What's new

*** Official SPEED RACER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I just wanted to chime in, and get the thread back up towards the top where it belongs. This movie was a TON of fun, with a surprising amount of heart to it. I took my 4yr old daughter; she was scared of the "mean guys" (as always) and didn't care for the ninjas, but by the end, she was clapping.

This movie will look incredible on Blu Ray (if I don't talk my buddy into seeing it again this week). It deserves to do better because of how out there it is -- it's truly a live cartoon. A few weeks back before it came out, it suddenly hit me what I was fearing the movie would be: The Flintstones. The garish colors, over the top acting, etc., this movie could have been really bad. This movie was original, exhilarating, and moving at all times.

Go see it! If you hate it, I'm sorry. But when you love it, tell your friends.

Doug

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I saw it for the second time in IMAX this weekend. It's every bit as incredible as the first time.

I really loved the family interactions and bonding, written and acted really well. As Edwin mentioned, they feel really natural and genuine to me. I was reminded of the father-and-son moments of Ordinary People. For a movie based on a cartoon, the characters are very real.

I was able to appreciate the head cut outs a lot more this time. There's one point near the start of the final race, when all of these heads started appearing on screen, showing Speed's family all at once; so much visual information packed into little space. And there was the scene where Royalton is talking with the black-haired Japanese man, and the technique added more mystery to the scheme.

Oooh, and the Wachowski's have a great eye for composition. This time, I was reminded of Sergio Leone.

I never mentioned the score before, but it was fabulous.

As for "Freebird" Spritle and Chim-Chim scene, I didn't mind it this time.

This Friday, Kung Fu Panda will be taking over the IMAX screens it seems, so go see this in IMAX if you haven't already.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks