What's new

**** Official review thread: HTF REVIEW: The Godfather (part of The Godfather Collection) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
godfather.jpg

The Godfather

*** warning: contains spoilers
I must give credit to Peter Bracke of DVDFILE
for the first review of http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_4/godfather_collection.html
Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Although I am a little less excited by what I've been hearing, there is no way that I am going to pass these up. I have to admit that I am somewhat saddened that these films are in that bad of shape. But like I said, I could not pass on these in good conscience, as they are just too magnificent in cinematic storytelling.
I envy you, Ron. What I wouldn't give to watch The Godfather for the first time all over again. :)
------------------
-Dwayne

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I had the opportunity to talk with Ron Smith, one
of the people responsible for the restoration. He
had told me how hard Paramount worked on that film
and how proud the restoration team was with the final
results.
I'm pretty sure I met Ron Smith (along with Garrett and few others) at the May meet. Ron S. if I remember correctly, is first and foremost a film fan. If he and the restoration team really are proud of what they could do, then that's all we can really ask of them, given that they don't have unlimited resources to spend on the project.
I've never asked perfection from the people who work for me. I've just asked that they do the best they can with what they are given. I can live with the results.
Sure, the Godfather films won't look like The Matrix (which was too green
biggrin.gif
), or even like Kane or NxNW. But if that's the best they could do, then I will live with it.

Derek J

Grip
I just picked mine up this afternoon at this video store that sells DVD's up to five days before their release date. I paid $70.99 for it which is a pretty good price considering Amazon is selling it for $74.99. Unfortanately right now my Dad is watching Barry Bonds try to hit number 70 so I'll have to wait a little while until I see them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
When I got back Sunday night from the "National Meet", I couldn't wait to get up on Monday morning knowing that I will be getting a package with "The Godfather" dvd collection. Sure enough, my doorbell rang at 9:30 a.m. and showtime was on...... I took care of "The Godfather" on Monday and "The Godfather Part II" on Tuesday while listening to Coppola's commentary on both films on Wednesday. I first read the novel back in 1970 and then saw the original theatrical release of the first film in 1972. Since then I've read the book twice more and seen both films numerous times in theaters and on various video formats. Watching these great films again on dvd got me in the mood to read the book again for the fourth time. As far as the dvd presentation goes they look very good considering the condition of the film elements and how these movies were filmed. Except for certain scenes that took place in Sicily, Nevada, and Cuba, most of the look of the film was pretty grim and dark. I am very happy with the dvd presentation, however, I'm sure others will have contrary views because of high expectations and comparisons to other classic film releases on dvd. Just remember that both movies were filmed in a way to look a certain way with alot of dark scenes.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 04, 2001 at 07:29 PM]

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Darn it! I want these movies. But I'm trying to save some money. Oh heck, you know where I'll be next Tuesday... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

bill lopez

Second Unit
Dang! So it looks like these dvd's are not going to look better than the widescreen laserdiscs from a few years ago.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Dang! So it looks like these dvd's are not going to look better than the widescreen laserdiscs from a few years ago.
I just finished watching the first film, and it looks considerably better than the last LD incarnation. In fact, I think the only reason people are so aware of the print flaws is because the rest of the image is so strikingly vivid.
M.

GerardC

Agent
Indeed, there were a lot of scenes that simply look fantastic and this makes a couple of the grainy shots and artefacts stand out. I did notice that the moments the picture didn't look so hot was mostly when a new 'chapter' was introduced (the first scenes of the wedding, the opening shot of LA as Tom Hagen goes to see Woltz, the opening shot of Sicily etc): any method in this (start of a reel or something)?
But this is a terrific transfer and it fully captures the warm colours from the original movie. Well done, and given the wealth of material on offer this box set has risen straight to #1 on my personal dvd favourites list.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Great review, Ron.
I have never seen these movies entirely yet. This will be another one of the many classics I will experience for the first time on DVD. With a little luck my copy of the collection will be here tomorrow (and French Connection 2-pack, which I have never seen as well).
Can't wait :)
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I still have my THX laserdiscs of GF1 & GF2 handy and was able to pick up the DVDs yesterday (never mind how! :)). I've only had time to sample GF1, but from that, it was evident that the DVD is a considerable improvement over the laserdisc for the obvious reasons (anamorphic enhancement, reduced chroma noise/improved stability, presence of extras). The transfers are otherwise very similar, which is generally a good thing.
The audio sounded better to my ears than the DD tracks from the laserdisc. I had actually preferred the PCM pro-logic tracks on the laserdiscs to the DD5.1 because the DD track made the inherent flaws in the soundtrack sound even more harsh. Whether due to increased bitrate or a sweetened mix, the DD5.1 tracks on the DVD are a marked improvement. The quality of the dialog tracks is still occasionally incongruous with the quality of the music and effects tracks, but this has been the case since the first stereo re-mix for the 25th anniversary release.
In short, Ron's assessment is on the money, the GF1 DVD is noticeably improved over the laserdisc, and the look of the film has not been drastically altered in any way.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
All of this is welcome news. The Godfather is the first DVD "box set" I have ordered, and according to my calculations, should hit my doorstep Monday. I was not expecting a visual experience on the order of "5th Element", or an aural experience along the lines of "Saving Private Ryan".
All I want to know is - is this the best this film has looked and sounded since it's original theatrical release. If it is - I will be beyond happy.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks