What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi merc,
As a shrewd negotiator I managed to talk the dealer into letting me have this highly sought after unit for full MSRP. :)
My previous pre/pro was an Adcom.
For the moment, I only have a DVD/SACD and CD player hooked up since I am using a temporary 5.1 setup in the master bedroom until construction of the basement theater is completed (hopefully by the end of the month). When I move all the stuff down stairs I'll have a 7.1 setup with a cassette deck, a S-VHS vcr, DVD/SACD, CD, TiVo, PC, and Dish HDTV/satellite receiver hooked to the 1066. For display I'll be using a Sony 11HT front projector on a 110" diagonal screen. I'll also be using the 1066 and a separate amp to drive a 2nd pair of speakers in my home office via the zone 2 controls. I'll have the 1066 zone 2 volume set to 'fixed 'and I'll control it thru a volume knob/IR repeater switch that is installed in the office.
I may hang on to the Adcom to use as a tuner. I know its kind of a bummer that the Rotel doesn’t have a tuner, but the other day I was thinking that maybe its not that big a deal. I know I'll never listen to AM radio on it, and as far as FM goes, none of my local stations are as good as the music channels available thru the satellite.
Gregg

brian a

Second Unit
I just talked to my local dealer and they have one on the floor as a demo, and one in stock for sale. I'm headed over there for lunch to check it and and see what kind of home demo I can work out. Any idea what a good price for these is going to be? I saw someone in the first batch that went out picked up one for ~$1250.00. If I can get that, it sounds like a good deal.

brian a

Second Unit
It sounds great. I just spent ~ an hour with it. It's very nice. I checked out the sub settings and you can set the sub at different levels for various sound formats. So you can turn it off for stereo. Well not off, but it looks like you can turn it all the way down. Let me know what other questions you have.
Best of all, no noise problems whatsoever. It had DVD-A hooked up and was silent at the speakers with no input.
The dealer I talked to here in Austin made me a good deal on it, but I asked if he could do better if I got a few folks to buy in with me. We can get a good deal if there are a couple of folks in Austin, RR, georgetown that want to pick one up. They offer a 7 day full refund return on it if you don't like it. E-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

brian a

Second Unit
If I pick one up, I'm actually not planning on getting one. It's going into a dedicated HT, and I can't imagine a time when I'll want to listen to the radio in there.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
I too am anxiously awaiting delivery of the RSP-1066 to my local Rotel dealer to check it out. On a more cosmetic note, has anyone heard of Rotel revamping the basic black face plate on it's latest equipment to a silver center front plate/black side panel (heat sinks)?

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
The "new look" for the Rotel's was discussed in the previous "official RSP-1066" thread (now let us never speak of that thread again ;))
The estimated availablility date I heard on the black and silver Rotel equipment is May.

W

Will

As I recall, Legairre said he saw and played with a black and silver Rotel 1066 at his dealer sometime last month. But I think he said it was gone when he checked back with the dealer. You may want to verify this, because I don't know how good my memory is. :)

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you looking to set the channel levels on the 1066 using 0db as your starting point on the volume level and tuning to 75db on your SPL, the S&V forum reports that 0db equates to 75 on the 1066. I understand the volume goes from 0-90 on the 1066.

Hope this helps.

David J L

Auditioning
OK. So there are discussion threads about the 1066 here, and at the S&V board, the AVS board, and probably more. And some of you participate in some or all of them. Help me out. If I have a 1066 question, how do I decide at which forum to post it? Are the forums somewhat redundant?

J

John Morris

David: I post it here first and then post it anywhere else you desire. This forum probably gets many, many more hits than any other forum I've visited.

So, what's your question?

David J L

Auditioning
Actually, I'm waiting for delivery of my 1066 (hopefully tomorrow) as well as most of the other components in my future home theater. Had been doing lots of research on the AVS forum prior to ordering my stuff, then discovered this forum. Looking forward to having the system set up, but no questions yet!

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
I tend to use all three forums. I often get a good range of opinions/answers.

Bring on the reviews. The 1066 has just landed in Aust. I will be auditioning one very soon.

J

John Morris

Are you getting a tuner?
Wow. Will, thanks for asking that too. My wife uses the FM tuner alot, especially during the weekend while she housecleans and does the laundry. It would be ridiculous for anyone to make do with 24/7 music without either a tuner or a 200 disc CD/DVD jukebox player... IMO. In my situation, the tuner gets used most frequently, and the DVD, or CD player gets used most seriously. This is our primary system, and I cannot make due without a FM tuner.

David J L

Auditioning
I do not plan to get a tuner for the theater room. Teaming 1066 with 1095 amp, Sony 900V DVD-SACD and ProAc Response 1S fronts, ProAc Response CC1 center, REL Q201 sub and B&W 8" in-ceiling rear surrounds.

The tuner in my music system (downstairs) is a Sony 550ES, which I like (but do not use all that much).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks