What's new

*** Official 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones' DVD Announcement/Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I too think the original artwork should be used. If not on the box itself, then put it inside. Kind of makes me wish I'd gotten the poster cover of the CD.

As for the musical cues (see above posts), it was a nice thought. Knowing Georgie boy, that will be a Special Edition addition in 10 to 20 years.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I never could figure out why Lucas started changing the cover-art with the Episode 1 VHS...the poster art is great, and doesn't need to be replaced.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I am only gone for a couple of hours and come back to a great discussion about John William's music cues and the edits. I would have liked to see a documentary type on this disc, oh well, I guess they are saving it for Ep III perhaps
keep it going
:D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I like the DVD cover art quite a bit :)
And for those who prefer the poster art, remember that dvdcoverart.net will probably have a custom cover, much like the one they have for TPM, which uses the original poster art :)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. November is going to be a great month for DVD. Spider-Man on the 1st, birthday for me on the 2nd, and then the 12th with LOTR and Star Wars. Heck, Bond and ET are coming as well plus the new Bond flick Die Another Day. How could it get any better: release a Laserdisc of AOTC so I can be consistent with my collection! I may get the VHS too just for that reason because I own all the Star Wars films on VHS as well.

Aaron Garman

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Anyone else notice that both the Phantom Menace and AOTC DVD covers only feature heroes? No villians whatsoever. Weird.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I like the cover art. The only thing that has me off is that overused image of Yoda with the odd expression. The theatrical poster is great (though I always thought Anakin looked a bit too shiny), but the cover art is in theme with Episode I's, and pretty spiffy looking IMO.
Wasn't 'The Beginning' billed as a full-length documentary? And that wasn't a whole hour, more like 45 minutes. Still, I wouldn't bet against your estimates... they seem to be in the right ballpark to me.
Actually, "The Beginning" was over an hour. Clocking in at 66 minutes and 14 seconds.;)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone else notice that both the Phantom Menace and AOTC DVD covers only feature heroes? No villians whatsoever. Weird.
Lucasfilm'll have a hard time coming up with artwork when it comes to Empire Strikes Back then.:D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Wow,what a nice thread to come home to after work! I'm thrilled that the transfer will be sourced directly from digital, it should look absolutely amazing.

One thing I wanted to comment on regarding the music:
There's one bit where Anakin does something in the factor and YODAs theme from later when he holds that structure from falling on Obi and Anakin is used. YODAS theme!!!!
I agree that the cutting and pasting of cues was problematic and very distracting the first time I saw the film, but the use of Yoda's theme at this point didn't bother me in the least. In ESB, Yoda's theme was used during the escape from Bespin("Luke...it's a trap!") when Yoda wasn't around, but the music reminded us of his presence and his warning to Luke. And at the beginning of AOTC, Anakin arrogantly says that he thinks he is as good a swordsman as Yoda, and we hear the music during the factory sequence as Anakin brandishes his lightsaber, perhaps imagining himself as great as Yoda as he does this. So the music can make sense thematically if you want it to. But I would love to hear the original music that Williams wrote for these sequences, back in the film where they belong. Probably for the super duper deluxe edition in '06.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Thanks for pointing this site out. Quite nice. The new cover art is fine, but that is really weird, not putting any villains on them. Think we'll get to see a traditional Vader face in the background for Episode III's artwork?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the case resembles the wider, 2-disc case that Fox uses for their 5-star editions. Can't conclusively tell, but it looks like that.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
By definition, a documentary has to be longer than 5 or 10 minutes.
So if its 7 minutes its a documentary?

Anyway, I would call "The Beginning" my favorite DVD extra of all time and this better have something comperable. I prefer one documentary(with chapter stops) on all my discs instead of having to watch 30 2 minute docs that are in different menus.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
All I know is that I'm not happy to see Lucas have a FS AOTC.
But...
I'll have the WS DVD on day 1!
Or sooner , if at all possible :)
Calvin

Brett C

Second Unit
Another release that Would sound better in DTS that doesn't get it.I could care less about extras,thats my personal opinion. I'm more interested in the presentation itself and there is simply no reason why A DTS track couldn't be included with the extras being put on the second disc.And I nether personally bought that lame excuse about Phantom menace not having the track to save for video bitspace.Does that mean if it had the DTS it would of been unwatchable? Cause they managed to stuff up the video anyway.Ive got DVD's of films that had 1/10 of the budget that Phantom Menace had and look vastly superior on the video front.And its MY OPINION that the only reason Phantom Menace was solely Dolby Digital EX on DVD is because the format was made specially for that film.So the DVD was mean't to be a showcase for that format alone...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Have you heard this hypothetical DTS track you're complaining about? No, because it doesn't exist. How, then, do you know that it would have sounded better?

Brett C

Second Unit
Because IF given the choice I will always take the DTS track,I'm not getting into another DTS vs.Dolby debate because its very much a lost cause.You have your opinion and I have mine. But to MY ears no matter how subtle the difference is there is still always an improvement in fidelity.And aggressive mixes benefit the most,I mean look at any aggressive mix on DVD is someone sensibly going to say they prefer the DD over the DTS on tracks like Saving Private Ryan and The Haunting??? And These new star Wars tracks are just as aggressive as these movies so your going to tell me there wouldn't be an improvement???

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks