What's new

Official Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I'm considering that too. But aren't all the titles in MPEG2 for the forseeable future? Unless it's a 1 hour, 20 minute movie won't all the releases be like this?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to unbox the player and hook it up.

I can now definitively say that this piece of crap is going back.

First, it gets stuck on "LOAD" and indicates that I can not switch over to component video. So I plug in a composite video cable, only to see the Samsung screen with an alert message:

I believe I will please ask back to the store for a $1000 refund.

- Steve

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
what're the return policies now for B&M stores (haven't shopped there in a LONG time)? 14, 30 or 45 days?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It depends on the product. In this case and store, a 30-day return with no restocking fee is an option. It seems to be different for digital cameras, computer equipment, and other items--restocking fees, especially.

- Steve

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Considering it claims the firmware is damaged, they ought to accept it without a restocking fee in any event.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Got my first batch of Blue Ray Dvd's this morning... Terminator, HOFD, and Underworld Evo. Will report back later..... The reviews of the first movies has me worried though :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have those same discs on their way to me. I should have them tomorrow, but the really good news is that I'll have my amp back this afternoon. I'll be having some fun this evening hooking up that 90 lb monster.:)

Crawdaddy

Mark Anthony

Second Unit

Dan I'm confused by this comment, I realise having seen many of your posts over the years at HTF that supreme quality is your goal, but given that the majority, if not all, films until the last few years have 16/48 soundtrack masters as a maximum due to studio and theatrical playback limitations when they were created which of the currently released HD titles do you know definitively have 96/24 masters - or have analogue multi-tracks so they can be remastered digitally to 96/24?

M

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,

Blue Ray looks just as good as HD DVD... Without a doubt... Underworld Evo tonight as well as Terminator... UE's detail was up to any high def PQ I have seen.... the image was sharp, and crystal clear.. I saw no MPEG artifacts what so ever on my Pioneer Elite Plasma.... I would rate the Video PQ a solid 9 for HD...

Now, Terminator, All I can say is wow!!!!! This is a 20 year old movie that looks like it's brand new..... Detail levels are just jaw dropping..... Zero film grain, super sharp image, and rich vibrant colors just pop of the screen.... I'm keeping my Blue Ray player....

Fifth Element which I have on Rental did look a tad grainy.... Not the best HD dvd I have seen amongst the 2 formats.... Not sure if the High Def format brings out artifacts and more grain, or they just didn't bring this release up to a high standard for HD... That being said, it still looks HD, but not as good as say , Apollo 13 HD DVD, or Terminator BD.

Blue Ray is the real deal for HD content, With 2 of the first 3 BD I have played really impressed me, I am sure it can only get better in time...

If you guys remember how much better the transfers got on standard dvd as years passed on....

I have seen excellent PQ 1080i HD content now on both formats..... They both have potential in my eyes out of the gate....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the Review Steven. One thing I have learned over the years is never judge things based on CC or Best Buy displays as they are almost never correctly set-up.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Also don't believe everything you read, on other forums... It kills me that people shoot of their mouths and 99 percent of them don't even own a BD or HDDVD player, nor have they seen Blue Ray in action..... Terminator's transfer is jawdropping to say the least.... This proves to me that the Format has the potential.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Oh yes, to add...
Went to my local best Buy this morning to pick up Syriana HDDVD... They had 50 First Dates running Blue ray... Looked good... They were using a Samsung LCD or Plasma.... Anyhow spun 50 First Dates last night also.. (Netflix), My Pioneer blows their image away.... This is another transfer that was super sharp, clean, and super vibrant colors... Im sure their display had sharpness setup way too high to start....

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Terminator should have film grain; it was shot on grainy stock and it was quite grainy in the theaters. If it doesn't have any grain, it has been over-processed. I can't tell for myself, however, since we haven't received our review discs for some reason.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Mark,
Needless to say, it looked fabulous.... You can remember what a movie looked like in the theaters over 20 years ago? :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Mark,
Needless to say, it looked fabulous.... You can remember what a movie looked like in the theaters over 29 years ago? :)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I'm relieved that somebody has found something good to say about BluRay. I haven't bought into any format yet, but I do think the BD group has made a serious blunder in the "format war." The first disks and first machines should have been -- stupendously great.

Really, the very first machine should have been a Sony, with Terminator disk included in the price of the player.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
So are the guys on AVS expecting too much... or is Steve accepting too little.... guess I'll have to go to a Best Buy and check it out myself..;

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

I collect films on 35mm. I could definitively say what a well-preserved movie looked like 20 years ago.

I'm dubious of your reports about BR since everyone else on the planet hated it. I saw it for myself and it looked atrocious. Even on poorly calibrated sets, HD-DVD looked much better, so I'm curious as to how it happens to look ok at your place. I bought a BR player, I just didn't open it yet because of all the poor reviews. Since I can return it, maybe I'll check it out myself, but if I see the same crap I did at BB and CC, it's going back the next day.

EDIT: To add: the 42" Samsung display that my local BB had an HD-DVD player connected to was the same that it was connected to the next day with the BR machine, so if you assume that nobody played with the display's settings, then the conclusion is that it's the discs that are the problem. At home, HD-DVD looks stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks