What's new

***Official Soul Caliber II Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
I plan on picking mine up as soon as Best Buy gets them in, but I thought it was strange that no one has started one yet. What gives? Nobody's picking this up :confused: ?

Freddy C.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because the games didn't ship until today, and very few if any stores will have it before tomorrow

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Well, those who care might find it interesting that IGN gave it a pretty good review (XBox - 9.2), and declared the XBox version the winner of the "head to head" challenge.

From IGN's "Closing Comments":
The simple fact of the matter is, Soul Calibur II is best weapons-based fighter out there, period. It's also one of the best games in the fighting genre itself. There's a diverse selection of characters, a deep fighting system, a decent single-player mode, and the multiplayer is as fun as it ever was.

Frederick

Second Unit
Maybe I'm just overly excited about it. I'm picking up the XBox version for myself and the Gamecube version for my son. I'm hoping BB gets them in tommorrow, although I believe the advertisement in the Sunday paper said Thursday.

Freddy C.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I'm picking up my copy (for the PS2) this evening, as soon as I get off work. I'll probably pick up the Gamecube version on Thursday or Friday, depending on which day Circuit City receives their stock.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, every single game I want gives me the same message "It shipped today, not in till tomorrow" :) No Buffy for Jeff today

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
It's good to know people that work at videogame stores :).

My local store got it in at 8:55pm and I was able to buy it. I got the Xbox version for the graphics/sound, and the GC version for Link :D.

The Xbox version kicks ass. OK, so they screwed up the 720p by putting it in 4x3 mode, but the graphics are light years ahead of the PS2 version. The sound is amazing.

I'm floored by the content in this game and I've only played it for 2 hours (complete with a blister on my left thumb). My wife and I have been having fun playing since we haven't played a game like this together in 4 years since we last played SC1.

Mike

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I picked it up earlier this evening, around 5p.m through EB.

I have the X-Box version and I have a slight problem. Turning on the game it showed various lines with a no picture just white lines. Sound was good. My current video settings on the Xbox is that all 3 modes are enabled, then I got the game to work by turning the 720 and 1080 modes off, leaving the other mode on. The game worked fine. I do have a HDTV Widescreen T.V.

This isn't the only game this has happened to me, It also occurred with ESPN's MLB Game.

So far so good, the game is incredible, I just hope I can resolve the resoultion problem

Ray

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Doug: For some reason (processing power?), Soul Calibur 2, and perhaps other HD XBox games, will only display 4:3 for 720p. It was like that on the JPN version too.

Those wankers at Gamestop are telling me its "Backordered"! WTF? I pre-ordered, numbnuts. If they ship it without the free artbook, I'm gonna go all Voldo on their asses.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I should be picking my copy up in about 3.5 hours... I'm just getting the xbox version.

Everything I've read says Link is so sickly overpowered most people ban him from versius play... ;)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
have the X-Box version and I have a slight problem. Turning on the game it showed various lines with a no picture just white lines. Sound was good. My current video settings on the Xbox is that all 3 modes are enabled, then I got the game to work by turning the 720 and 1080 modes off, leaving the other mode on. The game worked fine. I do have a HDTV Widescreen T.V.
Your trouble is that your TV cannot accept a 720p signal. It happened to me on my Sony Wega XBR.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Everything I've read says Link is so sickly overpowered most people ban him from versius play...
I've read import reviews and most people say Spawn is the worst because his attacks are way too damaging. Hardcore fans of the series will tell you none of the exclusive characters do a good job of fitting into the gameplay and that people shouldn't base there purchases on the exclusive character included, but rather which console performs the best overall, which from what I've heard is xbox.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'll have my hands on a copy in just a few minutes.
Thankfully, I've got the import copy, so although I can't read a thing when it comes to story and descriptions, I can at least play the damn game.

Re: Which platform is the best. I've heard that Link is overpowering, but then again Spawn is pretty cheestastic himself (I have the XBox version). Heihachi is a favorite for Tekken fans, but nobody else seems to like him much. Of course, none of the exclusives are allowed in tournament play (when they occur). I personally think Necrid should be excluded too, just for storyline purposes. Technically speaking, the game to get is the XBox version. It has 16:9 480p and 4:3 720p (which does look pretty), as well as DD5.1 sound. Loads are faster and if you have a PS2->XBox adapter (they're cheap online or at any store that carries imports), you can use the PS2 controller or even the Hori stick. Of course, if you're playing on a 32" or less with stereo sound, there's no real difference between the three. Me? I'm playing it on my FP at 106" and in glorious DD5.1, and it's well worth it.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Me? I'm playing it on my FP at 106" and in glorious DD5.1, and it's well worth it.
Wow. Nice. How far do you sit from the screen, if I may ask?

I have a 61" DLP, and I sit anywhere from 8 to 12 feet away. Any closer, and the Picture Quality is less than optimal on all but HDTV resolution. I wish I could get a FP, but room lighting and design does not permit.

EDIT:
Don't mean to hijack the thread. I'll be testing whether I like 50 inches of 4:3 720p goodness, or 61 inces of 16:9 480p goodness.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I've read import reviews and most people say Spawn is the worst because his attacks are way too damaging. Hardcore fans of the series will tell you none of the exclusive characters do a good job of fitting into the gameplay
No surprise here, I don't get a chance to play much with friends, but when we do cheese toons tend to get banned quick :)

I could care less about the added toon... Xbox for DD5.1 and faster load times is enough for me, since my Sony XBR won't do 720p :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks