What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Another stupid Q:

I think some one else asked this, but not with this "spin".

Hypothetically, if I was thinking about getting a "fixed" 1066, how can I be sure that the dealer simply wasn't just sitting on his stock and never sent them back to the factory for the upgrade/retrofit/fix?

(Simple answer, I wait 6 months to make sure that I get a new/fixed one. But is there a better answer?)

J

John Morris

Simple answer, I wait 6 months to make sure that I get a new/fixed one. But is there a better answer?
Kevin: Yeah, I think so. If you want a Rotel 1066 and your dealer has one, just buy it, but make sure that your dealer has a full money back guarantee of at least 14 days or so. If it sounds bad to you, take it back. If it sounds good, keep it. Although the initial units that some of us got were noisy, Rotel has already said that not all units exhibited any noise at all, so you are probably not gonna know about the individual unit you buy until you try.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
:) Just picked up my RSP-1066 from my dealer at lunch today.:)
:frowning:Unfortunately having a ruff day at work today or I'd be at home playing with it right now.:frowning:
I'll get it hooked up tonight and report back. I'll see what I can find on it to see if it indicates any sort of revision number or mfg date. Also, I have a DVD/SACD player so I should be able to reproduce the problem scenario that caused the reported "feedback/hum".
I'll be testing with
Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD player
Rotel RCD-855 CD player
Rotel RSP-1066 (of course)
Adcom GFA-6000 amp (DYING to replace this with a RMB-1095!)
B&W N805/HTM2/SCM1 speakers
Gregg

W

Will

Very cool, Gregg!
We're all looking forward to your impresisions. :) Incidentally your profile doesn't list your city and I was wondering where you were (approximately), to try to figure out which dealer might have an RSP-1066 in stock these days.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Will,

I will correct that. I'm in Atlanta. Georgia Home Theater is the Rotel dealer here. I neglected to ask whether they had serveral or just mine. I paid for it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if this one came from "inventory" or was a special order.

Gregg

W

Will

Hi Gregg!
Thanks for updating your location information. :) Was your dealer out of stock when you paid for it a few weeks ago, or was he holding your unit for you after you paid for it, waiting for you to pick it up?
Will

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Will,

Rotel changed dealers here in Atlanta around 3/1. Georgia Home Theater received their initial inventory delivery on 3/15ish but there were no RSP-1066's in that delivery. The one I got was the first one they've received.

Gregg

Steven Phipps

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Phipps
In that case, I believe they would sell it. These units were on pre-order, no one could find one from the first batch I think.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
FANTASTIC!!!
This unit must know all the words ‘cause I haven’t heard it hum yet. ;)
The sound, what I have been able to try so far, is incredible. I'm struggling with the fact that my theater room is still under construction, so I did a 5.1 setup in the master bedroom. VERY VERY LOW WAF when she came in and saw speakers all over the dresser and night stands and cables running everywhere. I can't currently try a 7.1 setup because my rear two speakers are in-ceiling speakers.
So far I have only demo'd music. The baby fell asleep to some of the cool jazz tunes so I can’t crank up chapter 29 of the Matrix and let the bullets fly tonight. :frowning:
My demo material tonight has been Stereophile's Test CD 3 and the following Multi-channel SACD's: Billy Joel - The Stranger, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, and Roger Waters - Live in the Flesh. The Stereophile CD, which has always sounded great, just blew great away. My favorite tracks are the Sara K track and the Herbie Handcock track. I've never heard them sound so good. Even my wife stopped being pissed and commented on how good it sounds.
The Billy Joel SACD is fun, but nothing amazing. You notice how much better SACD sounds than regular CD, especially on high piano notes, whistling, etc..
The Roger Waters SACD, on the other hand, is a total sensory experience. You really are in immersed in the music. A lot of the other multi-channel SACDs try to show you how multi-channel they are (voice in center, guitar in left, drum in right, etc..) The Roger Waters SACD has some directional stuff but there are times when they also hit you with a sound (i.e. clock bell) from all five channels and you are engulfed in sound.
My biggest disappointment so far has been the Miles Davis SACD. The 1066 is so transparent I can now hear the tape hiss of the original master tape (this is definitely tape hiss and not the hiss/hum/loopback problem).
Unfortunately this review is really just turning into a re-discovery of tunes I've listen to many many times before and am now just really hearing them for the first time. If I had to pick one word to describe the RSP-1066 it would be "transparent". I really feel like the music is coming from the source to my speakers with no coloration - or at least as best it can with my current Adcom amp. I really think when I get my RMB-1095 I'm going to be in heaven.
I didn’t have had a chance to A/B CD analog vs CD digital yet. All of the CD stuff I listened to was thru the digital coax connector. All of the SACD stuff I listened to was thru the 5.1 analog bypass.
My only complaints so far are: the 5.1 multi-input jacks on the back are very close together. And there is no way my wife will ever take to this remote. I'm definitely going to have to get a Pronto and write some macros.
If you have any questions, fire away.
Gregg

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Thanks for the review. Keep them coming.

Can you confirm that you can turn off the subwoofer for the different formats ie. turn it off for music and on for HT, and it will remember the settings for each. I know the manual says you can and so have others in this thread but the proof is in the pudding!

BTW the 1066's have now arrived in Australia. I am keen to audition one soon.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Hi LarryB,
No, I didnt get a chance to hear one of the 'pre-fix' units. Rotel's representation here in Atlanta was in flux at the time the first batch of 1066's were released.
As for bugging your dealer, go for it. They've got a healthy profit margin on the Rotel line. They can stand to do a little work for their money. :)
Gregg

brian a

Second Unit
From the 1066 manual:

Always active in any system configured with center back speaker(s), Rotel XS monitors the surround channels, properly decodes them, and distributes the extended surround channels to the center back speaker(s).

This means that you can't turn off the XS mode if you want the normal 5.1, 6.1, or DPLII signal?

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add one more Rsp 1066 delivery. I picked mine up from my dealer yesterday along with my new speakers also. The best thing is...no hiss or hum of any kind. Just pure music. This is my first foray into a real HT, my previous system is a Bose Lifestyle. Fire away with the questions and I'll try my best to answer them also.

For reference I'm using B&W CDM 9NT front, CDM CNT center, and 2 pair of 602S3 for surround and rear surround. I'm still waiting on my plus order from SVS so no monster bass yet. I also amping with a Rotel RMB 1066 for Back surrounds and RMB 1075 for everything else.

Anyone in the Dallas area who wants to listen to it, just shoot me an email.

I can't go into analog bypass or sacd because I'm just using 2 channel analog from my computer to play music. And for the record, the DSP 7 channel stereo rocks.

Jeff

Rich Co

Grip
I got the one and only unit that arrived in the Philippines. It looks great and sounds wonderful but have'nt fully tested it yet.
The wife really loved the "cool" remote.:D

J

John Morris

Gregg: Congratulations! Sounds like you are really enjoying your new 1066! How much did you pay for the 1066?

What were you using for a pre/pro before you got your 1066?

Do you have a VCR connected to the 1066, and do you have cable or satellite TV connected to the 1066?

Users who are viewing this thread