What's new

***Official PSP Post-Release Discussion and Review Thread Thread*** (1 Viewer)

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow that Ebay auction is terrible, the seller should be shot. Looks like the feedback is going to catchup with him. One feedback says that the supposed in stock links were in fact all backorders only. And yet there are still bidders, unbelievable.

Buyer beware read the entire auction and seller feedback BEFORE bidding.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Hey guys, I just picked up a PSP yesterday. I had no intentions of getting one, nor was I thinking about one, then 2 nights ago, I had a dream I had one and it sucked. So the next day in my down time at work I did some on-line research about them (bad move). Cause now I wanted one. so I got it yesterday at Best Buy and I got "Mercury" and the 2 year warranty. My PSP was supposedly from a "good batch" which didn't have pixel problems, but mine has 2 dead pixels. Ill exchange it when I get some time. Mercury is a fun game kind of like Marble Madness for NES but with far superior graphics in-case anyone wants to know.
Here's my question to everyone though.
Can we have a list of PSP download-able content sites? I did a search and came up with 2 sites.
http://psp.connect.com/
www.heavy.com (which you can get Red Vs. Blue on)
http://www.atomfilms.com/af/spotligh...emovietheater/
and some free Playboy downloads http://www.playboy.com/features/features/psp/
Anyone else have any other sites?

What size memory card should I upgrade to anyway? 512 MB? 1 gig? I want to store mp3s some pics, and some longer videos for car rides

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Got mine last week. Can you say "unbelievable"? "amazing"? "sexy"? "Best portable ever"? I can... :D

I notice nobody is talking too much about games. I used my little console for watching the Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast DVD on an airplane flight I made. 180 MB for 1.4 hours of pure, unmitigated fun. This thing beats a portable DVD player / laptop anytime... ooops, sorry. The games...

After playing Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, Need for Speed and Ape Escape, I think I might be able to give you an indication of this console's power. Current games are *not* Xbox / PS2 / GC quality. They are one level below...

...do you remember the Dreamcast? Well, that's the exact same console that comes to mind every time I play with the PSP. It has the same "feel" to it - almost current generation graphics, except for certain details. There's not much anti-aliasing going on (maybe the low resolution isn't helping at all), so jaggies are all over the place (come to think of it, the main advantage of the Dreamcast over the PSP was the lack of jaggies). The screen is too little to see every little detail... Ridge Racer and Need for Speed Rivals remind me too much of Sega GT. This is not a bad thing - I mean, I have now a little portable that has the power of a Dreamcast... wow.

I'll be using mine mainly for gaming. It's the only console I've liked since the Dreamcast... and the only console I liked before that one was the Genesis, so this is truly a big thing for me. ;)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
OK, I ordered a 1gb card off of Ebay for $144 (shipping included). its the only place you can get them right now. Everywhere else is a backorder, and I dont have the patience.

Anyone know how much video I can hold on a gig card? I understand it depends on the quality, but a rough estimate would be nice.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would say you could hold a Gig of video, well 940mb to be exact... sorry... really there's no answer for that it depends on the bitrate you encode at.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I kind of was looking for a really broad answer like "Minimum of 1 hour high bitrate to max of 3 hours at low bitrate" or something like that. Sort of a generalization of what other people are accomplishing with their 1gb card on a PSP.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone else kinda concerned at how few new things were announced at E3 for PSP? I know this is the mother of all console launch E3s, but I was expecting SOME surprises... I'm happy GTA is coming, but a little more wouldnt have hurt.

Sam

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I am a tad disappointed. Given that everyone says the PSP is a PS2 equivalent, you'd think there would be a bunch of easy ports.

Biggest dissappointment? GT4 Mobile was nowhere to be seen. Can you say 2006?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I havent seen or heard what was announced. But on the bright side, theres rumors (and pictures online) of attachable cameras, keyboards, etc. and software utilities, and different color PSP's. I cant wait for some other utilities to be released. Too bad we have version 1.5 software. I really would like to run an emulated version of Mario Bros. (can be done using 1.0)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

There are a few multi-platform titles which are expected to arrive on the PSP (i.e. more than just Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition): Need For Speed Most Wanted, Star Wars Battlefront II, Marvel Nemesis: Rise Of The Imperfects, The Sims 2, to name a few. You have a few franchises which will be tweaked/reworked to offer a similar experience on the PSP, including Burnout Legends, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (which we've all known for a while), Virtua Tennis World Tour, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo, Dead To Rights: Reckoning, among others.

Have you checked the preview for Pursuit Force?

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Wow while I was at Best Buy, some kid came back in to exchange his PSP for another because of Dead Pixels, he told me(as I was just looking around) this was his 8th return because of them. He wanted the package with the spiderman and Gretzky Hockey.

I found out those units at $339 are all the 1st and 2nd shipments and all have pixels. Gosh I only replaced mine once since I got it. I hope dead pixels don't show up now on mine.

Now I hear they want him to refund this package and buy the $299 pack with no software, cause they're the newest batch.
I'd do it since Spiderman 2 and Gretzky aren't very great. This kid can buy his own games or movies he wants.

RichardK

Second Unit
Ok folks if you havent picked up your PSP in awhile, then you have likely missed the latest cool as sh*t thing to come to a handheld gaming system.

Grab your PSP and download network update 2.8 (this also worked with 2.71) and upgrade. Next go to the PSP website via the browser on your PSP and download PLAYABLE GAME DEMOS!!! sweet! A new game Loco Roco is available at 8meg and World Tour Soccer 06 at 18megs. I downloaded both and they each played superbly. I am looking forward to more game demos!

Enjoy.

ps. I'm not up on what the DSLite is capable of so maybe this is not unique to handheld gaming. Yes, im aware that you can DL games to your cellphone/pda devices.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I second that. I downloaded the LocoRoco demo last month and have played through it numerous times.

I don't understand why I like it, it is so 'weird' but they certainly did something right.

Another great game that I picked up was Daxter. It is in my opinion one of the best PSP games out there. The game is fun(ny) and there are movie references galore, including Daxter's 'heroic fanasies' in which you reenact classic action scenes in his dreams.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Demo disc collectors may be interested in knowing that Circuit City will be offering a Loco Roco demo disc with the purchase of any PSP game beginning this Sunday (August 13).

I think I'll be holding off on a PSP firmware upgrade for now. As a homebrew user, the following excerpt from a PSP-Vault column has me somewhat concerned:
Of course, if I had a second PSP, this would be moot. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks