What's new

***Official SHAUN OF THE DEAD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Wonderful movie! I'm not big on zombie movies except for Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead which I thought to more than just mindless zombie flicks. I'm sorry I didn't get most of the references (got the Ashe and the elevator) because I would have enjoyed it even more but it's a blast anyway. I actually laughed out loud a few times and I almost never do that at films.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
There's the good Resevoir Dogs reference too..."Stop pointing that gun at my mom (dad in Dogs)" with subsequent standoff. Slightly different in the order since in Dogs that line comes at the end of the stand-off before it all goes bad.

I caught the Barbara line this time around. I heard it the first time of course but was just not thinking about it as a reference. I also thought some of the direction was an ode to Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, the quick cut/zoom of action like when Ash is getting himself armed in ED1,2 and 3. Seems like the film has as much fun with the direction/scoring conventions of these films as it does with the plots themselves.

2nd time around I got more laughs out of things like "The next time I see him he's dead" as there were so many I missed many the first time around.

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Finally saw it yesterday with the wife. Great film. Although she didn't get any of the references, I caught quite a few. I liked the follow thru of "You've got red on you."

The audio mix sounded great, lots of ambient noise. Zombie moaning, pounding on glass, etc.

I also thought the epilogue was brilliant!

Only bad parts - for me, Spoiler:the mother scene for my wife Spoiler:the ripped apart torso. Not because it was gross, rather it seemed thrown in just because it was expected to be there.

WilsonBros

Auditioning
Glad you are all enjoying Shaun of the Dead!

Makes the aching feet, wretched contact lenses and having syrup blood matted in beards to see it going down so well in the States.

Not to mention the other peril Jessica Stevenson swinging a golf club at us take-after-take.

See you at the movies!

WilsonBros,

Zombie Twins

Shaun of the Dead.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I found SHAUN OF THE DEAD a breath of fresh air, and the wrap up hit the spot! I'm telling people to go see this movie, especially now that it's October. Reminded me of those great days of seeing EVIL DEAD 2 in the theater.

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
and I only have 2
thumbsup.gif

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sadly, "Shaun of the Dead" has fallen from the box office top 10 and the likelihood of a wider release is decreasing. It's STILL not playing anywhere near me.

Great job by the studio....
thumbsdown.gif

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night and really had fun!

I caught many of the references and realized that I watch a lot more zombie movies than I thought I did!
smile.gif

I loved how Shaun visualized the rescue scenarios with him as a hero in each one.

Ed was such a great character. So real and oddly likable.

Thinking that the 1st zombie they see is actually just some drunk girl was hilarious. Taking a picture as she is trying to kill him...great stuff.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Also, it looked like Ed (I think that's his name) had a spot behind his right or left ear where his hair was shaved. What was that about?

Maybe that was another 28 days later joke.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Shocked! "Shaun" is now playing at my local theater....which I didn't know about until a friend told me (he was there to see something else.) No listing in the freakin' newspaper either. A total of 3 people (including myself) saw it at the 2:30 showing.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Saw the movie again over the weekend and dug it just as much. Definitely one that deserves a spot on my DVD shelf.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Saw this over the weekend and absolutely loved it. Me and my friend were also the only two who laughed out loud at the "coming to get you Barbra" line...in fact I think a girl was actually laughing at our dorkiness. I'm definitely interested in getting a "Spaced" on DVD if that ever becomes available in the States.

And is there any chance of a sequel "Dawn of the Ed" maybe?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
quote:And is there any chance of a sequel "Dawn of the Ed" maybe?
Actually, that's not a bad title for a sequel. But no chance of a sequel. Edgar Wright attended the screening I saw, and he said that they had no intentions on a sequel, and were instead moving on to use their talents to make a "Shaun" style cop action film.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
I would give it the best picture Oscar now!We have that sorted now do any of you c***'s want a drink?
wink.gif

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just watched in last night on dvd. It was very funny. One common theme was. That if a character reconsiled with Shaun they died...Step-Dad, Mom, Ed.

Then end with them in the shed was great.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw it a few months ago. Heard it was so good that I bought it from the UK. I thought it was a pretty good movie but not really that funny. Maybe I expected more but I dont think it was as great as everyone said it was.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Let's revive this sucker (pun intented) :D .

I just watched this movie on DVD and LOVED IT! I'm a sucker for zombie movies and this one ranks up there for me. It had it all, good comedy, drama and a bit of horror. Can't ask for more.

I missed most of the references. Where's the "Barbara" line from?

EDIT: Simon Pegg must be Giovanni Ribisi's long lost twin brother.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Some of my favorite bits in the film were...

The many scenarios on how they were going to go rescure Shaun's mother, kill Philip, rescue his girlfriend, come back here (his flat, The Winchester) and wait for all this to blow over (wink). :laugh:

During those shots, watch Shaun closely as he swing's that chriquit bat during those scenes when they show him and Ed from the back running into his mothers house to take care of Philip, I swear he weilds that thing like a Jedi Knight with a Lightsaber! :laugh:

The scene when they leave Shauns flat to resuce his mom, and off screen that zombie kid throws a ball at Shaun. Just the mental image of that zombie kid throwing a ball is funny. :laugh:

And hell yes, the scene when Ed took the time (his sweet ol' time at that) to answer his cell phone outside the Windchester even though they had bigger fish to fry to say the least! He even took a load off and sat down! :laugh:

"Dogs can't look up."

-----------------------

"We're coming to get you, Barbara!"

-----------------------

Shaun...
"All of you stay here, i'm gonna go up and see if the coast is clear...(goes up..comes down)

Liz...
"Well, is it clear, Shaun?"

Shaun...
"No."

Liz...
"How many?"

Shaun...
"Lots."

-----------------------

{music}If you leave me now, you take way the biggest part of me...{music}

Ed...
"Who the hell put this on?"

Shaun (in tears)...
"It's on random."

:laugh:

Also, did anyone else think that Liz bore an uncanny resemblance to Renee Zelwegger in the Bridget Jones film's, both in appearance AND voice? Or is it the other way around? ;)

Great movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks