What's new

official specs for Y Tu Mama Tambien R rated 10/22 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/08_09.html
Just in are the full specs for the art house smash Y Tu Mama Tambien, one of the biggest foreign box office hits of all time. Making its way to DVD on 10/22 in R-rated and Unrated versions, the R-rated edition features anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, a Spanish 5.1 surround track, production notes and a trailer. The Unrated version features the anamorphic widescreen version of the movie only, plus an audio commentary with director Alfonso Cuaron and actors Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna, deleted scenes, making-of featurette, the Cuaron short film "Me la Debes," and the trailer. Retail is $26.95 for either version.
a must buy really
:D

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I wouldn't say that just yet. I asked the Blockbuster guy which rating they could be carrying, and he told me their computer listed it as "YRV" or Youth Restriced Viewing, Blockbuster's self applied rating to unrated movies. It's still early, but it could work out OK.
Blockbuster now carries unrated American Pie 2, and soon they'll have unrated Van Wilder and Sweetest Thing. Who knows, maybe they're coming around (they certainly have showed improvement in other areas, most stores carry exclusively OAR when there are dual releases).
Here's hoping for the best as I missed that movie in theaters.:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Interesting. I haven't been in BB for a long while, so I wasn't aware they were loosening up on this issue.

It makes me wonder why MGM is even bothering with an R-rated version. The theatrical release was unrated (at least in the Houston venues). Did anybody see the R-rated version in theaters?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to chime in and say that it's one of the best films that I saw in 2002. I look forward to buying the non-BB verison on DVD soon.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody see the R-rated version in theaters?
The film was only released Unrated to theaters. MGM is releasing the R-rated version to be sold in places like Wal-Mart (and since Blockbuster is carrying unrated versions of Van Wilder and The Sweetest Thing, hopefully they'll carry the unrated version of this).

Will K

Screenwriter
It'll never happen, but in the case of dual versions such as this, I wish studios would put a sticker on the front something like "unrated version also available" or "This R-rated version has been edited for controversial content and is not approved by the filmmakers. Unrated version also available." A friend of mine purchased the R-rated SE of Basic Instinct simply because he wasn't aware of the unrated cut(but I guess he should've been).

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Good job MGM!!! I figured we'd just get a bare bones package. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute- so Blockbastard is carrying 'Unrated' films, but they still won't carry NC-17?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody see the R-rated version in theaters?
Alfonso Cuaron said at the NYFF Q&A that the R-Rated version was basically the trailer. Maybe 20 minutes long with luck :) I think it is safe to say that he doesn't approve of any cuts.

I am super happy about these specs, BTW...

Ted

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Well, it was Ted who pointed me out to this film, and it was the biggest unheralded gem for me...and a damn fine film in its own right.

Nice to see that it'll come replete with some lavish specs. Bestbuy.com just posted this title on its site as a preorder for $22.99. Much like many of their new titles, by the time this dvd hits release date, the price should drop further. Plus, with the $10 digital coupon that so many on this forum took advantage of from the FOTR preorders, it's a can't-miss buy.

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
Hollywood Video, at least where I live, is only carrying the R-rated version. :frowning: And, while that is noted on the cover of the case, the Hollywood sticker was covering it up, so I didn't find out about it until I started playing the disc.
Now, here's the weird part. The censored version ran 154 minutes, and it is so noted on the box. I checked the box for the unrated version a couple of days later, and found its running time was listed as 145 minutes.
In other words, the censored version is 9 minutes longer than the "uncut" version. :confused:
Has anyone seen both versions, so they can report what got taken away and, more to the point, what got added to the censored release?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The unrated version is 1 hour 45 minutes, not 145 as you stated. According to the imdb, the R-rated cut is 5 minutes shorter than the unrated one.

I doubt the R-rated cut is longer, but it is possible (Re-Animator)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the commentary will have subtitles?

My Spanish is way too poor to get much out of it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks