What's new

Official Sony BDP-S500 Blu-Ray Player Thread (1 Viewer)

CarlTond

Auditioning
I bought this player the first of December but haven't seen a discussion thread for it so thought I'd start one.

For those who haven't noticed, a firmware update was released a couple of weeks ago. It can be found here: esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=BDPS500&LOC=3

Billed as "Improve[ing] BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs," after applying it I found the menu system and content on the second disk of the Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End played correctly.

I look forward to hearing other's experiences with this player.

CarlTond

Auditioning
I tried to talk to as many people as I could prior to buying this deck to determine whether or not it was profile 1.1 compliant or capable of being 1.1 (or higher) compliant with upgrades.

The description of the product in this area is pretty vague "BD-Java Interactive Capability. Blu-ray Disc technology offers the potential of a new level of interactive experiences, with seamless on-screen menus and hi def bonus materials for a more dynamic home theater. With the extra capacity on Blu-ray Disc media and BD JAVA programming, content creators have an open canvas to design new ways for customers to interact with their favorite movies." there is no mention of memory capability. A salesman at a reasonably respectable HT store thought it was but I was never able to get a firm answer.

Anyone here know??

Thanks

CarlTond

Auditioning
Hmmm, I thought all BR players sold after 11/15/07 (or there abouts) was supposed to be 1.1 compliant? How can they get away with a brand new model and not meet the BDA specification?

Thanks

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Where is this publicized? How does one find this out? Is there something official from Sony? Is it buried somewhere in the owners manual? Do other manufacturers advertise when they are profile 1.1 compliant? I'm looking to buy my first BD player and want to get something that is future proof and is not PS-3 (yes, I know it is a great BD player but I just don't want one in my AV rack).

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's not publicized. It's just common knowledge on an enthusiast site. Manufacturers with Profile 1.1 compliancy advertise is as such.

The Panasonic BD30 is the only standalone available that is 1.1 right now other than the PS3. The Samsung Universal player is rumored to be upgradable to 1.1 due to how they built the player to begin with.
it was sold prior to that date. It was quite sneaky.

CarlTond

Auditioning
Which enthusiast site? Is it just about the S500? If so, I'd like to follow it.

Following your train of thought then is the 1.1 compliance on products **released** after 11/15 or **sold** after 11/15? Everything I read said "sold" therefore the player should either be, or be upgradeable to, 1.1. Am I wrong??

CarlTond

Auditioning

Aww man, this just sucks. I had been told my HT store that it was 1.1 compliant.

Oh, well the movies I've watched so far still look great. Though camera mistakes like out of focus are MUCH more easily seen.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here, Avs anywhere really. The S500 and the S300/301 are both not upgradable to 1.1 and not 1.1. The only Sony player to be compliant until the newer models come out is the PS3.

On the other side of the coin, Sony annouced a few players at CES that are 1.1 complaint if not 2.0 compliant :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks