What's new

***Official PS3 Discussion Thread - E3 Launch Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

On the second day of E3, G4TV's Adam Sessler posed the question to J. Allard on-camera as to why PDZ wasn't available on the showfloor; his response was that PDZ had its time in the spotlight (i.e. the MTV special) and that Microsoft wanted to showcase other titles during the show. The initial speculation was that PDZ was pulled after the reaction it received from the MTV preview; however, both IGN and G4TV followed up their story the next day by stating that PDZ was shown behind closed doors to select media personnel and the game was (from their impressions) considerably better in both graphics and gameplay than what was shown to the television public a week earlier. I'm sure screenshots from the private screening will be shown eventually to the gaming public.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Exactly. We need to keep in mind that any games shown at E3 or a similar trade show will likely be alpha or beta builds, and are not necessarily indicative of the final products. Let's not forget that there are other trade shows scheduled later this year which are just as important to the gaming industry, such as the Tokyo Game Show in mid-September, where Microsoft can display near-final builds of games for the launch this fall. It's not a bad strategy MS is employing, i.e. underpromise and overdeliver. They want to give us a sample of what's in store, and when the final builds are unveiled, they want to exceed gamers' expectations. Nothing wrong with a little teasing. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Watch Sony's press conference in it's entirety (its almost 2 hours). There is stuff that was running in real-time. One video was of the Unreal 3 engine and someone was on stage moving the camera in real-time. Some of the videos were pre-rendered CGI, but some (the Fight Night one being a prime example) were real-time on the PS3 hardware.

Regarding PDZ, I'm still skeptical. I'm not doubting it's graphics will be good, but considering the quality of Rare's last few games, combined with the fact that most of their relevant FPS-related staff already left and the game has been in development for over 5 years, I just don't care anymore. I'll take a new Metal Gear Solid over PDZ any day.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

There's always the possibility that console specs and/or design will be revised prior to its launch. I may be in the minority, but I like the aesthetics of the PS3. I know BOSE products don't sit well with folks around here ;) , but to hold this against the PS3 because they happen share a few design elements seem a tad trivial. As for the controller, I'm reserving judgment until after I've held and used it.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
Jay brings up an interesting point about the Japanesse gamers. They didn't like Xbox 1 because it was too bulky for their apartments. Will this hurt the PS3? Only time will tell.

Brion

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
EGM did a comparison of the X-Box and X-Box 360 in just about every important aspect. In terms of size, they're roughly the same size (I think it's less than 1/2" difference in each dimension) and only 1 lb. lighter. If size is an issue, then MS seems to still be struggling with it.

In fact, there is a section at the end of the magazine where two guys who got to see the 360 early said it's overall style reminded them too much of a PC and not enough of a videogame console.

The PS3, I believe, is similar in size to the wildly popular and successful (especially in Japan) PS2.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The PS3 prototype shown at E3 looks like a sizeable piece of hardware. Here's a pic of Kutaragi holding the console during the conference (pic). It looks to be longer than the current Xbox; not sure about the width or height. Looks pretty slick with the black mirror finish (pic), just like the PSP.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
the PS3 is about 13.25" wide and 3.5" tall... thats wider than the current Xbox and the same height as the current xbox

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think I will be getting a PS3, but I do hope they change the styling for both the console and the controller.

The convex surface makes it look even bigger. I wonder how much room the electronics need?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected about the console sizes.

Regarding PS3 vs. XBox 360, I read today a bit of a Q&A with an analyst on GameSpot. It looks like the industry is going where Nintendo predicted a few years ago (graphics and such can only get so good, the new focus will be on capabilities and exclusive games or features), with the XBox 360 focusing on multimedia and online (which is basically the focus of the XBox 1, but on new hardware) and the PS3 focusing on looking at making games a new way and expanding the previous PlayStation focus (which is now more as an all-in-one multimedia device).

Online play aside, the PS3 has a broader focus and feature set. Frankly, I think Microsoft spilling all the beans too quickly, along with all those leaks leading up to the MTV event, will hurt the. Sony slowly announces new features of the PS3 and people keep getting riled up.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor

I am in Japan right now and I really do not think that has anything to do with it. It is not as though everyone here is living in a shoebox where the size of a console is a determining factor in the purchase. When I go to the game stores XBox has by far the smallest presence of displays and product. The Japanese may shy away from it because it is an American product or maybe because the software is too American. There do not seem to be any train simulators (which are very popular here, you can buy special train controllers for Sony and Nintendo), no pet simulators or other niche games that sell consoles here. For those who can only afford one console its all about exclusives and many of the games that are considered system sellers in North America mean nothing here. I think Sony and Nintendo give the Japanese gamers what they want where MS has created a product for the North American market and tried to export it straight to Japan without considering what the market here is like.

jeremy

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Maybe we should start a new thread for the upcoming PS3 discussion, in the meantime I thought I'd give this one a bump.

I read in the paper (yep, they still print newspapers) that the PS3 shipments in November will be about half of the initial committment. 400,000 on release day, Europe is delayed until March. Goal is still 2 million units by New Years. They say it's due to a chip delay or something, but Panasonic's player must not need it, it's still coming out on schedule.

Sounds suspect to me. I've been telling my wife I'll be picking one of these up, since it doubles as a Blu-Ray player. I've sold all my other gaming units, including my 360... Got to say, days I've missed them, but overall never have time. (2 kids under 3yrs old.) I'm going to try and wait until after New Years to read reviews etc., but we'll see. Along the Blu-Ray front, I wish the PS3 had a tray instead of a front load, something about it seems more fragile... Which is funny, because it should actually be better... but it just seems more fragile.

Any more updates?

Doug

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Slot loading doesn't apeal to me either, they have a nack of damaging my Dual-Disks.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Sony's initial projection was 2 million units in all three regions (Japan, N. America and Europe), but due to a shortage of blue laser diodes, the estimate has been cut by 75%, hence the new projection of 400,000 units for N. America and 100,000 in Japan (Ken Kutaragi confirmed this at a Japanese media meeting on September 6). The goal for year's end is roughly 1 - 1.2 million units shipped in N. America; the European launch has been pushed back to March 2007. Assuming that the supply of blue laser diodes will be addressed in the coming months, Sony hopes to have 6 million PS3s shipped by the end of their fiscal year (March 2007, I believe). The ratio of Premium/Core units has been set at 80/20% respectively. We should know more about Sony's online strategy at TGS (presumably a focal point during the keynote speech).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks