What's new

Official Playstation 3 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

wally

Second Unit
Unboxed a brand new 40GB Saturday. Is there a way to output to both HDMI (hooked to TV) and Optical (hooked to Receiver). I'd like to have the option of listening thru receiver as well as TV during "Quiet Hours":)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
wally said:
Is there a way to output to both HDMI (hooked to TV) and Optical (hooked to Receiver). I'd like to have the option of listening thru receiver as well as TV during "Quiet Hours"
Only one digital audio output may be active at a time. To do what you want you will need to change the output settings in the XMB every time you want to switch.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to say I went Blu a couple of weeks ago and the PS3 was the way to do it for me. now i've seen a lot of people evangelising about this games console as a serious BD player and i have to agree. I never thought i would have one of these lowly games machines at the heart of home cinema setup but how wrong I was. I've seen people complaining that there is no display to tell you how mush is left of the film, why!? you can have that info if you press one button on the PS3 on my other kit i turn off those displays while i'm watching i don't like the distraction.

What i will say though is a serious piece of kit one of the bargains of this whole format war. I have looked at HDDVD as well I mean the fact it's a great upscaler and there's loads of films out there i would happily buy but i think i'm going to be patient and see what happens with Blu.

Also can I just mention the media server part as well, i stream my music from my PC faultlessly, very impressed.

I bought the 40gb model so PS2 backwards compatibility but my boys has got one of those upstairs so not a biggie.

Oh yes and did anyone tell you, you can play games on it as well...Amazing!

Cheers

Lance UK

Real Name
John Parry
wally said:
Am I able to plug any, say Dell, USB keyboard into the USB port and use it?
As long as they use standard USB drivers, which I imagine they do, then they will be fine.
You can also use a wireless keyboard and mouse too if you'd prefer that.

Adam_R

Second Unit
ATTENTION SONY:

We are swiftly approaching March. WHERE THE **** IS MY DTS-MA SUPPORT FOR MY PS3?!?!?!

Thank you.

Adam

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The message we're hearing is that Sony is stalling the release to give Panasonic a chance to release the BD50 for a month or so to have some bragging rights before the PS3 gets updated for 2.0 and DTS-HD MA playback.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what would be the reason for that.
why would sony care if panasonic has bragging rights?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

You know how all of us with the PS3 talk about how it's the "best" BD player because of all it can do and the fact that it will be updated for DTS-HD MA decoding and 2.0 profile... and that it costs just a fraction of what stand-alone players that do the same thing will cost? Sony and all the other manfuacturers know that too, and so Sony purposefully 'holds back' the time-table of some of its updates for the PS3 so other manufacturers can have a chance to market and sell products before the PS3 gets updated and competes for sales based on those features.

Sony is a member of the BDA which is made up of all those other companies making BD players. Neither Sony nor the other BDA members want the potential sales of their new stand-alone players trounced right off the bat by saavy HT consumers just buying the PS3 instead to get the same features for less money. So Sony purposefully "holds back" it's updates for the PS3 to allow other manufacturers of stand-alones to get their hardware out for a month or two to get some sales... then the PS3 releases a firmware update that provides the same featureset.

Toshiba had great hardware at a great price. But the downside was that by undercutting the potential profits of other manufactures, other companies stayed out of the HD DVD hardware game. Sony doesn't want to make that same mistake, they want to ENCOURAGE other manfucturers to make fully featured BD hardware and to turn a profit doing so.

Sony did the same thing BTW with the update for profile 1.1 PIP on the PS3... Panny had released the BD30, which was one of the first profile 1.1 PIP players on the market, for about a month before Sony swung in and released the update to make the PIP profile 1.1 spec too.

That gave Panny room to sell some products and be able to put out marketing material bragging about the exlusive features of their players for a little while before the PS3 offered the same thing for a free update.

No format can be sustained long-term with only one manufacturer producing and supporting hardware, and Sony doesn't want to discourage product development from other manufacturers by negating the profitability of their every effort by releasing updates for the PS3 that trump their product design/release schedule.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There's also more to the PS3 than just lossless audio for movies, and Sony doesn't release dozens of incremental updates. They release BIG updates, and there's a ton of new functionality being worked on for the next release.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Because unlike To--er, some other companies, they're willing to work with their partners. Also, IIRC Panasonic didn't just help develop Blu-ray, they also own most of the patents.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Panasonic has had by far the best standalone players so far as well. So hurting them would hurt the format. Not everyone will buy a PS3, no matter how awesome it is. And if they only had Sony's players to judge, well not as bad as if there were only Samsung players to judge, but you see what I'm saying...

Adam_R

Second Unit
Zack Gibbs said:
There's also more to the PS3 than just lossless audio for movies, and Sony doesn't release dozens of incremental updates. They release BIG updates, and there's a ton of new functionality being worked on for the next release.
that's news to me
i can remember a lot of small updates (small on functionality mind you, not file size)

Real Name
John Parry
Sony have so far released updates via the standard way of logging these things which is broken down into the classic update labelling of major.minor.repair
This would be V1.10 Major=1, Minor=1, Repair=0
I may be missing something from the list but it's something along the lines of...
V1.10 (November 17, 2006)
V1.11 (November 28, 2006)
V1.30-1.32 (December 21, 2006)
V1.50-1.54 (February 28, 2007)
V1.60 (March 23, 2007)
V1.70 (May 3, 2007)
V1.80-1.82 (June 28, 2007)
V2.00 (November 8, 2007)
V2.01 (November 19, 2007)
V2.10 (December 18, 2007)
Sony made a clear statement recently that there wouldn't be so many of the minor (After the "." in the V number) in the future and that they would go for larger updates with longer gaps between them.
Going back to why the PS3 wasn't launched as a fully fledged Profile 2 BD player. One of the problems that Toshiba made with their HD DVD players was that they were producing the most fully featured players and selling them at quite a large loss which not all companies could handle.
Most of the players out there now are either Toshiba players or re-badged Toshiba players with a different companies branding on. One of the problems with this is that if somebody walks into a shop and sees a Toshiba player a re-badged player from a company they've never heard of with exactly the same features listed (Due to the hardware being exactly the same) but the Toshiba branded model is also cheaper then nobody buys the re-badged model.
It was quite clear to see this when Toshiba kept cutting the prices and other companies started to drop out of their agreement to re-badge the Toshiba players and just stopped supporting HD DVD.
Sony have needed to work with their partners to ensure that Blu-ray was a success.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Please forgive me for asking this, but wow this is a long thread, i did a search but i came up with just too many results.
Ive been using my PS3 for BD for quite a while, but now ive finally got my new amp on order, and Onkyo NR905.
so what im wondering is what settings should i be using to get my lossless audio?
I believe i should be bitstreaming to my amp is that correct?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, no,

the PS3 has two main faults:

1. it won't bitstream advanced audio codecs over its hdmi 1.3 (it's not a full-featured HDMI 1.3 chipset)

2. it doesn't have multi-channel analog out.

So you can't use the advanced audio decoding inside the Onkyo with the PS3. But instead you'll set the PS3's HDMI output settings to "PCM" which will instruct the PS3 to decode advanced (and non-advanced) compressed audio streams to PCM and then send it that way to your receiver.

It's hoped that a future update will let the PS3 stay in "bitstream" mode yet make it smart enough to decode advanced audio to PCM when it's there... so you could still go bitstream with regular DD and DTS incase your receiver offers better DSP on those signals if you choose.

Internal DTS-HD MA decoding will be coming to the PS3 a couple of months *after* the Panny BD50 has been on the market (to let the Panny have a chance to gather sales before the PS3 offers 2.0 profile and DTS-HD MA decoding on its own).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I believe i should be bitstreaming to my amp is that correct?

As David explained above, no. You're getting the same lossless audio regardless of where it's decoded, though, just a different light on the receiver. This unpacking to PCM is not an extra step required with player decoding, it would have to happen in the AVR anyway before processing-D/A conversion.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Russell B said:
I have my PS3 set to "normal" on the upscale and my LCD tv set to "just Scan" mode. When i play Pulp Fiction and Weird Science the picture appears in the center of the screen with black bars top, bottom, and the sides.
Anyone know what i may have setup wrong?
With "Weird Science", the old release is non-Anamorphic, but the newer "High School Reunion Collection" is Anamorphic.
With "Pulp Fiction", the original release is non-Anamorphic, but the newer CE/LE are Anamorphic.
What´s "just scan"-mode anyway? No overscan, or..?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks