What's new

*** Official SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Ebert raved about it on his program this weekend (even made the now standard "Raiders" comparison) but Roeper didn't care for it all. I'm usually with Ebert on movies like this and I'm really looking forward to this weekend.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
You have to watch out for the dreaded Ebert-Jolie curve system he grades movies on
wink.gif

But I think he's probably right in this case. Can't wait to check this film out.

Take care,
Chuck

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
quote:Is it me, or does the movie look significantly less grey (much more colorful) on the current TV spots than on the early theatrical trailers?

EDIT: Nevermind, thatw as addressed earlier on this page. The look has indeed changed.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saw the latest trailer on TV last night. WOW, now we see why the film was delayed. It has gone from a completely amber colored 30's looking film to some muted colors (trailers in July) to several VERY bright colors now added back to the palette.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plus werent those early trailers just that, very early.

they probably were unfinished, didnt have the completed effects added in yet.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I picked up a free DVD at Best Buy over the weekend which includes both the teaser and trailer as well as a pretty gook EPK type behind the scenes mini-featurette. If its intent was the wet my appetite to see the film, then it succeeded. There is also a pretty good side-bar article in this week's Entertainment Weekly about the film as a part of a Gwyneth Paltrow profile. She has that 30's look down pat.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
quote:You have to watch out for the dreaded Ebert-Jolie curve system he grades movies on
This would be a lot funnier if it weren't true.

However at this point I generally can't base any choice on his opinions, either with or against him. For me he is all over the place.

But barring a RT score of 30% or lower this is still in my "to see" list, though I plan on saving it for the LA trip next week (better screens than Indy has by far).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote:For me he is all over the place.

Same here. I've thought for years that his reviews are meaningless with respect to determining whether I will like a movie or not.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I usually find that Ebert is a useful yardstick, providing that I take into account what he says in the review. Over the years, he does indeed take flights of fancy on things. But through reading the text, he's pretty damn careful about explaining why he enjoys a particularly bad movie.
smile.gif
Let's take the much hated Tomb Raider (three stars), his final paragraph details just what kind of delight he gets from it.

I'm the same, I have lots of guilty pleasures that I'm unafraid to give three star and above ratings. And as for Spider-Man 2, he was the one who talked me into seeing it, since his feelings for the original film were similar to mine, and of which I am most grateful.

Anyway, I'm all ready for Sky Captain..

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Angelina Jolie, take a gander at the cover of this month's cover of Premiere (tie-in promoting Sky Captain's release). All I could say was "Day-um!"

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, that is a good point Scott. And in regards to Tomb Raider, the only thing I did like about the film was that many of the sets did look like the game. If only they had used the storylines too.
wink.gif

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that Jolie does not even have a large role. I am looking forward to Friday and hearing what people think. I am sure that the cast chemistry along with the unique film style will make this film a huge success.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonight. She doesn't have a large role, but her character has a scene that got mid-movie applause.

As to the rest... I think my brother put it best when he said "Sky Captain causes happiness".

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
quote:Same here. I've thought for years that his reviews are meaningless with respect to determining whether I will like a movie or not.
I'm not sure I follow you on this.How can you determine what you gonna like based on his opnion,since he's not you.It bound to happen that some movies you like just like him or some you'll hate despite he's liking it,and vice versa.

Now Roeper on the other hand...........I can't remember to flock to a movie theater to see something on his recommendation.I miss Siskel!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's funny; I saw the movie about 3 weeks ago, and I left the theater very enthusiastic. I found myself wondering if I'd be in the minority, be it as one lowly internet critic or just as one loud-ass movie fan.

But now it looks like this thing may just be some sort of critical darling and fan favorite. And that makes me very happy. I suspect that most of those who've been excited to see SC are really going to enjoy it. I hope so anyway. It might not make my Top 10 of the year, but it sure will come close.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Looked amazing and it turned out to be the kind of movie you don't keep checking your watch...always had you wondering what was coming up next.

I give it an A
thumbsup.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
quote:How can you determine what you gonna like based on his opnion,since he's not you.

But with some other critics, I can at least see consistent reasoning that tells me why a film is good or bad. Ebert, though, is all over the place. He hated AOTC for the same reasons he liked TPM. He was asked about the inconsistency, and his only defense was that he liked TPM "at the time". About the only thing he's consistent on is his political viewpoint he expresses.

Me too, not only for his reviews, but because I got the sense he forced Ebert to think more carefully about what he was saying.

FredK

Second Unit
quote:Ebert, though, is all over the place. He hated AOTC for the same reasons he liked TPM

Ebert put in a 2nd review of AOTC in the Sun-Times after seeing it a second time, I don't know if it's on his new site... his first viewing was digitally projected and that deeply soured his opinion. The 2nd review was fairly positive, but Portman definitely doesn't get the Jolie bonus.

I can't say much about Roeper, except that before this he was the filler columnist that wasn't even important/vocal enough to respectfully hate.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
quote:But with some other critics, I can at least see consistent reasoning that tells me why a film is good or bad. Ebert, though, is all over the place. He hated AOTC for the same reasons he liked TPM. He was asked about the inconsistency, and his only defense was that he liked TPM "at the time". About the only thing he's consistent on is his political viewpoint he expresses.

While the TPM/AOTC inconsistency was bizarre, he's consistently a fan of imaginative films so its no surprise to me that Sky Captain is right up his alley.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
quote: He hated AOTC for the same reasons he liked TPM. He was asked about the inconsistency, and his only defense was that he liked TPM "at the time". About the only thing he's consistent on is his political viewpoint he expresses
Hmm I wasn't aware of this, I guess you follow his reviews more closely then I do.
quote:Me too, not only for his reviews, but because I got the sense he forced Ebert to think more carefully about what he was saying.
I agree they did complement each other much more closely,then with Roepert who is not much of a "challenge" to Ebert IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks