What's new

*** Official SPIDER-MAN 2 Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
As far as superhero films, it feels like it doesn't get any better than this. I was floored at the nearly flawless blend and execution of character development, comedy, and action.

I really liked the fact that the characters were the focus of the film, which makes the whole experience more believable and personal. The action scenes felt transparent - in a good way in that they felt natural and followed the course of the film as a whole. A lot of action films these days seem to be built around the action sets, and everything else is just filler. Not so for Spider-Man 2.

Amazing. As someone who became really choosy as to what to buy on DVD - this is one movie I must own. I might even watch it again in the theater.

:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star:

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Chuck I agree about the

William Dafoe cameo, that was unexpected and perfectly performed. I still wish he would hav been in makeup instead of a silly power ranger suit and mask. He facial features and the expressions in that scene were nailed Green Goblin PERFECT!

And the Alex Ross paintings at the begining were nice. They show in those few panels why movies cannot duplicate the emotion and excitement a few panels in a comic book can.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man 2 exists in a world of its own – in the comic book film genre. It is at this level and setting that this film succeeds in many ways. The conflicted superhero, a love interest, a multidimensional supercharged villain where the science really doesn’t matter as much as the actual good vs. evil encounters themselves and brilliantly executed visual effects all contribute to an exciting movie-going experience.

Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle sums it up best when he wrote: “(Director Sam) Raimi -- with the indispensable collaboration of screenwriter Alan Sargent and story writers Alfred Gough, Miles Millar and Michael Chabon -- has succeeded in making what Ang Lee tried to make with "Hulk," a thinking person's comic-book movie. Raimi and his writers succeed by realizing that the thinking has to be comic-book thinking and the crises have to be comic-book crises.”

For me, Superman with Christopher Reeve, remains as the greatest comic book film of all time. That film was able to balance story and thrills in a much grander fashion without having to rush the former for the sake of the latter. Here, the quiet moments look a little rushed in advance of the next action sequence so as not to lose that segment of the audience who are more interested in the action than the story.

For the most part, this sequel is a better film than the original both in its creative content and execution. It manages to avoid some the trappings of a formula that other sequels tend to fall into. The personal conflict story of Peter Parker advances in a much better fashion unlike other sequels where the story is just a rehash of the original. Here, the filmmakers are able to exercise their own creativity and cinematic liberties because there are no restrictions imposed upon them to stay within certain boundaries of a novel or a book. As a result, Raimi is able to deliver certain twists and turns in the story making it look fresh and unconventional.

Raimi, Tobey Maguire and company has crafted a comic book film that can be enjoyed for of its depth in story and spectacle. Much like Superman, which appealed to a generation over twenty-five years ago, Spider-Man 2 is this generation’s Superman. This partnership of a good director and a strong lead along with the constant infusion of talented writers, if allowed to continue, should bode well for the series.

~Edwin

Full Disclosure: This writer has an equity position in Marvel Enterprises, Inc.

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
This film is like Van Helsing, which was bad. If you like characters flying around ridiculously like video games then this is your movie. I didn't like the first and I don’t like this much either. Tobey might as well be Screech from Saved by the Bell with a costume on. Like Tom Hanks said he's tired of playing pussies and I'm tired of seeing one as Spiderman. I did like the sound effects, especially when the Doc fired up his invention and the visuals looked good but the story is just like the first with a new villain and it is worn out. I really can't get behind Spiderman as a super hero he’s just too wimpy. I would rather watch Blade or X-men even Superman. Instead of a longer version on DVD let’s pray for a shorter version, let’s cut out his Aunt, untouchable girlfriend, buddy who hates Spiderman and any self-doubt he may show.

D

:thumbsdown:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
:star::star::star:½ (out of four)

A delightful, and enjoyable experience. I think I liked pretty much every moment, only annoyed by a few occurances like the slo mo, white dress run through the park at the end.

That said I don't quite feel this is four stars, not sure why, but I just don't think it's quite that good. I've gotten more picky of late, and while this is a four star bit of comic book film or actioner, it's not quite the insane perfection of Die Hard or Terminator 2. I think I"m slightly put off that it was just a little bit heavy handed at times.

But for the most part a wonderful film that they did a marvelous job with. I think my favorite sequence is Peter and Octavious' interview, though. I wish the rest of the film had maintained that tone and grace--and it almost did. The action sequence on the train was easily the highlight of the film. I think I want to see Spider-man struggle with just a little more darkness though, as though when fighting someone like Dr. Ock, his rage has a fearful and almost uncontrollable way of expressing itself--the way we briefly glimpsed when he really lays into Ock in the end battle. Spider-man fighting the power within himself in the next film would be a really interesting dynamic, especially as he can't blame it on his guilt over his uncle or his frustration with the Mary Jane relationship--since these were resolved by the end of the film.

A fun highlight, and the strongest big budget film of the year, imo.

Adam

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
From the opening credits reprising the first film, to MJ's final pensive look, Spider-Man 2 hits every mark true. I can't imagine a comic book/superhero movie being done any better than this one.

I thought the action, character moments, & humor were all in perfect balance, and paced just right.

The CG was obviously improved from the first film - this time you WILL believe a man can swing! But it wasn't just the CG - the whole film just looked better than the first. The cinematography was beautiful.

Acting - top notch all around. There's nary a false moment to be found anywhere. Maguire & Dunst's scenes together were often heartbreaking.

Director Sam Raimi has come into his own here. The confidence he now has in the material, his cast, and his own talents shines through in every frame. Spider-Man 2 gets a 10/10 from me, and ranks as one of the best pure entertainments of the year. Bring on Spidey 3!!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Best Superhero movie of all time....I left the theatre really caring about these characters.

Acting: A-
Cinematography: A (Loved the Scope ratio for this)
Editing: A- (could have cut a few scenes, or at least trimmed them....the elevator scene comes to mind.)
Action Sequences: A
Villain: B+ (character needed to be expanded more.)
Direction: A
Art Direction/Sets: A
Score: A-

Final Score: A-

First Spiderman Final Score: B-

Jeffrey G

Agent
Absolutely awesome!!! My kids loved it, my wife loved it, and I loved it! The first one was great, but this one was on a whole different level. Excellent movie.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
SPIDER-MAN 2

:star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

A nice followup to SPIDER-MAN, and a good continuation of the story that lays the groundwork for the future. It's clear that Marvel wants their movies to be more like serials than stand-alone films, as both SPIDER-MAN 2 and X2 both provide a nice evening of entertainment but also move the narrative along and build for the future.

Speaking of X2, I think it is still superior to SPIDER-MAN 2 as a sequel. SPIDER-MAN 2 still spends a lot of time building character and plot, while X2 builds a layer of pure action on the foundation of the character depth provided in the first film.

SPIDER-MAN 2 excels in a number of ways. The special effects are probably the most improved aspect over the original. The effects work in SPIDER-MAN 2 deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as ATTACK OF THE CLONES, THE TWO TOWERS, and MATRIX RELOADED. The work here deserves an Oscar next year.

SPIDER-MAN 2 most excels in character and relationships, and the only fault of the movie is that it almost spends a bit too much time here. I would have trimmed about 10 minutes of talking and maybe added another action set piece. Still, the character of Harry Osbourne is written nicely and I can't wait to see what they do with it in the future. Same for MJ and Peter Parker. Aunt May's big speech in the middle is a bit long, though, and I'm not sure if they really know what they want to do with her character.

There are also some nice themes in the movie, i.e. repentance, forgiveness, redemption, using the gifts you have been given. On this note the movie excels also.

All in all, a near-great movie that moves the story along but ultimately is a bit too talky to rank up their with the best comic book movies of all time.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Excellent and entertaining movie. Much better than the first. Can't wait to see it again, and am very excited that Charlie de Lauzirika is doing the DVD.

As good as Part 2 is, it seems they've really got some good stuff to delve into in Part 3. I especialy liked Spidey's line (to you know who), "There's more going on here than just me and you." Awesome, just awesome.

Regards,
Dan

jeff durborow

Auditioning
This movie is brilliant..

I look at it like this. Most people if not all who see this movie have looked through a Spiderman comic book.
When I would read these comics even to look through them at times at the artwork I would never imagine this comic coming to life literally. We have wonderful books that have transpired into wonderful movies. When you create amazing artwork into life like reality and do it as well as it has been done in these two movies it's brilliant.
The story and the artwork have been brought to life.

Sam Raimi opened a Spiderman comic book and brought to life things I thought I could only see in a Spiderman comic book.

Spiderman and Spiderman 2 are the best comic book related movies to date..These are the only movies that have made me twice say "I can't believe they really did it." Part 1 and Part 2 had me saying it during the movie.

nuff said"

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Still enjoy the Xmen movies more, but this was good. Although I'm not enjoying just the one good guy vs one bad as much. I just feel like after you see one fight scene the rest are just replay. I don't like this director, nothing is surprising me or making me think 'damn that was cool'. That's just me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star:

Doesn't mean I thought it was perfect, but it was pretty darned great! From the very cool opening sequence to the villain with a soul, to the intimacy with Parker and his life, to the great payoff in the emotional department, this movie does what The Empire Strikes Back did for Star Wars. It built on the concepts, characters, and emotions of the first film and upped the bar.

I don't normally come back praising movies this much, but I thought Spider-man 2 was not just a great comic-book movie, not just a great sequel, but a great movie in its own right.

Can't wait to see it again in a couple of weeks!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it was one of those rare movies where the follow up is as good as the first, maybe better. I don't think it's best picture material , as Carlos does above, but it's a great Comic Book Action flick.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Took in my 2nd Spiderman 2 viewing this weekend and loved it. Gone from 3.5 stars to :star: :star: :star: :star:

The special effects are great as others have mentioned but I just can't say enough how strong the performances are.

I've really had to fight off some bias toward Maguire. He's been in some movies that I've hated in the past but he's really terrific here as Peter Parker.

As Chris A has stated, the special effects are Oscar worthy. The moment that MJ sees Spiderman for the first time unmasked
ranks up there with some of the most emotionally powerful moments ever for me. Call me a sucker but that moment was a grand slam.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
:star::star::star::star::star:/:star::star::star::star::star:
I own the first installment of this brilliantly thought out franchise in my collection and I must certainly say this sequel excels above and beyond the first, which is saying alot. Raimi and crew absolutely took it upon themselves to make a true sequel which honors the first. Spider-Man/Peter Parker felt much more believable this time around than the first. I could definitely feel that the character felt more mature and more experienced this time around than the first. When Spidey was fighting Doc Ock on the clocktower to save Aunt May, I cheered him on in my seat. I sincerely thought the use of the 2.35:1 ratio was a better choice over the previous 1.85:1 of Spidey 1. This is certainly one of my all-time favorite super-hero films in the past 15 years. I eagerly anticipate the news of the upcoming DVD release of this outstandingly brilliant film.
Ray Rogers

Real Name
Anthony
I enjoyed the film but I did feel it was marred by WAY too many moist-eyed speeches about being a hero and such. I also thought the fusion device subplot was fairly dull ; why do the summer blockbusters ALWAYS have to end up with things being blown apart ? And the constant gags about Peter Parker's bad luck were a bit repetitive.

I think I might enjoy the film more on a second viewing. I've done my best to avoid seeing any footage from this film beforehand but I do find that the trailers, quick as they are, show far too much footage. Now they're available to download and scrutinise, I find that my first viewing of many films is spoiled by me mentally "joining the dots" between the moments I've already glimpsed.

I still don't think there's been a comic-book movie as good as SUPERMAN. Then again, I was twelve when I saw that. I'm having to accept that superheroes don't really do it for me these days. But kids seeing SPIDER-MAN 2 probably think they've died and gone to heaven.

Which is the point, I guess. :)

DanielBH

Agent
Finally made it to see Spider-man 2. I don't know...it was okay, but it just didn't feel right to me. I think I most missed the stylized segways between scenes that the first Spider-man film had. I also felt the Doctor Octopus plot was a bit...off. It would have made much more sense to tie it all into the Spider-Slayer storyline instead of concocting some fusion experiment.

I'm not sure how familiar all forum readers are with the Spider-man mythos, but the Spider-Slayers are robots of varying size and theme that were developed by a Doctor Smyth (bankrolled by J. Jonah Jameson). Some were designed for brute strength...some for survellaince...some specifically to interfere with Spider-man's powers.

In Spider-man 2, they could have introduced this one plot to tie the entire thing together much better. Harry could have been bankrolling the Spider-Slayer program as part of his intense hatred of Spider-man; but the difference is that he first had found Otto Octavius to head the project. Otto however was only taking on the project so that he could have access to the funds and equipment to complete his own work (i.e. fusion). They could have even noted that the arms were sold to Harry as a personal Spider-slayer device (themed to make the wearer a "Spider-man" with eight appendages), but their true intent was to assist the fusion experiments.

From that point, they could have Otto lead up to his main fusion experiment that results in a massive explosion (no actual sun created). Then Otto is left wandering around in an ironic mental fight with the thin veil of programming Otto had implanted just to appease Harry for the funding - the A.I. program specifically designed to hunt and kill Spider-man.

Anyway, I think you see how those simple adjustments would have kept the same characterization and themes in the movie; but it would have deleted the strange mini-sun storyline and tied everything together better. In fact, I believe it would have added even *more* characterization to the film while setting up the next film (where Harry could further follow his father's legacy after finding Smythe to complete the *actual* Spider-Slayer project).

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
great film and this time we get a proper spiderman villain, instead of somthing that wouldn't look out of place on the power rangers. Maybe power rangers could re-use the green goblin costume in one of there movies. And whatever you do, dont play the video game to completion before seeing Spiderman 2, it might not flow exactly like the movie, but it gives u a fair idea of what happens. This is one of the few sequels that is far superior to the original. Why Dr ock wasnt used for the first movie, i don't know cause he was the most well known spiderman villain before either of these movies came out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks