What's new

*** Official Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro DISCUSSION Thread *** (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Will: In answer to your post directly above this one(#17), which you have since edited, I was referring to your comments that said, without independent verification, my conversation with the Rotel engineer which I reported, was just heresay, and perhaps a rumor. How would you feel if someone said that about something you said? IMO, it's just not right to try to malign someone because they are reporting something unpleasant about a company or product you really like. Don't you agree?

If you have any more questions, please get back to me.

brian a

Second Unit
I hate to butt in and ask a question about the 1066, but what's the latest info anyone has gotten about the avaliablity of the unit? My local dealer doesn't seem to have any info at all about it, but it appears to be more from a lack of desire to sell an inexpensive processor than anything else.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Last I heard (on this forum, believe it or not), Rotel had received the revised 1066's at the distribution center late last week and would begin shipping them to dealers starting Monday (tomorrow).

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Noise in the 1066, what noise was meant by the engineer. Please be more specific or don't bring it up anymore. It is all speculation what noise the engineer was talking about. So I suggest that this part of the conversation is dropped unless we either hear it from the engineer, or something jars John's memory about the specific noise the engineer spoke of. This is absolutely ridiculous! :thumbsdown:
I guess if some people don't want to stay on topic in this thread, maybe the people who are actually interested in facts and such about the 1066 should start a new thread, while those who want to keep bantering could do so amongst themselves! Can you imagine a newbie coming to this thread, while being interested in the 1066, having to weed through almost five hundred posts for actual facts and talk about the unit? C'mon guys, we're all grown ups here, let's try and act like it.
I urge an administrator to jump in here, as it is going way overboard.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
Greg is correct, according to Mike from Rotel, if you had read the post on friday, I already gave that info, but I do understand why nobody would want to go back and look through all this crap to find out actual facts with all these other non relevant posts hiding them.

J

John Morris

So I suggest that this part of the conversation is dropped unless we either hear it from the engineer, or something jars John's memory about the specific noise the engineer spoke of.
Steven: Sorry, but my memory is just fine, thank you. For someone who seemingly wants to drop the 1066/noise issue, you sure keep bringing it up enough.

Since you don't seem to remember the chronologic events concerning noise and the 1066, here they are one last time.

1. About 6 weeks ago, during a social event I had the opportunity to talk with the husband of a good friend of my wife's. He is an engineer and has been involved in the design and building of the 1066, among many other components. We were casually discussing how few low cost/high value preamp processors there are, and he said that people just don't understand the complexity involved in building a very nice, yet inexpensive unit. When I asked about the 1066 and its' availability, he said that the release may be delayed because they were having problems with the noise floor. That is all he said, nothing more. And I didn't ask any more about it either.

2. During a conversation here on HTF folks were discussing the near release date of the 1066. I shared with you what the engineer had said concerning the delayed release and that was that.

3. The 1066s are released and I get one to evaluate. Immediately, I detected the noise and knew something was wrong with my unit. I took it back to the dealer and we tested his only other unit which exhibited the same noise. Of course, we know now that Rotel has recalled the 1066 to fix the problems.

4. Sound and Vision reviews the 1065 reciever and also finds that it is noisy.

That's it. Hopefully, Rotel can fix the problem and the 1066 will be the panacea that you all seem to think it should be. We can never have enough good, low cost, preamp processors.

All I ask is that next time someone trys to share some information with the folks on HTF, you don't kill or defame the messenger. NOW, let's drop this issue till the new Rotels are in our hands and we can review them. OK?

I also would like an admin to jump in here and edit the posts where people lied about me or about what I've reported. I think we all agree that these type of personal attacks should not be tolerated.

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
You glossed over that one well John, kudos. 'Nuff said, I am not in the mood to argue anyways, seems pointless. G'nite, talk to you all tomorrow after I speak with Rotel. I promise I will not humour those who want to keep the bantering alive any longer. If a reply seems necessary, my position has been stated and in my mind this thread will be closed. I will start a new thread, or join in one if someone else is fed up enough to do it themselves which hopefully will not result in this bunk.

BTW, this unit is NOT noisy. There is a hum, in certain circumstance, but is not audible through a source in use.

J

John Morris

Those of you who are getting the Rotel 1066, and while we are waiting for the fixed units to arrive: what tuner are you planning on using with it? I've been looking at the Marantz ST-17 or maybe getting another Parasound TDQ-1600. Of course, I'd love to find a mint Rotel RHT-10. What is the current Rotel tuner like? Anyone using that tuner?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Can everyone please take all this defamation of character stuff offline? Then we can get back to serious discussion of the 1066 (& 1065). I'm also interested in the tuner options for connecting to the 1066.
Note:
Well said. We agree and are removing the offending text.
-The administration

J

John Morris

I'm also interested in the tuner options for connecting to the 1066.
Craig,

From where you live, how hard is it to pull in stations?

Do you live in an area surrounded by tall buildings?

Do you need a remote controlled tuner with presets?

Would you consider buying a used tuner?

What is your budget for a tuner?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Merc, I am interested in a tuner with capabilities similar to that built in to the RSX-1065 since that is what I am comparing the 1066 with. I assume the 1065 tuner is similar to the RT-1080 which is rather pricey so I'm wondering what else is available that might be similar.

J

John Morris

Craig: How much is the RT-1080? Other decent tuners to consider in the sub $500 pricepoint are the Parasound TDQ-1600 and TDQ-150, and the Marantz ST-17 to name a few. In the used market, you also have some nice tuners from Onkyo, NAD, Creek and more expensively, Fanfare, Magnum Dynalab, and Meridian. The MD FT-101A is probably the best sounding tuner that I have ever owned, but costs $700 or so and does not include a remote control.

What are your tuner needs and budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks