What's new

*** Official OPEN WATER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
The husband whining?

I thought that THAT was one of the most "real" moments in the entire movie. The bickering that went on between the two of them was so fantastically real it would be very difficult to NOT put yourself in their position. I think everyone would react in the same way and that is why the film succeeded.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
quote:I thought that THAT was one of the most "real" moments in the entire movie. The bickering that went on between the two of them was so fantastically real it would be very difficult to NOT put yourself in their position. I think everyone would react in the same way and that is why the film succeeded.

I could see where someone unfamiliar with such arguing techniques could suspect that dialogue to be a writer's impression of what a petty argument like that would sound like. Truth is, those petty little exchanges were very realistic. I've yet to have such an argument with my girlfriend, but I've told her about so many that I've heard or been involved in over the years (from my own parents to noisy apartment neighbors to my own childish self) that she wasn't totally surprised to hear me laughing in recognition as those scenes played out, somewhat surprised though she was since she never really believed that people could argue so ridiculously, and hasn't really been in this relationship long enough for it to degenerate to that level. Obviously, we're both hoping it never will...

What was that line he says after he's done screaming at the top of his lungs and she says "Are you done?"

"Oh, what, are we doing the silent thing, now?!?"

Priceless.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The arguing may be realistic, but I've never been trapped in the middle of the ocean with a SO before...so I don't know
wink.gif

I think I liked the movie, but I feel a little split on it. I know one thing, I would have been in total panic mode way before they were. I have a thing about getting left behind
smile.gif

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote:I thought that THAT was one of the most "real" moments in the entire movie.

I agree and I also did not see it as whinning. And that exchange is not only limited to a husband and wife as it is not uncommon to see or hear it with any other relationship between two people in a blame and loss of opportunity situation.

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I said earlier:

>>And that exchange is not only limited to a husband and wife as it is not uncommon to see or hear it with any other relationship between two people in a blame and loss of opportunity situation.

And those who disagree obviously have not seen a single episode of The Apprentice.
wink.gif

~Edwin

todd stone

Screenwriter
I don't know why, but for some reason the scene at the end when she pushed him away to get eaten, REALLY bothered me bigtime. If I were going down, I would hold on to the one I loved as long as possible.

I am sorry, since we do not know WHAT THE HECK truly happened out there, I have nothing but anger torwards the director for coming up with this scene.

Reminded me of War of the Roses, when she shoved his hand away at the end.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
quote:I don't know why, but for some reason the scene at the end when she pushed him away to get eaten, REALLY bothered me bigtime. If I were going down, I would hold on to the one I loved as long as possible.

But, at that point, he was chum, chum! Maybe they, you know, met again in Valhalla, lo?
smile.gif

I'm mad at the filmmakers for failing to make a better film. I'm mad at my wife for dragging me to see this substandard attempt at horror and making me miss the all-too-brief local engagement of "Gozu". And I'm mad at myself for halfway enjoying the only scene you hated!
smile.gif

Marc Bax

Second Unit
Bored me to tears. The only part I enjoyed in the least was the night scene. The scariest part was the fact these two unlikable bastards were allowed to live for 80 some screen minutes. Might have been better had the characters actually had some redeeming qualities, as it was I was waiting for them to die. Don't believe the hype, and lets hope Saw ends up being better then this.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I went along with a few friends to see this one a while back (it was the birthday of one of said friends, and he loves sharks, so we took him to see it). The other three people loved it, but I found it depressing as hell. Seeing

Spoiler:the disintegration of Susan and Daniel's relationship, watching as they screamed at each other

and to have

Spoiler:both of them die with harsh words just about the last things they said to each other -- I was just very upset about the whole thing.

Particularly since the opening crawl says "Based on true events", I was expecting

Spoiler:eek:ne or both of them to live through the film....but when both of them died I was immensely upset. I had at least hoped Susan had lived through it and it was her story that they had based it on.

Anyway. Good film, I suppose....but I won't be seeing it again.

Incidentally, there were a LOT of people sucking their breath in through clenched teeth during the shark scenes. I was one of 'em. One woman sitting about six seats to my left nearly had a hysterical breakdown and had to leave the theater not long after the sharks started swarming.

cheers,

Phil

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
it was whining in my opinion because at every opportunity from the beginning he was always in a position of weakness with her. She just always came across as the stronger of the two. Did the exchange sound real-yes, but normally it is the female sounding so vulunerable.

of course it sounded like a realistic bickering couple arguing about everyday stuff. but do you think two people bobbing up and down in the ocean would be so calmly arguing with no rescue in sight.

as Marc said the movie was a BORE, at least two me. the drivel i saw tonight suspect zero was at least more interesting - but then even aaron e. can act circles around the unknowns in OW. Now if only could help me understand what ben kingsley is thinking these days.
smile.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, 67 posts and no mention of Blanchard Ryan's nude scene! What the hell is the matter with you guys?
smile.gif

I liked the beginning with Daniel calling Susan and asking her if she turned everything off and it turns out he's in the car outside and she is inside. I laughed my head off because my roomate has done that a couple of times.

I figured Daniel died from shock and exhaustion more than blood loss. I was shocked when Susan pushed away his body and proceeded to kill herself. I was expecting her to survive.

I didn't know about the real life incident that inspired this movie.

I find it incredulous that after this movie premiered at Sundance that an incident similar to this happened. Don't people know how to count?

*** 1/2 Stars.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
quote:I didn't know about the real life incident that inspired this movie.

I think this is a bit of misnomer. I believe the film was inspired by other stories of divers getting lost at sea. It wasn't inspired by a specific incident.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
I know the real story, this is one case of the true story being much more interesting then the film based upon on it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I saw this over the weekend and thought it was pretty good. No it did not have the most amount of action I have ever seen and it did not even feature a great deal of shark footage as the previews suggest. However, I did think it presented a very frightening and desperate situation. Hollywood often forgets that the simplest of premises often is quite scarier than elaborate stories. I did really believe the situation and the reactions of the couple. Some people have suggested that they did not believe that the couple would go into a bickering mode like that, but I think it was totally believable that would happen before they truly realized how desparate the situation was and banded together again (especially since the relationship was already going through some minor strain even before they got in the water.) How many people here get into bickeing matches with their partners for something as stupid as missing a turn or and exit while driving somewhere and end up getting lost. I did not feel like there was much action, but when things started happening it the water it was truly tense. I'll take a few moments of sheer tension over 2 hours of boring, pointless action scenes anyday.

I do agree with the poster who lamented that the night scene was so quick and it could have been a very hellish experience had it been explored more, but I'm guessing that with the budget and methods used to shoot the movie, it would have been quite difficult to have an extended night shoot. The only light that was used was that of the actual lightning and that probably was not purely a stylistic choice.

In the end, decent. A little slow at times, but it's quality over quantity.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
quote:I do agree with the poster who lamented that the night scene was so quick and it could have been a very hellish experience had it been explored more, but I'm guessing that with the budget and methods used to shoot the movie, it would have been quite difficult to have an extended night shoot. The only light that was used was that of the actual lightning and that probably was not purely a stylistic choice.

I got the distinct impression that the night footage was simply altered day or dusk footage. I seemed like it would be much cheaper than actually shooting at night, waiting for lightning to strike to illuminate both the couple and the sharks under the water. Plus, the scene is largely just a black screen with very brief flashes of footage, so a night shoot probably wasn't even necessary.

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
I'm somewhat pissed off. Although I realized that Susan killed herself, I feel cheated by the movie theater. They killed the credits just as the movie ended and turned the house lights on. It wasn't until I read the posts here that I found out about the posessions found when the shark was gutted. Should I call the manager and ask for a refund or a concession credit or should I just let it be?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:Should I call the manager and ask for a refund or a concession credit or should I just let it be?

I would ask for something. You missed part of the story. It's not like these were just outtakes or gag reel footage.

Besides, the movie isn't over until the credits end. If you can't watch until the end of the credits, the theater isn't delivering the full show you paid to see.

It should be your choice to skip the credits, not the theater's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks