What's new

Serenity (2005) (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the only thing i don't really like about the Firefly universe is the Ravers (Reevers? i forget) are supposed to be these wild psychotic animalistic creatures yet they still have the skill and discipline to pilot spacecraft :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EricW said:
the only thing i don't really like about the Firefly universe is the Ravers (Reevers? i forget) are supposed to be these wild psychotic animalistic creatures yet they still have the skill and discipline to pilot spacecraft :)
Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars...the Ferengi in Star Trek...all the doofuses on the freeway during rush hour....
It doesn't take a Ph.D. to operate a vehicle. ;)

Josh.C

Second Unit
Good point Malcolm. As much as I love Chewbacca, he wasn't exactly a civilized creature, but co-piloted the Millennium Falcon, fastest ship in the Galaxy!

JC

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've always assumed that the Reevers get into a shitload of accidents, kill themselves a lot in general, and only survive through sheer numbers.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Patrick Sun said:
Chewy was also in "Dirty Pretty Things" with Audrey Tatou.
I can't recommend this movie enough. He may not be as cool in some of those other movies but THIS movie he screams cool. Not in an over-the-top way, but he holds the screen so well, it is very impressive. Very cool story, too, of London immigrant community and what they sometimes have to do to survive. Check it out.

Mary_P

Second Unit
The Chewy movie you're thinking of "Kinky Boots." It was in theatres last spring, coming to DVD in September. I haven't seen it yet, but from the clips I've seen, it definitely looks like a *very* different role for him....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Haven't seen "Dirty Pretty Things" yet, but have heard it's very good. Ditto "The Inside Man," which is coming out Tuesday.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Chuck Mayer said:
The bad guy isn't evil...he DOES evil. Evil represents a malice he does not have. He is a believer. Like Book, he has faith. His just might be misplaced. but that faith causes him to subvert natural moral instincts.
Hardly evil. That's what made him compelling. And he is aware that his acts are evil acts...but he believes a "greater good" lies at the end. If he was evil, he'd have killed the crew at the end and walked off.
I think the commodant of Auschwitz thought he was doing a "greater good." Hitler definitely did.
Anyway, now that the Operative has lost his faith in the Alliance, would he turn to the "Browncoat" side of the fight, bringing his ruthless tactics with him.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From IGN FilmForce: "In spite of a groundswell of grassroots support amongst its fans, "Serenity" has failed to revive the science fiction-western Firefly franchise. Even with DVD sales, the movie reportedly failed to recoup its $40 million budget. And as anyone who's seen the film knows, the exit of certain characters and the resolution of key storylines makes it difficult — or impossible — to recapture the chemistry of the excellent-but-short-lived series.

Joss Whedon himself, creator of both the TV show and the movie, broke the news to the Whedonesque.com website. He says, "There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or some such and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there."

"I've seen [Firefly actors] Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That wasn't the full story, Whedon fully elaborated on Whedonesque:

"Here's a thing: when "Firefly" was cancelled, my heart got broke.

Sounds a bit much, but it changed me. Not even "Serenity" could patch

that wound. I'm wearier, warier -- after all those years as a movie

writer, you'd think I'd be prepared for another lesson on my

unimportance in the scheme of things, but I wasn't. There are two very

separate worlds: the marketplace, and the bustling bazaar that is my

brain. The brain place is crowded with goods, ideas, sequels,

spinoffs, animated versions, miniseries, radio dramas -- this is just

the used goods. All the new wares are in there as well and it's

deafening. Once I create a verse I never let go of it. And figuring

out how much of my energy should be devoted to reawakening the

projects you all love with the actors and characters I all love, and

how much should be forging ahead and creating entirely new works

(which you are contractually obligated to love) is exhausting. More

than you know. You know the horse caught bwtween two pools of water?

Add seven pools, and make the horse wicked A.D.D. The other world, the

marketplace, I don't even begin to understand or predict. All these

rumor of projects or the death of projects... When the two worlds

align and something actually happens, whatever it is, you guys know

I'll be on this site as soon as I'm allowed to be. And I'll be very

very clear. There is no news. Not never, just now. I'm off to lunch

with Lonelygirl."

Your Scribe, -j."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To me , the story is:

"In spite of a groundswell of grassroots support amongst its fans, "Serenity" has failed to revive the science fiction-western Firefly franchise. Even with DVD sales, the movie reportedly failed to recoup its $40 million budget.
In this day and age, with all its supposed fan support, you would think a film like this would recoup its budget in the end. Guess not. Surprising....and then again..not.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
To me the story is:
the chemistry of the excellent-but-short-lived series.
The biggest hinderance the TV series and the movie had are the names: Firefly and Serenity just don't convey associations that interest most people or come off across as too cryptic.
Much like The Shawshank Redemption. If the movie had utilized the full title of the story - Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption - I speculate that the movie would have had a better theatrical run.
Fortunately, both found an audience in home video.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
It's not suprising to me that there are no plans to revisit this franchise.
A sci-fi film series with an overt western theme is a hard sell.
Too hard apparantly.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
To me , the story is:
In this day and age, with all its supposed fan support, you would think a film like this would recoup its budget in the end. Guess not. Surprising....and then again..not.
It's not. Serenity was one of the best movies I saw last year, but the fanboys wishful thinking and number inflation has gotten out of hand. I have never seen such a an attempt to spin box office numbers before. The harsh reality of this release's underperformance was always there for those who wanted to see it.
But Tino, I know you've caught some flak earlier in this thread for it, but you just seem way too happy about this. Not really sure what you gain from it.
--
H

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Holadem said:
It's not. Serenity was one of the best movies I saw last year, but the fanboys wishful thinking and number inflation has gotten out of hand. I have never seen such a an attempt to spin box office numbers before. The harsh reality of this release's underperformance was always there for those who wanted to see it.
--
H
It was my #2 film. I loved it. Not surprised there's no sequel. Perhaps a straight to video version ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But Tino, I know you've caught some flak earlier in this thread for it, but you just seem way too happy about this. Not really sure what you gain from it
Not at all Holadem. Seriously I was surprised that it didn't recoup its cost. As I have said numerous times in the past, I rarely want a film to fail, and I take no pleasure in the films boxoffice failures, despite what I thought of the film.
The film has plenty of fans. Most people I know really liked it, so I know I am in the minority hating it. I'm glad you fans are happy with what you got. I just ran across this item at RT and thought some might find it interesting.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks