal, and any guilt she has about helping him.

Unfortunately a scene was cut in the Senate where Palpatine announces Padme's death to the Senate with tears in his eyes. This would have been great to see. Hopefully it'll be on the DVD

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
George, hire a real director and good writers for the next installment, please."

-- Robin Clifford, REELING REVIEWS
Although that I liked very much AOTC, that’s what I wanted to say also. Only the director. Find another director for Episode III.

Well, since the topic is Qui-Gon`s death, I will use this opportunity to call the genius who named the song on the soundtrack, an idiot. Im sure you all know what I am talking about. But I knew someone had to die anyways. GL stated that there would be several resonances between the films, and much like Obi-Wan in ANH, I had figured that Qui-Gon might bite the bullet. I wasnt exactly sad however, but I did like his character. In fact, he was probably my favorite character from TPM (although that isnt saying much)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, since the topic is Qui-Gon`s death, I will use this opportunity to call the genius who named the song on the soundtrack, an idiot.
I agree with one of Matthew's many, many, many negative statements about SW? Alert the media ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind Lucas as a director (though maybe he should get an acting coach to prep the actors and work on their preformances), I think he should get script help on the next one. Like Episode I, but have Lawerence Kasdan do the re-write.

He was interviewed recently, and said the reason he turned down Episode I was that the film was set to shoot in a week at the time the offer was thrown out there.

He also noted that while Lucas concentrates on the broad themes and mythological elements when he writes, he concentrates on the character moments. A Lucas/Kasdan script would therefore be the best of both worlds.

Not "many, many, many" In fact, I dont have much to say thats too negative. Hell, I even liked Jar-Jar. I like ANH, and ESb quite a bit, think RotJ is OK, and well,....TPM kinda stinks. Ok, it really stinks. I just dont have high hopes for AotC - after reading the script, and the book, I just wasnt looking forward to it too much. Other than that - notta.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Well, I won't be seeing AOTC until tommorow morning at 11:45. I'm going to stop reading this thread and stuff at TF.n so I can go into the movie "fresh"(as if that's really possible after looking at every spoiler,reading the comic book, the script and the novel and listening to the soundtrack a hundred times!;) )
Anyway, enjoy the movie, everyone!:)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Just a few of the overwhelmingly positive, and even rave reviews for AOTC that came out today.

Salt Lake Tribune - 3 1/2 out of 4

St. Paul Pioneer Press Newspaper - 3/4

Las Vegas Sun - 3 1/2 out of 4

Orlando Sentinel - 4/5

Daily Oklahoman Newspaper - 4/4

Charlotte Observer - "Star Wars sizzles and regains it's lost footing."

St. Louis Dispatch - 3/4

CNN Reviewer - Paul Clinton - very positive

CNN Reviewer - Paul Tatara - mixed/positive

Kalamazoo Gazette

Gannett News Service - Marshall Fine - 5/5

Houston Chronicle - Grade: A

Jeffrey Lyons - A complete shock. Not a Star Wars fan.

USA Today

CNN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks