What's new

Spider-Man (2002) (1 Viewer)

Robin Warren

Second Unit
8 Pm tonight. WOO HOO Cannot wait for this movie. Just listened to mp3 of the Stern show with Tobey. They were just raving about the movie...now normally I laugh at Sterns thoughts on movies but for some reason this got me really excited.

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I just saw the 1:15 show, and I loved it. I was heavy into Spider-Man for many years, and this movie felt just like the comic books to me. Everyone involved did a great job.

I don't know when I've been more satisfied with a movie.

-Andy

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Just got back and I have to say I loved it. It really came through well, especially the whole "teenager thrown into an amazing situation" aspect of it. That tended to get lost in the cartoon versions.

I also loved the Bruce Campbell cameo.

I'll definitely be seeing this at least a couple more times before AOTC comes out in a few weeks.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I cant go tonight but i did order my Tickets for the first show tommorow over moviefone.com :) I cant wait. Between Spiderman, AOTC, ST:Nemisis and Two towers coming later this year it looks to be my favorite year at the movies

capt

GaryBrown

Grip
I agree with everyone else here that this movie kicks butt!!!! I saw the 11:30 showing in DTS!! The movie does a great job in building the characters to make them convincing. The casting was done very well with Tobey, Kirsten and Willem.

I can't believe that Ebert would review this movie the way he did and especially to rate it no better than the Scorpian King. He really has lost it!

Go and treat yourself this weekend by seeing this movie. You will not be disappointed. I can't hardly wait to go see this again tomorrow with another friend. I'm also looking forward to Attack of the Clones. My friend and I got our tickets today!

greg_t

Screenwriter
Agreed, I saw it today and thought it was fantastic. Very quick moving, never dull, and has some good comedy bits. Well worth seeing.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I friggin loved this movie. Let me repeat....I LOVED IT. It was totally entertaining.

Scott, you hit the nail on the head with your analysis. That is exactly what I derived from the ending too.

As far as the CGI goes, there were only a couple scenes where it was totally obvious they were using computer technology. For the most part, I thought it was completely well done and camauflaged.

Horrible movie as I stated in the review thread, just horrible.
How anyone can derive this opinion after watching this great movie is beyond me. This far surpassed all the other super hero movies IMO, including the first Batman and Superman. The only one that even comes close, but is still a distant second is X-Men.

I will see this in the theater a second time definately...possibly a third.

Gary R

Auditioning
***Rosemary and I caught the 11:00 a.m. showing this morning. I hate to see scratchy films and first showings are the cleanest. The theater was almost sold out...amazing cross section of people too. Lots of senior tickets sold, and some kids obviously cut class. I could have done without the jabber jaw 4 year old a few seats down, or the three teenage duds (no, not dudes) sitting behind us that made stupid remarks during the film, or the lady in row in front of us that kept throwing her arms up like doing the wave at a Sacramento Kings home game when things got exciting. (Why I spent tens of thousands of dollars on my home theater!!!!)

***The movie was all I hoped it would be and then some. Oh, some of the dialog is cheesy and I saw a continuity error but I loved the pic! This thing actually has a story line, some good moral values, lots of action, and sets up the sequel in splendid fashion.

***On Roger Ebert, he has lost it and should retire. If I cannot decide if I want to see a movie or not, I just look at his square on Check The Grid. If it is red, I go. If it is green, I stay home.

Gary

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I find it truly disturbing that Roger Ebert considers Tomb Raider a better film than Spider-Man.
Heh. And if we're only comparing comics-based movies, Spawn got 3-1/2 from Ebert, as I recall *shudder*
Anyway, I just got back from seeing Spidey a little while ago and I absolutely loved it. It got more things right than any other comic adaptation and very little wrong :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
scott you are correct about peter trying to protect M.J.

ALSO did i see the world trade center make an appearance? right after the scene with the guy in the subway singing spider-man songs. we get a very close shot of the spidey mask and a very clear reflection looks very much like the twin towers.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
My heart feels good to see so many people loving this film. It's ok to poo poo it (especially if you have reasons but thread farting always stinks) but it looks like for the most part the majority of people real like if not love it. I have a feeling a lot of SW fans really don't want to like it or have it succeed.. which is sad.
As for the crazy "professional" critic. Screw him. I haven't listened to him in years. He has been out of touch for so long it's a wonder he is still a critic. Was it him who thought Parker was rejecting MJ? If it was he's a damn fool. As previously pointed out he was protecting her. Even my 13-year-old daughter had no problem following that. It's so obvious, "everyone he loves dies" "I will always, always be there for you" "It's all I can give". I wonder how many people know in the comics her full name is Mary Jane Watson-Parker :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
o and don't forget to stay all the way to the end of the credits for i nice audio surprise.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Just got back from it.....and I have to admit that while I was pleased overall, I was also disappointed. With the great actors, and Sam "The Man" Raimi on board, this could have been the best comic film ever. Unfortunately, the script (actually the second half of the script) hurts it. The first half was great, and very faithful to the source....just excellent character development. The Goblin/Norman was WAAAAAY too one dimensional. They gave him no motive to go after Spidey, and the meat of the relationship between Harry and Norman was pretty much ignored aside from a couple of scenes. The critics are ripping Dafoe, but he had absolutely nothing to work with.

I am one of the few who really dug the Goblin costume, but only being able to see Dafoe's eyes (and his mouth in shadow occasionally)really hurt things on the villain end. And I guess the same mystery seamstress who made the Spidey costume also made the Goblin's helmet. My other beef was with the CGI. ILM and Lucas can do a satisfactory job blending live and CGI characters...this flick's digital fx men are just not there yet. Say what you want about Jar Jar, but he blended in pretty seamlessly in Episode 1, whereas Goblin in his Glider do not in this film. I am hoping these criticisms don't detract anyone from seeing it, as it is worth the price of admission, but I wouldn't go in with the "best comic film ever" hyperbole from the net lurking in the back of your mind. The greatest accomplishment this film has is that it makes you care as much for the hero (if not more so) than you do for the villain, thanks to the beginning's great performances and a very well written and directed first act. In the orignal Superman, and the first three Batman flicks, you were hoping the endlessly likable Hackman would thwart Supes, and that either Nicholson, Walken, DeVito, or Carrey would get the best of Batman. Here, you genuinely care about and like Peter Parker, and despite the script totally dropping the ball on Norman/Goblin, that is a real accomplishment for this type of film. Maguire just owns the role. Well, enough ranting...I dunno if I will see this is the theater again, what with The Salton Sea and Episode 2 coming up, but I will be getting the DVD. Here's hoping that when Spidey 2 hits the screen in 2004, it won't have David "I Suck At Writing Big Summer Movies" Koepp's name on the screenplay, and they actually give a great actor the oppotunity to chew up scenery as the villain (signs point to Doc Ock). Comic fans, rejoice, this flick does a lot of things right, and we have Daredevil and Hulk on the way if you were disappointed.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Wow people really liked this movie...well so did I.

It was a great two hours at the movies. The FX were perfect for me. If you want to nitpick em go ahead but story is what makes this movie click. Gotta love the Macho Man Randy Savage.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've posted my review in the proper thread if anyone would like to take a look. I think this is one of the sloppiest reviews I've written in a while, and I wanted to include about 5 more paragraphs on various aspects of the movie, but I'll just chalk it up to a "fan's review" as opposed to my more traditional "critic's review". :)
A few things I noticed:
When Peter says "Dr. Connors fired me", could this be a reference to Dr. Curtis Connors (aka Lizard)? Based on what Ms. Dunst said in an interview, the next Spidey flick will feature both Dr. Octopus and Lizard. :)
I also thought that the soldier inside the suit was a reference to another comic-book character, but since the Goblin blew him to smithereens...I'm guessing that's not the case.
Anyone else notice any references like these?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was wondering about the general too...his name sounded familiar to me.... Also, while I didn't catch it myself, I've read that Jonah apparently has a picture of his son, John, in his office, wearing his Air Force uniform. I need to look out for that next time I see it

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
correct me if im wrong.. but wasn't the bald guy in the wheelchair on osborn's board of directors the vulture? and if so then they took him COMPLETELY out of the running as a villian in future films.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
TonyD: IN a spoiler tag...what was the VERY end surprise??? My kids wanted to get out after the movie was over 'cause it was after 7 and they had not eaten yet.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just came back from watching Spider-Man, I though it was a solid, fun popcorn flick. The crowd I saw it with was pretty enthusiastic, laughing and cheering at appropriate times.

A few things I noticed:

Bruce Campbell as the wrestling MC. Sweet!

Supposedly, every Sam Raimi film features his beat up Olds. Anyone catch it in Spider-Man?

And finally, I thought the end set up the sequel with Harry taking up the Green Goblin's mask and his hatred of Spidey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks