What's new

*** Official SHUTTER ISLAND Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Shutter Island". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, it's not one of Scorsese's best films. I thought it was too long, but found the acting performances very good. It's one of those films that I would watch only once, not because it's a bad film, but rather the subject matter is too depressing to me.

Crawdaddy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I though the movie started out great and I liked the conclusion and main characters catharsis - but the quite a bit of the middle seemed jumbled and off to me.

There was alot I liked and alot that I thought was eh.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found myself too far ahead of the film for it to unfold in a way that would keep my rapt attention, as there were probably too many cues to foreshadow the storyline, but it was intentional and a directorial tightrope to walk that line of dramatic tension in how much to reveal early on, plus those in charge of the marketing of the film should be sent to Shutter Island as well. But I digress.

Leo really needs to get out of the 1950s in cinema land, lighten up a bit, would ya?

As the film just spirals in darker and darker territory, the film does pick up steam, and then it decompresses for its impact to settle, Scorsese's pacing is well done, though it's not a film that many people will want to revisit due to its subject matter. Overall, the acting is fine, the filmmaking is fine, though some of the score was overtly and intentionally hamfisted at the start, but I supposed it was done in an exaggerated supportive manner.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks