What's new

*** Official Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro DISCUSSION Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'll hear the 1066 on Saturday. The dealer only has the demo unit, but says when he gets in another unit I can take one for a week or so to decide. You know I'm going to open that sucker up and take a look inside. We'll get to the bottom of this one way or another.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I would, but I'm going to be on the wife's schedule. We're leaving Friday night and I'm planning on getting to the dealer's on the way home Saturday. I'm just hoping she doesn't try to stay too long. It's a family trip that I'm trying to turn into a demo session. I do have a call into a local dealer that I spoke to last week . They said they might have one in this week. The salesman was busy so I'm waiting on a call back. Evan, you know. The one in Avon.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If I demo the unit, it will be at the dealer in Avon, not Northampton, Mass. I will love to see it as I can tell the dealer that I am NOT reviewing the Rotel, but only the Rotel Amps to go with my Anthem. However, in reviewing the Rotel Amps, I would of course want to hear how the Amps reproduce 7 channel sound, 5 channel sound, stereo sound, DTS-ES, DD 5.1, analog bypass, etc. All those soundfields are very important when auditioning amplifiers:D ;) ;) :D

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Evan,
With all you've done for me with the group buy. I'd be willing to let you use my 1095 amp for a few nights if you want to try a Rotel with your AVM-20 at home. I have to warn you though. I have it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and no matter where you are in the house. You can still see the lights flick for just a second when you power it up. It's a pig when it comes to power. Just plain hungry.;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
"DACs and ADCs..."
I'm still swung by what Evan said, with 24/192 DACs and ADCs avaible in the Outlaw, why look at the Rotel? (Although I think the Rotel looks better! ;) )
*Plus*, I think it was (again!) John who mentioned that the 24/192's used in the Outlaw are top of the line. Same ones in the Anthem (a $3k - $3500 pre/pro...).
Maybe the Marantz are *not* top of the line. Or, maybe Marantz chooses to use the best DACs and ADCs it can get its hands on, and cut (or not!) cut costs in other areas...
Just thinking aloud... :)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Larry,

You must be reading my mind. If I wasn't on HTF so much I would have bought a really decent pre/pro instead of spending all my time here complaining about one. I know the Rotel isn't the holy grail of pre/pros. When the dealer made me the offer I started to think about how the equipment I have is pretty good, not great but good. Also I started to ask myself. If I'd never heard of HTF what would I do. I'd read as many articles on the different pre/pros and ways to improve my system and then start to demo gear. That's when I really started thinking about the offer. The AVM-20 is an incredible unit. But some quality mains and a matching center with a decent pre/pro will probably give me better sound than the AVM-20 with my JBLs. With the Rotel(if it sounds good) and the speakers my system will look like.

Rotel RSP-1066

Rotel RMP-1095 amp

61" RPTV

dual 250 watt 12" LFE subs

dual 150 watt 10" surround subs

Paradigm studio 60

Paradigm studio CC

4 JBL HLS410 surrounds(to be repalced with 4 Studio 20s)

Sony DVP-660 5 disk DVD changer

Technics 5 disk CD changer

Dishnetwork satellite system

Now replace the Rotel 1066 with the AVM-20 and replace the Paradigm speakers with my JBL HLS series speakers. Now with the above setup I'd PROBABLY have a pretty darn good sounding system. Maybe not by HTF standards, but I bet it would sound pretty good. With the setup below the weak link JBL speakers are still there.

Anthem AVM-20

Rotel RMP-1095 amp

61" RPTV

dual 250 watt 12" LFE subs

dual 150 watt 10" surround subs

JBL HLS 820

JBL HLS Center

4 JBL HLS410 surrounds

Sony DVP-660 5 disk DVD changer

Technics 5 disk CD changer

Dishnetwork satellite system

I need to fix up my system and spend more time enjoying it and less time on HTF. Don't get me wrong I like you guys a lot(OK enough mushy stuff), but I'm starting to realize HTF is starting to replace HT as my hobby/addiction :b. No offense guys. I just need to get back into listening to my gear more. I need to get what will improve my systems sound and stop debating over every little format and feature. Somewhere along this road I lost my focus.

Thanks for listening to the rant.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Legairre,
I am glad you are leaning towards the option with new Paradigms and the Rotel prepro. In my experience, getting your ideal mains and center is by far the most satisfying upgrade. Prepros/processors/receivers can come and go (and options, features, and performance can only get better).
Yes, the forums are addicting :)

Neville

Grip
O.K. everybody just relax.;) ;) . I sat down this evening and did some listening for about the last 45 minutes. Rather than trying to listen to all the features I just concentrated on 2 channel tonight. I plugged my CD player into the digital in, as well as analog in and multi-analog in. I know there have been some questions regarding the analog bypass on this unit and how it is set up. The multi-analog is suppose to be a true bypass while 2 channel analog is only suppose to bypass the DSP chip but still go from A/D then back to D/A. I will let the experts comment on this, just repeating what has been said in these threads earlier.
Here is my set-up. Krix Apex F L/R, Krix Centrix F C, Energy .5 R L/R, Energy ES-8 Sub. Arcam MCD player, Outlaw 750 amp. Tributary and/or Audioquest interconnect (nothing over 100 bucks a pair).
First impression is that build quality is very solid. However, if you like the rear of your units laid out logically and easily this does not pass that test. Connections are very close and unless you have a very big open stand it is very hard to change some of the interconnects without disconnecting those around it. Also the video INS and out are not located near their respective audio in/out which makes for a big mess of cable behind the unit. Rotel really could have done a better job here in my opinion.
The remote is awesome. I have not had a chance to do any learning or programming, but the layout is logical, buttons are easy to find and hit. It is very solidly built as well. Only thing I don’t like is it has a hidden compartment that you slide out a cover to get to those buttons and features. In order to switch sources you need access to these buttons, which means the cover has to stay slide out. I can see where this could turn into a breaking problem as the cover seems like it could break off easily.
I am lucky that I have two L/R analog outs on my CD player and a Digital Coax out. So I was able to connect to CD analog, Multi-IN L/R front, and Digital 1 without having to disconnect this allowed me to switch back and forth very easily to get a good comparison.
I chose as my listening material Genesis “Lonely Man”, Craig Chaquico “Turquoise Moon”, Zachary Richard “Big River”, Sugar Shack “SEB”, Reverend Ron and the Blues Congregation “She Was Your Man”, and Savatage “Gutter Ballad”. This gave me a very good mix for High Energy, to Blues, to Jazz, and Hard Rock.
Between all these materials it was very difficult for me to detect much difference between the analog sources and digital sources. However, there did to seem to be some slight differences. The digital source seemed slight thinner with a higher tonal balance over the analog inputs. Soundstage seemed slightly more defined as well with the digital source. Analog sources seemed to be a little thicker sound in the mid-range and lower and more forward of a sound stage. I didn’t really have a preference of one over the other just different.
No matter which source the overall sound was superb. I think this unit is very close sonically to a point of dimensioning returns. Given that I couldn’t tell much difference between analog and digital I think this points to this unit being very close to sonically neutral. I would have expected to hear major differences between the two if it was adding major sonic contributions to the music. I was really surprised that the digital source did NOT perform considerable better than the analog, just because my CD player is about 3 years old. This did make me feel like I made a really good decision on my CD player though, since it was able to keep pace with the newer DAC’s in this unit.
As far as differences between Multi-Input bypass and 2 channel bypass I heard absolutely no difference. The two input sources sounded identical for all material. This makes me believe that the 2 channel may indeed be a true bypass, but if not the conversion process is very good and added no sonic characteristics at all.
I have this unit for a few more days before I have to decide, but I can tell you given the remote and DPLII and NEO: 6 I may just stick with this unit rather than opening up the wallet for the Classe SSP-30. I was very happy with my listening this evening.
Tommorow I will listen to the different Music Surround Modes. I won’t be a good source to comment on HT playback since I still don’t have a DVD and only a VCR, but I will comment on DPLII later on.
I hope you guys find this helpful. Let me know if I am sounding confusing or you need some clarification.
Bottom line I think this unit is a good buy for $1500. I don’t know if it is a steal, but it is fairly priced, and as of right NOW nothing is competing with it at this price or below.
;)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Neville! I appreciate the review and hope to have my own 1066 for an audition tomorrow evening (if the dealer's promise is accurate). I do have a DVD player and 5.1 setup so I can add an opinion on the HT quality. Given what I've heard about the 976 pre/pro, I expect the HT aspect to be excellent. I remember reading that the 985 (the previous high end Rotel pre/pro) was also an ergonomic nightmare in the back panel department. Fortunately for me, my stand is/will make it easy to access the rear panel. Thank again.

-Steve Elias

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised that the digital source did NOT perform considerable better than the analog, just because my CD player is about 3 years old.
Neville, loved your review and I'm sure my friend Legairre will love it even more than I. I'm looking forward to listening to this unit in the near future for comparison sake.

The quote above is the only red flag I see in your review. I wonder what differences will appear with a much newer player...something like a Sony 555 or XA777 unit. Not criticizing here at all...just wondering.

Neville

Grip
Great question Evan. I was wondering the same thing. I could only come to two conclusions. Either the DACs and surrounding components are not significanly better than my older CD player, or the DACS and surrounding components in my CD player are as exceptional now as they were 3 years ago.
I tend to lean towards the later just because that justifies the large sum of money I spent on this unit. :D :D
However, the former would tend to support some of the members opinionsthat when Rotel did not use with the latest DAC's it put them behind the curve when compared to Outlaw and Sonic Frontiers.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised that the digital source did NOT perform considerable better than the analog, just because my CD player is about 3 years old.
One could also take this to mean that the DACs in the pre/pro aren't any better than in his 3 year old CD player too...
Legairre- If you do get one, you *do* have to let us know how it sounds, functions, etc! :)

David S

Stunt Coordinator
My attempt at seeing (god forbid listening) to new Rotel. Actually kinda funny/sad at same time.
On Saturday I ventured to a retailer in Ontario who carries Rotel line. Our conversation:
Me: Have you received the new Rotel 1066 pre/pro?
Him: Yes, have several in stock in back.
Me: Could I listen to it. If now (cause not set up) is not a good time, I could come back at YOUR convience (being nice).
Him: Oh no. We wont be setting them up in the store. I could sell you one from stock.
Me: Not even going to set up one? You have the $4,000 Integra set up right there, but your not setting up any demo on this potentially hot new product?
Him: Oh, the Integra wasnt even supposed to be set up. That was a mistake.
Me: So basically your telling me that probably the two best products you sell are "not supposed" to be heard in your store. Can I take one home for a in-home demo?
Him:YOU can buy one and take it home. We have a restocking fee though so you should be sure its what you want.
Me: "Be sure its what I want". But how do you suppose I do that if you wont set one up here and will charge me if I take one home and later return it. Should I go "use" another Rotel dealer to demo it and come to you and buy it?
Him: Yea, if someone else has a in-store set up, that would be a good place to listen. I can assure you however, our selling price is the lowest around.
Me:Goodbuy you a-hole!:thumbsdown: :angry: :angry: :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Neville

Grip
O.K.

Finally got home early enough to do some listening with my wife.

It didn't take us long after both listening this evening to notice that something just wasn't quite right. Last night I had attributed it to possible not being burned in, but I ran it all night and day today at very low volume so I am not sure that is now the case. I really tried to consentrate on the DACS last night and if I could here any differences between the analog source and digital source. I probably should have listened more closely to just overall sound rather than differences in sound. I apologize for not catching the below issue last night.

We were listening to some Collective Soul and to quote her it sounded "scratchy". She just didn't like it. So I got to listening a little closer and what she calls scratchy I call "white noise". So I turned of all the sources and just turned on the amplifier and the pre-amp. Turned volume all the way down to minimum and I got no noise out of the speakers at all. Dead quite. Turn the volume to the first incremental setting and there it is. White noise. Just so everyone knows I do not believe this is a ground loop issue. 1st because I run all my equipment through a power wedge line condition which is suppose to help eliminate these kind of issues. 2nd I hooked back up my Carver piece and dead quite.

I also noticed the noise didn't get louder even if I turned up the volume, so it is just a constant background noise..

Since I had my old piece hooked back up we relistened to the same CD and per her words "This sounds much better, why do you need a new piece?" Uh-Oh!!!!I think this is a deal breaker for me. This is why I really like in-home auditions. It is so hard to get a true feel for a piece without having some time with it in your own system. Maybe this will justify moving up to the Classe piece.

If anybody has some thoughts on this or you think I am headed in the wrong direction let me know.

Really looking on some feedback here, because I would hate to give any bad input on this product without making sure the issue wasn't on my end first.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks